SAS Valve removal (for off road purposes only!)

Done a good mod that people might want to copy? Post it here - full step-by-step instructions and pix.

FAQs can go in here too
...BUZZ...
Stunt rider

Postby ...BUZZ... » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 pm

motor cycles are not tested for emissions in mot centres in the uk..... :D so removing the sas valve will have no effect at MOT time.... :D
990 SUPER DUKE/GSXR 1000 K7 ABUSER

www.moto-pro.co.uk

drkwng
Two wheeled terror

Postby drkwng » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:55 am

Quick question, and one that may have already been answered on here but my eyes are too bleary to read all the way through. Is the resister needed to fool the ecu the same as what you use to delete the O2 sensors?
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

TheJoker
Trackday hero

Postby TheJoker » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:03 am

drkwng wrote:Quick question, and one that may have already been answered on here but my eyes are too bleary to read all the way through. Is the resister needed to fool the ecu the same as what you use to delete the O2 sensors?

Yes. Without the resistor the ECU thinks the cables are faulty or the unit is faulty.
Abandoned the KTM for an F800GS and mud.

TC's SD
Two wheeled terror

Postby TC's SD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:49 pm

Got my plates on today, 'thanks Aaron', they look better than anticipated.
Found it easiest to remove RH 'y' bracket to allow better access to front cyl. which is PITA anyway.
BTW Napa cap 660-1697 fits the stock airbox perfectly. Moto box very soon to follow!

Please disregard chain lube sling, i've since switched...

...BUZZ...
Stunt rider

Postby ...BUZZ... » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:17 pm

drkwng wrote:Quick question, and one that may have already been answered on here but my eyes are too bleary to read all the way through. Is the resister needed to fool the ecu the same as what you use to delete the O2 sensors?

unless its my bike as fi dont show as fault..???? :lol:
990 SUPER DUKE/GSXR 1000 K7 ABUSER

www.moto-pro.co.uk

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Thu May 20, 2010 8:51 pm

I got the Fi error on my 08. 15 minutes to find my stuff and do the resistor mod and all's good. I think the bike runs better now. I didn't think that this would change anything on how the bike would run but it's a bit smoother and sounds better out the pipes. The black MH plates look great too.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

Ya Mother
Stunt rider

Location: newcastle, the one in the shit hemisphere with the shit weather. and the slutty big breasted women!

Postby Ya Mother » Thu May 20, 2010 10:28 pm

Just took mine out today, first time after fitting the MH block off plates....no popping and a little bit smoother....still a bitch at 30/35mph tho.
What the deuce?

Willh
Wheelie king

Postby Willh » Thu May 20, 2010 11:37 pm

The Akra map took care of 90% of the backfiring, the plates did away with the last 10%.
2008 Superduke
850 Commando engined '68 P11 project

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Re: SAS Valve removal (for off road purposes only!)

Postby blb » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks to a pair of Millars plates, I have just done this to my SD.

I can honestly say it was the biggest pain in the ass ever, never have I sworn at a bike more! Fitting the rear plate, soldering in the resistor and removing the valve and pipework was reasonably easy BUT....

That front plate is the worst thing ever! I'm still not sure its on properly as I think I can hear it "ticking" will have to have another look tomorrow night. Finally got it all together thought it was hometime and THEN.....

The bastard tank screw grrrr :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: took an hour to get that thing in. grrrr

I am actually afraid to ever lift the tank ever again!

Glad I got that off my chest!
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:10 am

Did you remember to block off the hole in the airbox after removing everything.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:39 pm

Hi TJ, Yeah no problems with that, had another look last night and tightened down the front plate again.

All is good now, no popping and banging and maybe a little smoother too, happy days.
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:38 pm

No worries, I always mention it as it's something not everybody realises needs to be done, they just stick the plates on and then start sucking dirty air into their engine through the new open hole in the airbox.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

factorymotohd
Minimoto racer

Postby factorymotohd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:22 am

Hello: I am a new member and I could really use a hand with a problem with the SAS valve error code, I have read everything I could find on this subject on this site, So this is where Im At, 2007 Ktm 990 SD removed all the smog " Racing only" and installed the block off plates, Removed the SAS valve and installed a 1k om 1/4 amp resistor and the bike is flashing a 54 code, I have used the xc1 tool because I worked for a KTM dealer for years but no longer, I bought a innerface cable from adv rider " very nice people" downloaded the tune ecu software and have innerfaced with the bikes ecu, Found in the program delete error code and clicked on it, The function continues to come back with the errors code and says thats its still open or a short to ground, I have ck, replace and increased to 2k omes with no change? I have unplugged the ecu and ck continuity from the w/p looking wire to the ecu and is good and no short to ground, The other wire "Orange" goes to a bundle of orange wires crimped together which run though out the bike. I dont understand why the the code keeps coming back? Ideas please. Thank you,

