Winter anti seize brake advice wanted

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
bic_bicknell

Winter anti seize brake advice wanted

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Hello all you anti-seize brake pundits out there.

Just had the '07 SD, (the problem model), under wraps for 7 weeks due to foot in cast. Getting it out this weekend for a spin over to Bristol. Didn't do too much riding in December in the wet but must have picked up some salt and crud over the last few months of 2010. What's the opinion of the dreaded brake seizure happening on my run this weekend?

Also. I've never stripped down the brakes on the SD so what's the procedure to minimise the risk of the seizure before I set off? I honestly don't have time to take everything apart before Saturday morning.

Is there a quick fix/check? Any advice?

I keep on thinking, "Got to get to Bristol fast, keep on a steady 100mph, look for cops and speed cameras, huddle down to keep warm, keep an eye out on the fuel situation, then suddenly.......FRONT BRAKE LOCKED ON!!! FUUUUUUCK! Don't want to be paranoid but........................
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Re: Winter anti seize brake advice wanted

Postby SD05 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:14 am

Hi Bic,

This is what works for me;

If the pistons are not corroded, I would take the pads out, callipers off, pump the brake a little to raise the pistons a good few millimetres, clean the pistons with copious amounts of brake cleaner. Dry with a rag. Then pump the pistons out a little further, pour brake fluid over the pistons and then push each piston back into the calliper. The fun part being that as you push one piston in, you immediately know which is the piston that is most free as the darn thing try to pop out of its seal. So, slowly juggle all pistons back, once all back in pump them out again. And repeat. The slowest piston / stickiest piston needs the most working and perhaps a drop more brake fluid. Once all are as free as they are going to be, push all pistons in and then rag clean every last drop of fluid off. Then a final wipe down with a rag soaked in brake cleaner. From there on in, dependant on use and conditions, keep the callipers and pistons clean with brake cleaner.

lobster
Wheelie king

Postby lobster » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:41 am

^^^^ Yup that's what I do. The only thing I did different was lube the pistons with a squirt of Muc Off teflon bike spray, which also helps to stop fresh crud sticking to the pistons. Just make sure you don't get it anywhere near the pads. So far this approach seems to be working well on mine, which gets ridden in all conditions.
If you can't join em, beat em!

DubsandBikes
Two wheeled terror

Postby DubsandBikes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 pm

I would agree with the advice so far and offer a little more.

I talked to a KTM mechanic at my local shop at the height of the fuss about the brakes last year. He has an 950SM and a SDR and knows his stuff.

He said a contributing factor to the binding problem can be the build up of material around the edges of the pads. Basically road salt/mud/brake dust corrodes on to the outside edges of the pads, changing their shape. If this problem is allowed to develop over time (say 12-18 months), the pads can get to a stage where they no longer fit properly and then you get the binding problem.

He advised me to incorporate the following procedure into a more general brake cleaning like the one SD05 described below.

1) Remove brake pads.
2) Check the edges of the pads for corrosion.
3) On any pads showing build up of corrosion, carefully remove it with a small file.
4) Apply a very thin coating of Coppaslip or similar to the back and sides of the pads
(I use this stuff: http://www.nippynormans.com/ACF-50-CORR ... fo/WWA-CB/)
5) Refit pads, ride with confidence.

For a bike ridden year round, he reckoned running this check twice a year would be good. I checked mine recently. Last service was probably five months ago and I've run it most days through this winter. I found pistons were a bit dirty and there was some corrosion on the pad edges too. Half an hour or so and they were all shiny, I don't worry so much now :)

vertigo66
Two wheeled terror

Postby vertigo66 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:12 pm

DubsandBikes wrote:I would agree with the advice so far and offer a little more.

I talked to a KTM mechanic at my local shop at the height of the fuss about the brakes last year. He has an 950SM and a SDR and knows his stuff.

He said a contributing factor to the binding problem can be the build up of material around the edges of the pads. Basically road salt/mud/brake dust corrodes on to the outside edges of the pads, changing their shape. If this problem is allowed to develop over time (say 12-18 months), the pads can get to a stage where they no longer fit properly and then you get the binding problem.

He advised me to incorporate the following procedure into a more general brake cleaning like the one SD05 described below.

1) Remove brake pads.
2) Check the edges of the pads for corrosion.
3) On any pads showing build up of corrosion, carefully remove it with a small file.
4) Apply a very thin coating of Coppaslip or similar to the back and sides of the pads
(I use this stuff: http://www.nippynormans.com/ACF-50-CORR ... fo/WWA-CB/)
5) Refit pads, ride with confidence.

For a bike ridden year round, he reckoned running this check twice a year would be good. I checked mine recently. Last service was probably five months ago and I've run it most days through this winter. I found pistons were a bit dirty and there was some corrosion on the pad edges too. Half an hour or so and they were all shiny, I don't worry so much now :)

I have been down the road at 50mph cos the brake seize, had it lock up twice before that. the problem is most definitely dirt and dust build up along the pad edge. a good clean will solve it. and the above advice is what i recommend too. strip the pads out and wash inside with a brush and hose. clean the pads and check the edges for dust and crud build up. remove it. I just rub the edge of metal pad on the driveway stone. its not as harsh as a file and gets them clean. i also do this twice a yr now. before winter and after. the rest of the time its a std hose out and brush up. had no problems since i have been doing this. if your bikes been laid up for time its worth the extra time just for peace of mind. if you can get the front wheel clear of the ground and give it a spin by hand you can feel if the pads are binding. clean time :D

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

gee this is the most informative thread ive read on the brake issue. seems like before there were lots of complaints (understandable, who wants their brakes locking!) but not much on why and what to do about it.

Carleto
Minimoto racer

Postby Carleto » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:46 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Hello all you anti-seize brake pundits out there.

Just had the '07 SD, (the problem model), under wraps for 7 weeks due to foot in cast. Getting it out this weekend for a spin over to Bristol. Didn't do too much riding in December in the wet but must have picked up some salt and crud over the last few months of 2010. What's the opinion of the dreaded brake seizure happening on my run this weekend?

I had read this post last week with great alarm due to having a 2007 model myself, I admit i'm am only a fair weather rider and only been caught in a summer rain shower once, and the previous owner mentioned he was also a fair weather rider too.

I have two questions if someone could give me some advice please.

Is the seize problem with all 2007 models? I have the later model, but I did find a letter from KTM advising of winter maintenance (covering them selves)

I have attached some photos of before and after the first clean of my calipers, does the photos of the dirty pads/calipers look ok? or were they a potential of seizing? :( :( :(

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Another small detail on the front brake cleaning, that has not been touched on this site yet I believe. It's the cleaning of the disk buttons. An KTM Adventure bud tells me he cleaned his buttons with brake cleaner by placing a screw driver or a tappered wooden dowel in the middle of the button and then turn / spray repeat. He said he got alot of road grim out of the buttons this way.
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

Return to How to do it!