Change Map or Fit PCIII

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
KTMnewbie
Minimoto racer

Change Map or Fit PCIII

Postby KTMnewbie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 pm

Help please

I have just fitted a pair of Yoshimura RS-3C Carbon Cans onto my 2007 SD

They look and sound awesome.
BUT

The backfire is really bad (the bike has always had standard cans from new so on original map).
Need to do something as just been out and it pops and fires like a mad when dropping the throttle off to slow down etc.

My mate following me said its that bad he thought it was flame thrower as flames are coming out.
worried it will blow the cans apart or damage engine.

Can anyone please advise if I should map ecu or get PCIII

My concern is that TuneECU has no map for yoshi cans, but PCIII can be set via dyno.

Many thank in advance
Cheers
John
Going fast is not everything, But being safe is.

Colonel_Klinck

Re: Change Map or Fit PCIII

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:46 pm

To really stop the popping and banging you need to disable the SAS system. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7272&start=75

Not sure how much difference the Yoshis are compared to Akras F/A wise. Does anyone on here know? Personally I would go TuneECU over PCIII. I took my PCIII off and sold it on ebay once I'd got a TuneECU cable. See if you can get a tuner to look at TuneECU. So many more options with it.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi John,

I have just done the SAS plates route, it was a pig to do but worth every scraped knuckle.

No more popping and banging. It could be that your bike is running rich which will also make it pop and bang worse. Don't get your bike changed to the Akra map because that will just make it richer.

I'm personally sticking with a power commander but loads on here rave about tuneECU, I just don't want to brick my ECU. Power commander just seems "safer".

Oh and i'm very jealous of your pipes :wink:
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

PowerCell
Two wheeled terror

Postby PowerCell » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:29 pm

brokenleggedbiker wrote:I'm personally sticking with a power commander but loads on here rave about tuneECU, I just don't want to brick my ECU. Power commander just seems "safer"...

I believe I'm the only one on here that's ever "bricked" an ECU. It was using TuneBoy, not TuneECU. And it was pretty easy to recover using the factory software and cable to force a stock MAP back into the ECU. I use TuneECU all the time now, and it's perfectly safe.

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 pm

PowerCell wrote:
brokenleggedbiker wrote:I'm personally sticking with a power commander but loads on here rave about tuneECU, I just don't want to brick my ECU. Power commander just seems "safer"...

I believe I'm the only one on here that's ever "bricked" an ECU. It was using TuneBoy, not TuneECU. And it was pretty easy to recover using the factory software and cable to force a stock MAP back into the ECU. I use TuneECU all the time now, and it's perfectly safe.

And you are a lot more capable than me!
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

mrduke
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrduke » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:52 pm

i'm still running standard pipes and map and my thing bangs like a good thing...... would make it bang more if i could, love the sound it makes..... flames ? i'd love 6ft flames out the back lol....

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:13 pm

mrduke wrote:i'm still running standard pipes and map and my thing bangs like a good thing...... would make it bang more if i could, love the sound it makes..... flames ? i'd love 6ft flames out the back lol....

I'm with you on that. I also love it popping on the overrun.

I also love the on/off nature of the throttle at low inputs.... I must be a bit strange :wink:

KTMnewbie
Minimoto racer

Postby KTMnewbie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:36 pm

jambox wrote:
mrduke wrote:i'm still running standard pipes and map and my thing bangs like a good thing...... would make it bang more if i could, love the sound it makes..... flames ? i'd love 6ft flames out the back lol....

I'm with you on that. I also love it popping on the overrun.

I also love the on/off nature of the throttle at low inputs.... I must be a bit strange :wink:

See where you guys are coming from as must admit it does sound good in a way, but today when out giving it some cherries (under the speed limit officer lol) it was backfiring when rolling off the throttle.

Gave the bloke in the white van I overtook a bit of a fright :twisted:

But I am worried it might do some damage to my nice new yoshi's, so need to sort

KTMnewbie
Minimoto racer

Postby KTMnewbie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:40 pm

brokenleggedbiker wrote:Hi John,

I have just done the SAS plates route, it was a pig to do but worth every scraped knuckle.

No more popping and banging. It could be that your bike is running rich which will also make it pop and bang worse. Don't get your bike changed to the Akra map because that will just make it richer.

I'm personally sticking with a power commander but loads on here rave about tuneECU, I just don't want to brick my ECU. Power commander just seems "safer".

Oh and i'm very jealous of your pipes :wink:

Yeah think I am with you on the ECU front it really worries me about bricking it, as everything else I have touched on the bike as turned sour.

I think Power commander is the correct route, as I have an excellent dyno shop local. so custom map will no problem and will be better than messing with maps i think.

The cans are amazing. I have had 3 aprilia RSV's over the years with various cans, but these are the best I have ever heard. The rumble from them is so deep and fairly load :evil:

SuperLuke
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperLuke » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:21 am

I have a stock '05. Will the '07 and newer map work on my ecu? I plan on putting new pipes on and the dealer didn't know if the map would work.
Use the force Luke!

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:59 am

No, an 07 will not work. But there are plenty of maps for 06 models etc
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

SuperLuke
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperLuke » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:33 pm

MrZ32 wrote:No, an 07 will not work. But there are plenty of maps for 06 models etc

I've been off the site for a while. Is there a way for me to get the '05 Akro map here in the states? My KTM dealer says they don't know anything about the non-US models.

Thanks.
Use the force Luke!

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:10 pm

You can download it from here http://www.tomhamburg.net/KTM_Tune_list.html

Or then you can get yourself set up with TuneECU and install it yourself.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

SuperLuke
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperLuke » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Great! Thanks.
Use the force Luke!

kazerotor
Minimoto racer

Postby kazerotor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I just purchased some mivv suono cans (love them to death) and I love the way it back fires when letting off the throttle. Is this bad for the bike? Sometimes it sounds like an m80 with 1foot flames coming out the back ;)
I don't have any power commander, is it really needed for a slip on? The bike is pretty much stock, I would understand if I had a hooligan air box or something else a new map might be needed. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 am

kazerotor wrote:I just purchased some mivv suono cans (love them to death) and I love the way it back fires when letting off the throttle. Is this bad for the bike? Sometimes it sounds like an m80 with 1foot flames coming out the back ;)
I don't have any power commander, is it really needed for a slip on? The bike is pretty much stock, I would understand if I had a hooligan air box or something else a new map might be needed. Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!

Read the tuneecu tread!!!
Thats all you need, plenty of maps that will suit your bike can be uploaded to the ecu with tuneecu.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Return to How to do it!