attaching pics from imgur

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
Sarasota_Steve

attaching pics from imgur

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:38 pm

OK,

Tired of Photobucket's fee based membership, I opened an account with http://www.imgur.com.

The process of attaching pictures is actually easier than Photobucket. I'll try to explain.

Create account. Create Album. Upload pictures to album. All those steps are pretty straight forward.

Once you are looking at the picture you want, you would let your mouse hover over the down arrow on the top right corner, and click on get share links. There, you will choose COPY on the BBCode (Forums)

Once done, you come back to writing the post on SuperDuke.net and you'll paste. There is no need to use the img button [ img ] [ /img ] as it's already inserted from imgur.

Now the royal pain in the ass is going to be moving all the pictures from Photobucket into imgur and link all old threads/posts to the new location. That's going to take a while.

If I could figure it out, so should you. :) Good luck.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: attaching pics from imgur

Postby Aphex » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:40 pm

Nice guide Steve!

One thing I will add is that you do not need an account to generate links for your images. However if you want to be able to go back later and find these images than you would need to create an account First so they are linked to said account.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 am

Yeah I switched ages ago when I joined this forum. Photobucket was so slow to work with...too many ads etc.
I was with Photobucket for several years beforehand.
2010 (white-framed) SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai LiFePO4 battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 / Pilot Power 3.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:41 am

I've joined Flickr now and cancelled my subscription to Photobucket. I wrote and told them why but received no response other than to confirm my account would not be renewed when the current plan expires. They have, in my opinion, committed corporate suicide with their policy to make third party hosting only available on their premium plans but I can only assume they just don't care about all the people who were using the site to share pictures on forums. I guess they only want the professionals and businesses who use it for commercial purposes and have no alternative but to pay their fees.

It does upset me that ten years worth of images on here will disappear. But what can I do? I'm not going to go and retrospectively relink every image I've ever posted. I know a few guys have found a way to somehow re-see the Photobucket images by pasting in another code but again, I haven't got time to do that.

The other bike forum that I regularly contribute to (Kawasakitriplesclub.net) has an inbuilt facility to upload pictures to your post. It makes things soon much easier. Wish this site did the same.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:16 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:I've joined Flickr now and cancelled my subscription to Photobucket. I wrote and told them why but received no response other than to confirm my account would not be renewed when the current plan expires. They have, in my opinion, committed corporate suicide with their policy to make third party hosting only available on their premium plans but I can only assume they just don't care about all the people who were using the site to share pictures on forums. I guess they only want the professionals and businesses who use it for commercial purposes and have no alternative but to pay their fees.

It does upset me that ten years worth of images on here will disappear. But what can I do? I'm not going to go and retrospectively relink every image I've ever posted. I know a few guys have found a way to somehow re-see the Photobucket images by pasting in another code but again, I haven't got time to do that.

The other bike forum that I regularly contribute to (Kawasakitriplesclub.net) has an inbuilt facility to upload pictures to your post. It makes things soon much easier. Wish this site did the same.

I agree Bic, it's a fooking shame that so much information is going to lose it's context without the detailed images to go along with so many of the problems and solutions we have covered on this forum.

I too wish we could host images natively, but without control of the hosting we have no way to make that a reality.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

jmann

Postby jmann » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Aphex wrote:I too wish we could host images natively, but without control of the hosting we have no way to make that a reality.

Comrades: Years ago we did but they disappeared during one of the rebuilds. I wasn't a mod then but I think Bert might have been involved. I have a feeling that the greek fellow that Angelo worked for thought that the images were taking up too much of the space he was paying for. So without becoming completely autonomous its always going to be a problem.

Return to How to do it!