How to disassemble the clutch master cylinder

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Mick75
Minimoto racer

How to disassemble the clutch master cylinder

Postby Mick75 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:50 am

This is actually a question, not a statement

My CMC (clutch master cylinder) has shat itself recently so I have ordered an internals replacement kit. I have also ordered an Oberon slave cylinder just for a bit of bling since I have the clutch system in pieces.
My question is, How do I remove the internals from the CMC. I have removed the lever, pushrod and grommet and I am presented with a white disc with the push valve in the center. I have not attempted anything more.
I thought I would ask the advice of our wise forum members on how to gut this sucker. Any advice would be appreciated. I have not attempted this before so would rather not just start digging around with pliers etc without a bit of knowledge. I have been unable to find a diagram of its assembly.

Superduke.net you have the floor......(makes a grandiose ushering type gesture)
I want to be unique, just like everyone else.

'09 White SD
'05 Kwaka KLR 250

Bert

Re: How to disassemble the clutch master cylinder

Postby Bert » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I guess it will be similar to this:
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Just had mine apart, the white disc fits inside the lip of the rubber boot to hold it in place, my piston just pulled out, no circlip :wink:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

Mick75
Minimoto racer

Postby Mick75 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Just as TLS Russ has said, turned out to be a very simple job. Swapped it out then followed the forum's instructions on a clutch bleed. A generic syringe and tube was $12. An 'official' KTM syringe was $94. The OEM parts for the CMC, amounted to a small plastic valve, two o-rings the size of a wedding ring and two springs that look like came from a clicky pen, also expensive at $96. Had to be replaced but at $96 sheesh. I have seen them on the interwebs for around $40 for a Magura replacement. Price you pay for an exclusive ride I guess

A Big thank you to the responders. Now we are all just that little bit wiser (and poorer)
I want to be unique, just like everyone else.

'09 White SD
'05 Kwaka KLR 250

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm

Mick75 wrote:Just as TLS Russ has said, turned out to be a very simple job. Swapped it out then followed the forum's instructions on a clutch bleed. A generic syringe and tube was $12. An 'official' KTM syringe was $94. The OEM parts for the CMC, amounted to a small plastic valve, two o-rings the size of a wedding ring and two springs that look like came from a clicky pen, also expensive at $96. Had to be replaced but at $96 sheesh. I have seen them on the interwebs for around $40 for a Magura replacement. Price you pay for an exclusive ride I guess

A Big thank you to the responders. Now we are all just that little bit wiser (and poorer)

I did mine in 30 minutes, took it apart cleaned all the bits, spun the o`rings in my fingers, gave the little springs a slight stretch and checked it all back together, feels better, a bit smoother and lighter at the lever and it cost nothing except for a drop of fluid :wink:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

Return to How to do it!