Un seizing tank bolt in captured nut

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
bic_bicknell

Un seizing tank bolt in captured nut

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:21 pm

So I had a big problem with a seized bolt in the captured nut

This is a massive KTM design flaw. The bolts that hold on the tank spoilers screw into captured nuts moulded into the surface of the tank. After a few years when you try to undo the spoiler the captured nut starts to turn. It's one of those lurching stomach moments because once they spin there is absolutely no way to get out the bolt except to drill. It's a tank write off and KTM have stopped honouring the warranty claims now. I've tried for a week now soaking in penetrating oil, AC50, WD40 the works. I've tried injecting liquid superglue to see if I can trap the nut again. I've tried swearing quite a lot too but it makes no difference. The fooker is stuck and the nut is spinning.

But this afternoon time my 6 year old son made magic happen! He got a good way with a 3mm drill bit - enough to get the bolt really hot and on a whim I stopped him and had a go with an allen key - one last try before going up a 2mm and "off with the head". And LO - the heat had done what no amount of AC50 or penetrating oil had managed. The fooker just unscrewed. :) Hurray!

Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

orangeracer
Minimoto racer

Re: Un seizing tank bolt in captured nut

Postby orangeracer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:12 pm

Minibic to the rescue! :lol:

Just curious, do you ever put antiseize on the bolts?

SuperDoopa
Two wheeled terror

Postby SuperDoopa » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm

On my old 990, the bottom captive bolt just started to turn with the nut buried in the bottom of the tank. In the end I just levered the combo down, bending the spoiler away and did the reverse when reattaching the spoiler. Who ever owns the bike now is probably doing the same as I was ( if he's lazy) :lol:

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:52 pm

Both my bottom captive nuts started turning years ago. I just don't bother using those fixing points.

One day I will cut up his tank and make 6 small pieces of black plastic with six spinning captive nuts and make a sort of sculpture/presentation piece and send it to some high ranking KTM marketing guy with a note that this is to sit on his desk and remind him that "Ready to race" slogan is only as good as the real experience and that maybe they should change their slogan to "Really not up to it" and he should go fook himself.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

jmann

Postby jmann » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:52 am

bic_bicknell wrote:One day I will cut up his tank and make 6 small pieces of black plastic with six spinning captive nuts and make a sort of sculpture/presentation piece and send it to some high ranking KTM marketing guy with a note that this is to sit on his desk and remind him that "Ready to race" slogan is only as good as the real experience and that maybe they should change their slogan to "Really not up to it" and he should go fook himself.

Comrade Bic: I bet this company is yet another that has been hijacked by accountants or smart arses in suits. The old "Ready to Race" guys are probably shaking their heads as well.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Note to self: Use anti-seize paste prior to reinstalling the radiator side covers.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

orangeracer
Minimoto racer

Postby orangeracer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:22 pm

Yeah I use antiseize pretty obsessively, years of turning wrenches on dirt bikes!

Millar
Wheelie king

Postby Millar » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:54 am

I had one seize on my adv. I put an allen key fixing in the drill, and span it whilst pulling on the panel, and melted it out of the tank. Cleaned it up, and glued the nut back in. It's been fine ever since, it's not a tank write off.

Return to How to do it!