Torque limiter mod - only for out of warranty bikes

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
jaanusj
Two wheeled terror

Torque limiter mod - only for out of warranty bikes

Postby jaanusj » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:10 pm

I noticed that my 05 SD has problem with torque limiter. After couple of days surfing through superduke and avdrider forums i decided to repair it as advrider LC8 guys described:

1. Remove generator cover
2. Take torque limiter gear
3. Connect halves of gear - by welding
4. Put all back together
5. Add oil

Now the limiter is a simple gear as it was on LC8 engines before 2005.
No more strange noises and it work fine :D

Cost: 10 EUR for welding

Picture of modified limiter:

Last edited by jaanusj on Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
SD 2005

harvester
Two wheeled terror

Postby harvester » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:02 am

Can it harm the engine in any way?
Torque limiter is a warranty job for out of warranty bikes too..
Mine is very loud now, but I've just glued the left side carbon guard on the engine last weekend :x
06 SD with 07 headlight mask, HID, Akras, MH Motobox, MH SAS blockoffs, MH's reshaped flyz, O2 eliminators, KTM alarm
http://bikepics.com/members/harvester/

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 am

Dude this was a warranty issue on SDs that will be fixed out of warranty.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

jaanusj
Two wheeled terror

Postby jaanusj » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:30 am

If your dealer agrees to change it as warranty issue then of course you should go for new cover and limiter. If you don´t have this option you can consider this mod. LC8 adventure guys have used this on their bikes without any problems, even some dealers did this because new limiters were not available.
Before 2005 bikes they did not have any problems at all because there was no torque limiter...
KTM added it because they thought fuel injection can cause engine rotation to opposite direction during start. Design was bad so they made new one.
New torque limiters which they install can hold more then 100Nm which is pretty much the same as limiter shaft or this weld joint can withstand.
Last edited by jaanusj on Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
SD 2005

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:37 am

Do you have to drop the oil to do the torque limiter?

Spoke to KTM UK and say they will sort this out on my bike however my local dealer has not got back to me :roll:

jaanusj
Two wheeled terror

Postby jaanusj » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am

About 600ml of oil comes out from the engine - you should use something to catch it and measure the amount .
SD 2005

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:13 am

Superdan wrote:Do you have to drop the oil to do the torque limiter?

Spoke to KTM UK and say they will sort this out on my bike however my local dealer has not got back to me :roll:

I just replaced the cover. Tip it over and no oil comes out. I hang mine on a strap from the roof. Tip: check roof and strap if strong enough! :)
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:44 pm

I have been swapping Emails with Redline KTM for weeks about this!

They have told me that it was never a recall item and the best KTM will do is supply the parts for free but the dealer will charge for work for hours labour.

I can either pay for the Part which is £164 delivered but if Redline do the work the part comes for free but with a £150 labour charge :roll:
The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

Ya Mother
Stunt rider

Location: newcastle, the one in the shit hemisphere with the shit weather. and the slutty big breasted women!

Postby Ya Mother » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:42 pm

What is a torque limiter.....and how do you know when you have a problem with it. :?
What the deuce?

harvester
Two wheeled terror

Postby harvester » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:32 pm

You will know it, very irritating and noisy rattling noise when the bike won't start.. :evil:
It will do it more often and often..
06 SD with 07 headlight mask, HID, Akras, MH Motobox, MH SAS blockoffs, MH's reshaped flyz, O2 eliminators, KTM alarm
http://bikepics.com/members/harvester/

gfunkmc
Two wheeled terror

Postby gfunkmc » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:50 pm

just had mine done by dealer a few months ago 3 seperate dealers i phoned and the best i got was 1/2 price parts and labour cod i had a service history but it wasnt KTM service history cost me 195 quid but the kit alone is 160 so its not worth doing ur self for 35quid WISH THIS POST CAME UP EARLIER COULD HAVE SAVED A FEW QUID LOL

Hotbrakes
Stunt rider

Postby Hotbrakes » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:45 am

Just had mine welded and put her back in...no more clack clack clacking!

