ceramic coating at home

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
edeher
Two wheeled terror

ceramic coating at home

Postby edeher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:28 pm

i tried using a grinder and steel brush to clean and polish my headers but they showed signs or rust before i could even finish so i have to take a different approach. i was thinking exhaust wrap or ceramic coating. ive heard exhaust wrap can hold in water and cause rust so ive ruled that out as well. i have found this ceramic coating spray that just sprays on and once dried you re install on the bike and then use the engine to heat and cure the coating. here is a link let me know if anyone has tried or used this before.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorgard-Ceramic ... B001E6FLBW

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Re: ceramic coating at home

Postby SDNerd » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:10 pm

All that time and work ... why not just take it to a place that specializes in doing ceramic coatings if that's what you want? Seriously, is it about the money? Because you will never get as good a finish quality as places that are in the business of applying these coatings.

edeher
Two wheeled terror

Postby edeher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:23 pm

well i live in st.maarten, an island in the caribbean. no one here does it as a profession. i was thinking about boxing it up and sending it out but i see that being a month at least before its ready to bolt back up. thats why im looking at a diy job, and no i couldnt think money was the issue.

edeher
Two wheeled terror

Postby edeher » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:37 pm

does anyone know exactly how hot our headers get? it says good until 1300 F.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:47 pm

I had my old headers ceramic coated black. They did a great job and they looked fab but that brown shite soon builds up an any area exposed to shit off the roads. I couldn't find anyway to take shit off without some ceramic coming with it.

Is there anyone on the island who can shot blast them first? You want as clean a surface as possible.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 pm

edeher wrote:does anyone know exactly how hot our headers get? it says good until 1300 F.

Pretty damned hot :lol: Has to be somewhere between 400-500c when being spanked.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

edeher
Two wheeled terror

Postby edeher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
edeher wrote:does anyone know exactly how hot our headers get? it says good until 1300 F.

Pretty damned hot :lol: Has to be somewhere between 400-500c when being spanked.

cool thanks for the info bro. ill find someone to blast em and give it a try. but hearing you say that they will still get that stain makes me just want to wrap them and call it a day.

kowekiller
Two wheeled terror

Postby kowekiller » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:04 am

You know ...I keep hearing everyone wanting to ceramic coat and wrap their head tubes. Not a good idea. For one wrap will cause moisture to get caught between the tube and wrap. Two.. coating and wraping can lead to pipes getting so hot that welds can start to crack. Also the packing in your muffler may need more changing due to the heat being trapped all the way to the muffler. Those pipes are air cooled for a reason and do any good on a bike like this. The only time its good to wrap or coat is if the head tubes are enclosed in the engine bay without room to cool. Heat will then soak into the motor and cause bad running conditions.
If it has tits or wheels I'll ride it!
2008 SDR
SoCal

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:05 am

Titanium headers are the way forward, for some reason they stay amazingly clean and no crap seems to build up :P
The late Bill Hicks

edeher
Two wheeled terror

Postby edeher » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Titanium headers are the way forward, for some reason they stay amazingly clean and no crap seems to build up :P

agreed, if i find a pair second hand ill jump on em, but no way ill pay so much for a new pair, not worth it. and i dont know if these headers are stainless.... there are a lot of metal all over this boat yard made of stainless and stays out in the rain and gets blown by salt night and day with no treatment and stays shinny as ever, maybe they put something else in the header mix when they made them? but yea ill install these boys wrapped up to the U joint and look for a pair of TI headers. ill watch out to see if they get a bunch hotter, i know i used to be able to hold on to my akros when warmed up and they were fine to the touch.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:33 pm

I think its crap getting on them when they are piping hot that causes the problem. Heat, water and salt are never a great combo.
The late Bill Hicks

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:31 pm

The pipes are stainless steel and should not rust. Having said that I bought a dive knife that had stainless stamped on it. Went for a salt water dive and , you guessed it, stains on the stainless. Hard to say if your SST pipes will rust e-nuf to hole out and leak exhaust. I would not think so, but I live inland 50 miles. That's is the trade off for living next to the sea. Rust never sleeps. I built a house on the coast. Bought a new blade for the power saw, and it had rust forming on the blade at the end of the day.
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

BASH69
Race ace

Postby BASH69 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:40 pm

edeher wrote:i tried using a grinder and steel brush to clean and polish my headers but they showed signs or rust before i could even finish so i have to take a different approach. i was thinking exhaust wrap or ceramic coating. ive heard exhaust wrap can hold in water and cause rust so ive ruled that out as well. i have found this ceramic coating spray that just sprays on and once dried you re install on the bike and then use the engine to heat and cure the coating. here is a link let me know if anyone has tried or used this before.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorgard-Ceramic ... B001E6FLBW

Personally i wouldnt bother, ive had mine professionally coated and the finish still doesnt really stand up to any abuse, ive only done 4 trackdays and literally a handful of road miles since the coating and they already look tatty.

Ti is the future (and looks the bolox too 8) )
The official owner of the big pink SDP (thats STUPID DUKE Poofs edition to you).

kenscottphoto
Two wheeled terror

Postby kenscottphoto » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:00 pm

edeher wrote:well i live in st.maarten....

Totally off topic. I've been there, amazing place. 35+ beaches, french food, a bit of heaven!
Thanks,

Ken

2007 KTM Superduke Black-Current
2002 Kawasaki Concours Silver--Sold
1999 Kawasaki KLR650 Blue/Green--Sold

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:23 pm

kowekiller wrote:You know ...I keep hearing everyone wanting to ceramic coat and wrap their head tubes. Not a good idea. For one wrap will cause moisture to get caught between the tube and wrap. Two.. coating and wraping can lead to pipes getting so hot that welds can start to crack. Also the packing in your muffler may need more changing due to the heat being trapped all the way to the muffler. Those pipes are air cooled for a reason and do any good on a bike like this. The only time its good to wrap or coat is if the head tubes are enclosed in the engine bay without room to cool. Heat will then soak into the motor and cause bad running conditions.

Wrap is great at saving skin, boots etc. from sticking to hot exposed pipes.
Had a stainless pipe break on the LC4 but was it the heat-wrap or the vibes...
The pipe on the LC4 had some funky patterns after a few seasons with wrap but no real rust so to speak. Packing might be an issue but I tend to repack every two years or so anyway. Have Done the SD and will see...
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

edeher
Two wheeled terror

Postby edeher » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:00 pm

im sure the color matters as well. if you ceramic coat the pipe chrome or shinny colored then it will look faded after a while. but i see a nice flat black that i think would last a long time. thing is i just put my bike back together and its too much work to take them back off again so ill powder coat my subframe orange instead.

Return to How to do it!