Damper rod issue in 990 fork maintenance

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
coyo
Two wheeled terror

Damper rod issue in 990 fork maintenance

Postby coyo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:30 am

So I got into my forks in order to change out the oil and fork seals.

I got to the point of draining the oil and as I did so, the damping rod fell out of my right fork cartridge. I didn't think there was an issue as I'd purposely removed the rods with my MX forks when I did it.

The issue came when I went to remove the rod from the left fork (thinking it should also come out); it came out with a fitting attached to the bottom which when I cleaned the crud off of it, then fell out of the damping rod.

So now I've got one rod with nothing on the bottom of it and the other with some form of a fitting on the bottom which won't stay in place if I try to replace it into the cartridge.

The pic shows what came out of the left cartridge vs the right.

Thoughts?

Edorta
Two wheeled terror

Re: Damper rod issue in 990 fork maintenance

Postby Edorta » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 am

Hi coyo!

When you change the fork oil always stays a little bit of the fluid inside the hydraulic chambers. Eventually this old oil ends up transforming a some kind of sticky mud who obstructs and blocks all the duct.

Normally the bottom goes along with the rod but problably is stuck inside.

At this point your suspension is not working well because the ducts are blocked and the effect is something similar to have the compresion and extension completely closed.

Last summer the same happended to me and i sent my forks to a friend who is suspension mecanic to disassemble, clean and change the repair kit (ref R14009). Lot of work hours and big bill :?

He sent me photos of the progress and you can see how nasty looks the inside :?

Sorry for the bad news mate :?
Ride it like you stole it!!!

coyo
Two wheeled terror

Re: Damper rod issue in 990 fork maintenance

Postby coyo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Thanks Edorta.

I'm thinking of having a go if this myself. The problem is that the WP fork manual I have doesn't go into any detail on servicing the cartridge itself. Does anyone have a lead on a manual that will show me how to tear them down and rebuild?

Return to How to do it!