I've got a 06 and since it wasn't sold in the US, the US dealers seem reluctant to check with KTM about replacing the part through KTM. Plus the local dealer who seemed halfway interested in helping me just closed up shop. The other told me to bring the bike in, pay the diagnostic fee, and then they would look at fixing it. But without a guarantee of KTM taking care of the problem at minimal cost to me I didn't want to go through all that BS. So I finally spent about 10 minutes to pull it out, had a friend put a beautiful bead of metal around it and its fixed! I now feel whole again with the SD ready to go. Now I just need to tackle the overdue valve check...once its too cold to ride!

Remy
Minimoto racer

Re: Torque limiter mod - only for out of warranty bikes

Postby Remy » Wed May 04, 2011 5:51 pm

Hi.
Does someone have a picture of the welded limiter ?
Link is dead :(
Thanks !

jaanusj wrote:I noticed that my 05 SD has problem with torque limiter. After couple of days surfing through superduke and avdrider forums i decided to repair it as advrider LC8 guys described:

1. Remove generator cover
2. Take torque limiter gear
3. Connect halves of gear - by welding
4. Put all back together
5. Add oil

Now the limiter is a simple gear as it was on LC8 engines before 2005.
No more strange noises and it work fine :D

Cost: 10 EUR for welding

Picture of modified limiter:

album_pic.php?pic_id=1420

jaanusj
Two wheeled terror

Postby jaanusj » Wed May 25, 2011 10:14 pm

I dont have the old pictures but you can just remove it and weld the two parts of this gear together.
SD 2005

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Result:
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

sequentialshift
Two wheeled terror

Postby sequentialshift » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I did the job today .. I couldn't find an online how to ,, So just had a bash at it and it was easy enough . I took a few pics .

Tools ... Not to many couple of sockets . Pliers . Circlip pliers .. and optional crimp hose clip pliers .

I drained the oil and incorporated an oil change into the job . So drain bolts and filter out . This is actuallly a pic of the new one installed and all oily with me mucky hands ,, It all clean now and looks just the same as the old one . So it dont really matter much .

The Kit comes complete at around £170 . All you need gaskets new cover etc . And oil in my case . Mine seems to quite like that oil ? Should I risk asking opinions on oil ? :D

So cut the hold hose clip off and undo the bolts give it tap with the plastic hammer and it should pop a bit . Big magnet action so it sticks there too . Once its off pull out the clip that retains the wire with a pair of pliers . You will need that again .

Then take out the bolts holding the nice lump of copper and remove . Stick it to the bike so it wont hang on its wires or get lost .

The bigger part of the limiter gear just lifts off and the small part has a circlip and washer .. You will need these again do not pinng it into a dark corner as they do :D . It also rides on a bearing . Remove the bearing and place on the same part on you new casing . Put your new parts back on the new casing in same way as you took off the old ones reversed .

Old and new spot the difference game ..

You will also need to transfer over the locators from the old casing . . So thats one bearing . one circlip and 2 locators added from the old to the new .

Put the copper back in .. Reuse the clip from the old to fasten the wires in the new .

I put the locators in the engine so I could hang the new do not bend alloy gasket from while I lined up the casing .

Bit of faffing fighting the magnetics and a jiggle of the new gear with a screwdriver saw it slide home . Casing bolts in .. Hose reconnected . They supply a crimp clamp . I have crimp clamp pliers well actually wire strippers but they do a nice job .. If you dont have this use a normal hose clip .

When you finish you should have this left over ...

I also had a bolt that came in the kit ? I never figured out what it was for its just a slightly shorter case bolt but I didnt see where it needed to go so I didn't use it . Answers on a postcard for that one ??

All Is well with mine .. Job is as far as I can tell a good one ... after finishing the oil change she fired right up with no CLACK CLACK ))

Return to How to do it!