SAS Valve removal (for off road purposes only!)

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

SAS Valve removal (for off road purposes only!)

Postby jehadjoe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:42 pm

The stuff...

In the beginning...

Using the wire end and cutting wires, could not locate those tiny wire ends...

Soldered the resistor to the plug wires.

Sealed up real nice and water tight...

Part installed on the pumpkin...

Tucked away for safe keeping....

Newest Moto Box, (thanks Aaron! :) ) ...

The bike running, see my defect speck in the RH upper corner :? NO FI Light... nota. Thare she BLows.... need any help from here do not hesitate.

arashi
Two wheeled terror

Postby arashi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:25 pm

That is pretty dope Joe! Could you take some pics of the bike (side view) all put back together? I want to see how much of that filter is exposed with the tank down. Do you think rain will be an issue?

BTW: I did my first oil change and it went smoothly thanks to you!
02' GSXR 600 (Track Bike)
07' Super Duke 990 (God, I love this bike!)
Just call me Steve.

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Steve, here it is without the shrouds.... the same actually... I can take more in a bit if you want with her shrouds on...

the other side, Rain is going to be no prob, I have plans if it becomes necessary to address.

And me new leavers.. heheh... joe loveth the pumpkin... bar end mirrors next. Powder coating and anodizing is in front of me now..:D

arashi
Two wheeled terror

Postby arashi » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:41 pm

That looks really clean Joe and the levers are dope! I'm really going to have to consider that airbox! As was going to buy that LSL damper but damn, that airbox looks like better money spent. I wonder if the SD will run ok with the stock Akra map and full exhaust...

Thanks for the pics Joe, I envy your Pumpkin! She is getting the attention she deserves, my baby has been neglected but you have motivated me to give her more of my attention!
02' GSXR 600 (Track Bike)
07' Super Duke 990 (God, I love this bike!)
Just call me Steve.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:27 am

Joe,

What levers are they?

John

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:37 am

John, Please allow me.. A very long thread.

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Spyder
Minimoto racer

Any problems with this yet?

Postby Spyder » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:56 pm

I have had my SAS bypassed for quite some time now, but I haven't dared to remove the actual valve for fear of frying the electrical. Have you had any problems from this mod? It seems that the voltage coming across to open the SAS valve would generate heat across the resistor, and therefore eventually burn up?
The Wretched

cjc
Trackday hero

Postby cjc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:00 pm

FWIW - I've had mine off for about a year/12,000 miles and no problems with a 1,000 ohm resistor.

jawk
Two wheeled terror

Postby jawk » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:31 pm

What does the SAS valve bypassing do? Does it run better?
I dont think we have them in the Oz spec SD...?!?
Cheers
Gary

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:38 pm

it leans the exhaust out by injecting fresh air into the heads, makes the bike cat converter friendly, it is all in a lame attempt to please the EPA and all of the emission and noise regulation people, this is reason #1 for jacking with or altering a perfectly good bike in the first place... you have the air box that hides the engine intake sound, then you have the muffler that is cherry red on the inside and creates loads of heat and is very quite! then you have the SAS that is there to please the lean mungers,(government officials)... this is it in a nutshell, to try and curb global warming and pollution problems.. Coincidentally this heat that is created and kept at the engine or as close as possible is what kills the engine, heat is the enemy and it is doubly bad with these alternate devices to curb noise and emissions.

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:38 am

cjc wrote:FWIW - I've had mine off for about a year/12,000 miles and no problems with a 1,000 ohm resistor.

i used a 27k ohm 1/4watt with no problems.

Freestyler
Master of the twisties

Postby Freestyler » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:48 am

Joe is it esenchale ,to lay it all out as you do it ,on a ded Dog on ice as well dose this help :lol: .......... :wink:
onley Ded fish go with the fow.

I Hate to advocate Drugs Alkcahol Violence or ,Insaneity, To eney one but they'ev allways warked for me .
Hunter S Thomson ,RIP.

paddle faster
I hear Banjos

cabexbx
Two wheeled terror

Re: Any problems with this yet?

Postby cabexbx » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I just wired up the resistor this weekend, but isn't that what a resistor is built for?

Spyder wrote: It seems that the voltage coming across to open the SAS valve would generate heat across the resistor, and therefore eventually burn up?
'07 Super Duke

TheJoker
Trackday hero

Postby TheJoker » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:39 pm

I've just done this to my bike too.

