Fitting ball mount and Garmin 660... picture heavy

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Reaper
Two wheeled terror

Fitting ball mount and Garmin 660... picture heavy

Postby Reaper » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:16 pm

Firstly thank you KTM for making this such an easy task...

Okay, review first then fitting to follow...

The ball mount is excellent, i wanted something discrete that i could leave in place if i take the sat nav mount off. Ive never liked the one you get with the sat nav either, i think it looks ugly and it leaves a mark on the bars when you remove it. The only thing i could say thats kind of negative about the mount is it would be abit easier if you could use different size bolts (diameter not length) to be able to mount it anywhere you liked. Fitted to the clutch or brake perch it looks like its part of the bike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-M8-Bolt-Handlebar-Clamp-Mount-1-Ball-Fit-/120768629718?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c1e5f0bd6url

The Garmin Zumo 660LM... well you can read the spec on it for yourself :P You get more in the box than you'd think, including a carry case and mains charger so dont get tricked into buying them seperately. I got mine cheap from halfords and they tried to talk me into buying a mains charger half price, the only reason i didnt is because if im using the sat nav it will be on the bike or in the car, i dont need it to guid me to the kitchen from the sofa.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_900317_langId_-1_categoryId_165564

Gripes about the setup... The power cable for the bike is permanently attached to the motorcycle mount which means if you want to take the mount off the bike when your not using the sat nav you have to disconnect the wires from the bike rather than just tuck them away safely. Now this actualy isnt a hard task as you will see in later with the fitting but it does mean you either have to find another way of keeping the wires tidy or go through lots of cable ties.

Garmin have been good enough to give you a cover to protect the mount from the elements when the sat nav is not fitted and the traffic receiver cable has a rubber cap but fr some reason they didnt see fit to give you a cap for the mic or headphone cables.

Also with the power cable, you cant shorten it because of the traffic receiver, mic and headphone cables all running of it.

As for operating the sat nav, ive not got that far yet but it will be getting a good run through its paces over the weekend. And later i will be having a play with putting my own routes into it.

It even comes with a 4gb memory card which i wasnt expecting.

The motorcycle mount is quite small so im going to see how long i can live with leaving it on there when the sat nav is not in use.

Okay, here is the fitting...

Ball mount...
The mirror adapter being left hand thread proved to be a pain as i couldnt find anywhere that sold left hand thread bolts.
In the end i got an M8 helicoil which went straight into the M10 thread on the brake perch. The coil is easily taken out, atleast aslong as you dont brake the tang, so you can remove it to fit the mirrors back on if you want. As you can see i moved it to the clutch side, this was because of the wires coming out the right hand side of the sat nav mount.

Oh and if you have never used helicoils before, they are for fixing nackered threads, realy good bit of kit.

Wiring and fitting Zumo 660 mount...

KTM have made this bit realy easy by leaving some aux wires behind the headlight mask.
Just take the 2 bolts out at the top and lower the headlight mask. You should see the wires...

The wires are marked up ACC1 and ACC2. ACC1 is switch live and ACC2 is permanent. The one you want for the sat nav wires is ACC1

The connectors are both female spades so you need to fit male spades to the sat nav power cable.

The red wire(live) then connects to the yellow+orange ACC1 wire and the black wire(earth) connects to the brown ACC1 wire.

Now its a case of tidying up the wires and if you want to use any of the aux cables for the sat nav(traffic receiver, mic socket, headphone socket) deciding on where to situate them. I cable tied the headphone socket to the light swight wire just incase i need to use it(forgot to take a pic but if you look carefully on the last few pics you'll see it), as for the other aux cables i just looped them up and cable tied it all.

And then tucked it all neatly down the side of the headlight

Oh and if your not going to be using the other cables id put some tape or something over the ends to keep the crap out.

Heres a pic of the mount all fitted... Will put one up with the sat nav on it tomorrow if i remember

rocketchick
Stunt rider

Re: Fitting ball mount and Garmin 660... picture heavy

Postby rocketchick » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:23 am

WoW Reaper great Idea you had, and a wonderful job... Hat's off to you.

Your a very nice guy for taking your time to post this info :P

Thank you very much and enjoy your trip where ever you may roam.

Return to How to do it!