Changing base gaskets and timing chains. Walkthrough

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
DougFir
Trackday hero

Re: Changing base gaskets and timing chains. Walkthrough

Postby DougFir » Fri May 10, 2013 5:16 pm

JohnJJr wrote:Damn !!! Looks like KTM made it easy to replace timing chains ...... :shock:

best of luck for a successful outcome -------- why base gaskets leaking anyhow's ??? any idea ?

"Cylinder studs stretch after a while and allow oil to escape past the base gaskets."

Early 950 LC8's were lacking cylinder stud washers and did not get correct tork settings at install which also which beavered out the base mating surfaces . They fixed that, added washer to newer builds I am told, but it's still a weak design of the LC8. Know issue for the KTM 950 Adventure bikes. Happened to a bud bike. But he rides hard. Grew up flat trackin'.
If left unattended the loose head vibrates and removes material from the mating surfaces. Col K was lucky. Check out ADVrider.com. Look for the Orange Crush section.

I have a suggestion for engine rebuilds like this. If you look in the service manual you will see an engine stand which is easy to fab if you have the means. It supports the engine and the frame can be removed with ease. I replaced my bent frame with an engine stand I made. I was able to keep the FI bodies and all the wiring in place and pivoted the frame off myself. The motor then can be moved and be built on your work bench.
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri May 10, 2013 5:29 pm

For those with slight weeps maybe torquing the heads down a bit more might stop it in its tracks. It's not a major job to remove the cams to get at the 2 internal head nuts. I over torqued mine to 44nm. Got to be worth a shot. If it doesn't work then replace the base gaskets.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

dougle
Two wheeled terror

Postby dougle » Tue May 21, 2013 10:56 pm

I didn't need to turn the engine away from TDC to get the spreader drive off of the balance shaft (tipex step in klincks instructions), undoing the circlip and taking the two parts off individually lets you tilt them forward.

If you have the top cam chain sprocket out you can loosen the chain away from the bottom sprocket, then spin the balance weight around to pull that off with just your fingers.
'05 SuperDuke <- my first twin *grin*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougle

Jody
Wheelie king

Postby Jody » Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 pm

I need to do base gaskets on mine 06 model, It's only got 7000 miles on it but that does include about 20 trackdays. Only the rear leaking but figure I may as well do both while I'm dicking around.

Can someone in the know please give me a list of what parts I will need, part numbers would be nice too but I'm just being lazy really !
Superduke.net King of Cadwell 2010 + 2011 !! (deposed)

I'm not the king any more but as you can see, I've still got it !

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri May 31, 2013 8:37 pm

If the front isn't leaking I wouldn't touch it. Maybe over torque the heads down a bit but other than that leave it alone.

You'll need
1x base gasket
1x head gasket
1x gudgeon pin retaining clip. Lol you'll have fun fitting that biatch. Fill the engine with rags as you don't want to drop it in the there!!
Personally I'd change the cam chain tensioner. You could just measure to see if its still in spec though.
1x set of cam cover gaskets
Personally I just heat my crush washers and reuse them but if you want new only the cam chain tensioner uses one, plus the usual oil change ones.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Jody
Wheelie king

Postby Jody » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:00 am

Thanks Clinck

Do I not need head bolts, car ones are mostly single use??
Superduke.net King of Cadwell 2010 + 2011 !! (deposed)

I'm not the king any more but as you can see, I've still got it !

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:02 am

Yeah I'd change them. They upgraded them on later bikes and they are pretty cheap too.
The late Bill Hicks

dread
Two wheeled terror

Postby dread » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:15 pm

I believe there is an upgrade to the studs too...in response to the earlier studs stretching.... :idea: Got to be on the parts list to try and avoid doing it twice.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue May 27, 2014 4:44 pm

Klinck, is 60036003000 the part number for the cam chain tensioner on the rear cylinder head?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue May 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Aphex wrote:Klinck, is 60036003000 the part number for the cam chain tensioner on the rear cylinder head?

It appears to be yeah. http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i=118062
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue May 27, 2014 5:24 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
Aphex wrote:Klinck, is 60036003000 the part number for the cam chain tensioner on the rear cylinder head?

It appears to be yeah. http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i=118062

Thanks for that, when I pull the tensioner to inspect it is there anything I should do before I put it (or the replacement one) back in?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue May 27, 2014 5:38 pm

If it falls to bits it's no good. You can also measure it. The process is explained in the workshop manual. Other than that no just screw it back in and torque it up to required amount.
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:If it falls to bits it's no good. You can also measure it. The process is explained in the workshop manual. Other than that no just screw it back in and torque it up to required amount.

Sounds easy enough.

Me so Hoony.

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:50 pm

New or refreshed copper washer required.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Previous

Return to How to do it!