First I checked that my 1000 ohm resistor would work and it did, so I soldered it onto the cable. Once I had that done, I proceeded to remove the SAS valve and the rest.
Sadly I was unable remove everything. I got the SAS valve off no problem, but I didn't want to spend too much time on this issue right now, so I wasn't able to get to the front "thingymajig" that's on the side of the cylinder. I therefore left the hose in place and plugged the end of the hose with a Homebase "Internal Stop End" from the plumbing section and a hose (Jubilee) clip. :P The rear cylinder on the other hand I managed to get to. I simply removed the hoses and plugged the "thingymajig" on the cylinder. It looks a bit ugly as I used black electrical tape for the moment.
This is however quite temporary as I'm planning to machine some SAS covering plates on my milling machine. But I have some other projects at the moment (downstairs toilet needs refurbishing)... :roll:
I also removed the hose that goes into the airbox. From the airbox itself I removed the "hose-holder-thingy" and replaced it with a piece of plastic I cut to size and gluegunned on.
I've got some pictures of the stuff, but I didn't take nearly enough to describe it all. I can take more pics should someone want more pics. Please ask. :)

I took it out for a (very short) test-ride and to my astonishment some of the jerkiness is gone! YAY!!!! YAYAYYAYAY!!!! I don't know why, but it's smoother. It really is. There's a considerable difference. It's not perfect, but it's much better.

Big thanks to Joe, the-bunker and cat for all the help, pics and tips! :D
Abandoned the KTM for an F800GS and mud.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:22 am

jehadjoe wrote:it leans the exhaust out by injecting fresh air into the heads, makes the bike cat converter friendly, it is all in a lame attempt to please the EPA and all of the emission and noise regulation people, this is reason #1 for jacking with or altering a perfectly good bike in the first place... you have the air box that hides the engine intake sound, then you have the muffler that is cherry red on the inside and creates loads of heat and is very quite! then you have the SAS that is there to please the lean mungers,(government officials)... this is it in a nutshell, to try and curb global warming and pollution problems.. Coincidentally this heat that is created and kept at the engine or as close as possible is what kills the engine, heat is the enemy and it is doubly bad with these alternate devices to curb noise and emissions.

Would you recommend this as a mod for all SD then? If you have Akropovic fitted does this not allow the heat to be dissipated from the engine quicker?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

TheJoker
Trackday hero

Postby TheJoker » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:36 am

Highly recommend the mod. Also note that it's not just to dilute the exhausts, it's actually there to create a secondary burn as you're adding oxygen to a very very hot gas, and when the oxygen is injected anything that can burn will try to burn. Such as unburnt fuel.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:47 am

you don't loose the beautiful pop pop bang! of a backfire do you? Man i love the way my SD backfires lol
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:52 am

[quote="jehadjoe"]Steve, here it is without the shrouds.... the same actually... I can take more in a bit if you want with her shrouds on...

Dude if you don't mind me asking where did you get that filter mod? She looks so nice with the airbox shrouds off and must sound amazing sucking all that air in.
Some of the stuff you guys have done on here to your SD is awesome.
The late Bill Hicks

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:04 pm

Hello Colonel_Klinck, I do not mind you asking, really quite enjoy answering...Thanks for the compliment.

The modification is the aftermarket air box, first generation was called Mar box, 2nd gen is Moto box,

named from their creators. They had seen a need and filled the void, this allowed for a space to be created... blessed are we at SD.Net.

Can you point me in the direction of where i could find some info on purchasing airbox mods?

Colonel_Klinck, joe has a mar box for sale if interested PM me.

(but you are going to loose the pop if you remove the sas system, mine still has some left, I call this afterburn).

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:33 pm

Cheers for reply dude. Just off to pub to watch the footy but will PM you later as i love the look of this mod.
Do you know if this and the SAS mod effects emissions that could cause a problem for our MOT test here in the UK?
The late Bill Hicks

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:35 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Cheers for reply dude. Just off to pub to watch the footy but will PM you later as i love the look of this mod.
Do you know if this and the SAS mod effects emissions that could cause a problem for our MOT test here in the UK?

this I do not know.

TheJoker
Trackday hero

Postby TheJoker » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:36 am

Your exhausts should be clean enough to pass the M.O.T, but if you don't. You can simply reinstate the system. You can, for example, leave all the tubing in place and simply block the tubes and disconnect the electrickery wire. You could even put a switch on the wires to switch between SAS and non-SAS.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:38 am

TheJoker wrote:Your exhausts should be clean enough to pass the M.O.T, but if you don't. You can simply reinstate the system. You can, for example, leave all the tubing in place and simply block the tubes and disconnect the electrickery wire. You could even put a switch on the wires to switch between SAS and non-SAS.

Cheers dude thats just what i needed to hear. Awesome!
The late Bill Hicks

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Conl, That is some true genius above your head, he be the gatekeeper, whom joe puts on high place.

Thare is no one in this forum whom can match his determination & wisdom. :roll: 8)

welladjusted
Minimoto racer

Postby welladjusted » Sun May 24, 2009 10:46 pm

joe- maybe this is a question for Aaron (and one that will inadvertently expose my novice-level knowledge of the intake sys) but what of any rain that does somehow get past the filter and into the box. are the rims of the t.b.'s raised above the bottom of the box to check water run, or does that pesky precipitation have all-access to my precious powerplant? i cant wait for mine to get here....
'07 SD 990
'03 Aprilia RSV

"...Smoky, this isn't "Nam", this is bowling, there are rules..."

Next

Return to How to do it!