How do I clean the alloy castings

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
gezza47
Two wheeled terror

How do I clean the alloy castings

Postby gezza47 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:36 pm

Like the fork/caliper mounts, triple clamps and footpeg carrier assemblies etc?

tried wd40 and little toothbrush, sort of effective but hard work and it seems the cleaning fluid the hand car wash folks used is pretty effective but now sort of have streaks/runs on the front brake carrier/casting.

Thx
Kiss the sky

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Re: How do I clean the alloy castings

Postby JohnJJr » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:04 am

Simple Green works great .

spray it on - use a paint brush to scrub it around and hose off .

johnny

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:05 am

hah, thanks. Stone polish?

I used to use in NZ this pasty/gel stuff called quick n brite I think. that would get anything off anything.
Kiss the sky

rocketchick
Stunt rider

Postby rocketchick » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:44 pm

I use Pro Honda Spray on my entire bike, it works wonderfully. It also loosen the dead bugs. Great product i recommend. :D

Petesbandit1200
Minimoto racer

Postby Petesbandit1200 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:06 pm

Muc-Off
Although prepared for martyrdom, I'd prefer it be postponed

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:45 pm

I use muc off, doesnt clean the casting like the stuff the car wash people use
Kiss the sky

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:50 pm

gezza47 wrote:I use muc off, doesnt clean the casting like the stuff the car wash people use

I've tried a few things and have yet to find anything that cleans the cast bits :evil: I'll give that Honda stuff a try. Wish I know what the local pro bike cleaner uses as he gets them looking mint! Puts whatever it is in plain bottles though so you can't tell. No fool that dude.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:51 pm

the car wash folks wouldn t tell me either. It cleans the mankiest allow wheels , though they do use a waterjet to hose off, but my castings still has runs down them from the spray they used
Kiss the sky

indy84
Stunt rider

Postby indy84 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:07 pm

i hear hard work and elbow grease is good :mrgreen:
06 superDuke
90 RM 250
56 Norton dominator
brisbane, OZ

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:18 pm

hush. i did, with a toothbrush. anything more would abrade the kind of sand cast finish no?
Kiss the sky

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:08 am

gezza47 wrote:hush. i did, with a toothbrush. anything more would abrade the kind of sand cast finish no?

I don't know but - for a while i was using Armorall to clean things ( still do ) as i wipe my bike down after every ride , but it doesn't leave a spick and span finish on the castings. I then used Simple Green and it takes that road grease off and leaves what looks to me like a mint finish on the castings . And super easy to use. Anyone else using simple green ???

I survived another day on two wheels at Warp Speeds ! :twisted: Got kinda lost in Big Basin Ca. and low on Gas - finally asked someone how to get out and closest gas - so was kinda rippin it and found a road that was a 45-50 mph sharp uphill turn only to find suddenly the road crested with no way to see which way the gawt damn road turned - admit SPOOKED ME !!! took me about 5 minutes to calm back down and get rid of the twitchy feeling. I LOVE THIS BIKE !!!!

johnny

Bert

Postby Bert » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:03 am

They probably use wheel cleaner. Basically, it's an acid.

When I was a student I worked weekends and vacations at a carwash.
Every couple of weeks I could throw my working trousers away because there were holes in them. These were caused by the mist that got on them while spraying the product on the wheels.
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:29 am

i have found that turps and a toothebrush gets it all off
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

SuperDooper
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDooper » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:45 am

Gunk and a toothbrush....... but clean the toothbrush after use as your wife will be able to taste it :lol:
Super Duke
Better than sex, (well at my house)

bmwdavid
Minimoto racer

Postby bmwdavid » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 am

I use contact cleaner spray. Thev stuff from Honda or Yamaha works well. Either spray on a rag and dab/wipe or spray directly on the effected area and wipe or blow dry with air. Gotta work fast as contact cleaner will dry almost instantly.

Note this is for the alloy castings such as the lower fork/caliper housing, passenger foot peg brackets and main foot peg brackets.

David
'89 Porsche 3.2
'06 VW GTI
'05 Honda XR650L
'08 KTM Superduke 990

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Karcher sells a product that they reccomend with their waterblasters. It works really well and it smells a bit sour so Bert is probably right about that it contains acid.
When I worked for them we sold heaps to car detailers, that is probably similar to what they use.
I'll have a look at their website to jog my brain on the name of the product..
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Stobie
Minimoto racer

Postby Stobie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:25 am

The axle clamps/caliper mounts and the triple clamps are forgings that are clear anodised; don't know about the footpeg mounts.

I would recommend against using anything acidic or alkaline on them. It will damage the anodizing if you leave it on just a little too long, and make them look like crap. Use a wheel cleaner that says on the bottle that it's made for aluminium wheels. Eagle 1 aluminium wheel cleaner does a good job.

I've had good luck using diluted (10:1 or weaker) Dawn dishwashing liquid on anything oily. Does a nice job of cleaning the chain.
Stobie

2007 KTM 950SE

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:57 am

I use TFR (traffic film remover) http://www.eurochem.co.uk/products.php?categories_id=11 I use this to clean the brakes/forks/wheels/engine on my bikes (do not use on paintwork) use it with a toothbrush and you will see ehat it does. JUST MAKES SURE ITS NON CAUSTIC!

TRF is MucOff but better, less expensive AND NOT PINK.

If you go to your local lorry supply shop they sell 5 gallons of it for under 20 quid.

I wet the bike with a hose pipe, spray on TFR from a MucOff bottle, then jet wash it off. If you have a fancy jet wash you can spray it straight on with the water. Just make sure you get it all off.

Works wonders on your MX bike if you have one too.

THEDUKE
Two wheeled terror

Postby THEDUKE » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:56 pm

SuperDooper wrote:Gunk and a toothbrush....... but clean the toothbrush after use as your wife will be able to taste it :lol:

GUNK! Works every time!
All things being equal...Fat people use more soap!

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:49 pm

gezza47 wrote:the car wash folks wouldn t tell me either. It cleans the mankiest allow wheels , though they do use a waterjet to hose off, but my castings still has runs down them from the spray they used

I used to have a vehicle valenting company in my early 20s, It will be an equivalent product to AutoSmarts Truck Wash and i wouldnt put that fookin stuff anywhere near my fookin bike :shock: (and i no its the same stuff as when the smell drifts into the car through the air vents it smells exactly the same! It will take the heaviest dirt and remove it, it will also slowly remove just about any finish youd care to mention! Highly corrosive as its just a light acid, AutoSmart would warn us not to get it on skin etc and on the odd occassion 1 of us did it would sting like fook!
The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:20 pm

that sounds like it. for spot spraying its the daddy. I use mucoff too and that was the poor cousin
Kiss the sky

JohnJJr
Wheelie king

Postby JohnJJr » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:48 pm

Hey has anyone tried TSP .
some years ago i used it to clean the interior of an old ford falcon i had bought - stuff worked so good it even took the AGED look off the plastic handles and window openers.

cheers

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:49 am

..... SDOC s100 motorcycle gel cleaner...... Once you try It you will never use anything else, great cleaning but leaves the engine casing looking good unlike others that make everything look dry and tired. It doesn't attack your hands, sticks to the bike as its a gel so doesn't run off and will even leave your chain sparkly if you use a brush.

Available from most bike shops (including hein gericke!..... Shameless I know!!)

http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/s100-powe ... eaner.html
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

gezza47
Two wheeled terror

Postby gezza47 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Ill give that a go
Kiss the sky

Peachy00
Two wheeled terror

Postby Peachy00 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:59 pm

I'll 2nd the vote for SDOC, use it myself.

Next

Return to How to do it!