Anyone have advice on touring windscreen for 1290 R?

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
ktm57
Minimoto racer

Anyone have advice on touring windscreen for 1290 R?

Postby ktm57 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:46 pm

I would love to take my 2015 Super Duke 1290 R on a 1600 mile ride including a route through the mountains of Colorado. Has anyone done anything like this with or without a windscreen/windshield? I would think adding a windshield would allow me to ride much longer each day. Don't want to buy another bike at this point as I love the Super Duke too much.

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Re: Anyone have advice on touring windscreen for 1290 R?

Postby mrossk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:11 am

I've put over 100,000 miles on my last two naked bikes- touring, sport riding, commuting, without a windshield. Obviously it's personal preference, but I almost never felt like I needed one (unless it's really cold or raining, and then I wished I could duck behind it.) I like the wind, and often the wind on a naked bike is cleaner than that what comes off a screen. More air but less turbulent is better than less air but more turbulent, to me at least. Helps keep the speeds a little less illegal too. Just ride the thing!

arg
Minimoto racer

Postby arg » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:08 am

Just done 2500 miles to Italy. Had a Puig screen on, which moved the airflow from the chest to the helmet, recommended.

Plus the bike still did a real 157mph on the autobahn in Germany according to the satnav.

Stu990
Minimoto racer

Postby Stu990 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:55 am

Would the GT screen fit the Super duke?

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:45 pm

mrossk wrote:I've put over 100,000 miles on my last two naked bikes- touring, sport riding, commuting, without a windshield. Obviously it's personal preference, but I almost never felt like I needed one (unless it's really cold or raining, and then I wished I could duck behind it.) I like the wind, and often the wind on a naked bike is cleaner than that what comes off a screen. More air but less turbulent is better than less air but more turbulent, to me at least. Helps keep the speeds a little less illegal too. Just ride the thing!

I agree, find nakeds give a nice clean airflow and you dont get a lot of buffeting generated by the screen. Only issue is trying to hang on at high speeds. Unless you are using the autobahn in Germany think it would be right at legalish speeds without one. Plus the Piug is butt ugly.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:51 am

http://www.rlyoyo.co.jp/parts/ktm-1290- ... uke-r.html

Adapted from other KTM's, almost looks factory

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:06 pm

Take a look at the MRA screen:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-doub ... per-duke-r
Nice reduction in windblast, looks better in real life than pix, especially in "smoke grey".
2014 1290 73K miles

paul65

Postby paul65 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:10 pm

REDTALE2000 wrote:Take a look at the MRA screen:
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-doub ... per-duke-r
Nice reduction in windblast, looks better in real life than pix, especially in "smoke grey".

looks ok but that smoke grey would keep the dash in night mode ??

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 pm

I saw a 2nd hand (pre-owned for those not in the UK) 1290 in Riders of Bridgwater today, fitted with a dark tint Puig screen - looks like it would work pretty well at deflecting wind blast, but style-wise it would be a pretty subjective item. The looks might grow on you I guess, but it would be a pain if they didn't. Then again, the 1290's styling is relatively extreme and bold (divisive maybe?), so the ant mandible looks of the Puig screen kind of fit in with it. The bike was an orange and white 2015 model.

Discuss...
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

ktm57
Minimoto racer

Postby ktm57 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am

Thanks for your replies. I agree that there is nothing like the feel of riding a naked, especially the SDR. I love this bike. I unfortunately have neck discomfort after long rides with my head getting tired from the constant turbulence. It is fine under 70 mph but above, quite uncomfortable after a hour or more. In Nebraska and South Dakota, the speed limits are 75 and 80 mph. I wish I could justify two road bikes in my garage, but I can't at this point. Otherwise I would pick up a sport/touring bike for longer rides.

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:11 pm

Do you really mean turbulence? With no windscreen, I had plenty of windblast but no turbulence.
After fitting the MRA screen, there's a tiny bit of turbulence just above the screen but I have to lean down to feel it around the helmet. And the windblast is significantly reduced from the neck down.
The thing that made a really big difference for me was switching from an Arai to a Schuberth C3 Pro. For some reason, that helmet flies through the air with almost no wind resistance. I can run 100 mph for extended periods. 80 is effortless. The difference to the Arai is dramatic. They are a bit pricey but well worth it if you have a flimsy neck like me.
2014 1290 73K miles

Simonp
Minimoto racer

Postby Simonp » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:57 am

Same deal, put my Shoei GT Air next to other Shoei's and realised it's the biggest sail on top of your shoulders. Now I have a way more compact shell shape with smaller frontal area in an NXR which is also one size smaller, never thought about a screen since. Don't do lots of high speed work but I did used to get a stiff neck after a long day, no longer

Return to How to do it!