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 pm

factorymotohd wrote:Hello: I am a new member and I could really use a hand with a problem with the SAS valve error code, I have read everything I could find on this subject on this site, So this is where Im At, 2007 Ktm 990 SD removed all the smog " Racing only" and installed the block off plates, Removed the SAS valve and installed a 1k om 1/4 amp resistor and the bike is flashing a 54 code, I have used the xc1 tool because I worked for a KTM dealer for years but no longer, I bought a innerface cable from adv rider " very nice people" downloaded the tune ecu software and have innerfaced with the bikes ecu, Found in the program delete error code and clicked on it, The function continues to come back with the errors code and says thats its still open or a short to ground, I have ck, replace and increased to 2k omes with no change? I have unplugged the ecu and ck continuity from the w/p looking wire to the ecu and is good and no short to ground, The other wire "Orange" goes to a bundle of orange wires crimped together which run though out the bike. I dont understand why the the code keeps coming back? Ideas please. Thank you,

Use TuneECU, download your current map, un-tick the SAI box on the left, erase the code as before. SAVE THE MAP. Then download it to your bike.

That should sort out your problem, plus you can get rid of the resistor and tape up the plug if you wish, as it's no longer needed.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

factorymotohd
Minimoto racer

Postby factorymotohd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you for your reply, I can see the SAI on the botton side of the screen and I see you can click on it to test but not turn off? Can you only turn it off the SAS if you load a map and opens a screen different than the dio/test screen? If so, My bike has leoV pipes and the 0s looped off, sas off and block off plates with the stock airbox, What map would you sudjest and could you please walk me though it? As I said before I have used the Xc1 tool so I know the system alittle but have never used this tool, So far Im very impressed, I was thinking the closest map was the Acrapovic slipon EUmap. Please help explain how to load the map and turn off the SAS, Thank you so much,

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:36 pm

factorymotohd wrote:Thank you for your reply, I can see the SAI on the botton side of the screen and I see you can click on it to test but not turn off? Can you only turn it off the SAS if you load a map and opens a screen different than the dio/test screen? If so, My bike has leoV pipes and the 0s looped off, sas off and block off plates with the stock airbox, What map would you sudjest and could you please walk me though it? As I said before I have used the Xc1 tool so I know the system alittle but have never used this tool, So far Im very impressed, I was thinking the closest map was the Acrapovic slipon EUmap. Please help explain how to load the map and turn off the SAS, Thank you so much,

Yeah you need the map edit screen to do anything to the map. It's done exactly as I stated above.

Go here for new maps and go here for everything TuneECU
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

factorymotohd
Minimoto racer

Postby factorymotohd » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Thank you guys for all your help, I have innerfaced with the ecm and downloaded the U.S. map " was in the factory ecu" to get inside the sensor bar to subtract the SAI and it seems to had let me turn off the SAI and erace the error code, I did the 15 min run and turned the bike off let it sit for 10 mins and turned it back on and the error code is not flashing, At this point I would like to try and download the EU map for the Acrapovic pipes but dont know where to import it from? Is it in the tune ecu somewhere to import? I saw the map on the tune ecu website when I first started reading but didnt see a place to select it when I was innerfacing with the bike, I will plug it back in and try to find it, Is this a good basic map for a bike with just slipon pipes? Thanks everyone.

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello, Best to build your own map as it does require tweaking due to elevation, barometric pressures and so on. Even on a good day there are multiple variables that do apply to any hydro variance circumference multiple variation allowable to science and the application of it.

factorymotohd
Minimoto racer

Postby factorymotohd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:13 am

Thank you for your reply, I dont want to damage my bike building a map when there are a few already done that are plug and play, I just dont know exacty how to import the map. I would like to try and use from tune ecu program? Do you know if it is safe to use the EU map with U.S. fuel? Is it a better map than the U.S. Acrapovic map? The 2 maps Im looking at are km611us0704530 and km611eu0704530. Can someone tell me which is a better map for a stock 990SD with slipons only, Also can you tell me when I have the bike plugged in and tune ecu up where do I import these from in the program? Thank you

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Yes-many here would know better than me but to answer the questions.... many as their are. Would be most prudent to consult with a mc tuner, one with a dyno. Your bike is a motorcycle unto itself if you want it right, meaning right in the fuel management arena in particular. Your geographic location is prolly 1 of the most important "matches" if you can take all of the variables (altered custom high performance parts) and combine them (which is exactly what my 07 990 SD is running on at the moment) so luck is a large part of just gunning mindlessly at maps. You could get lucky and get a custom map from someone here and it work fine, then again you can spend allot of time and $$ with a tuner and still be gambling with proven results, best to ask where to go and who to speak with in regards to your local.. here in this forum that is. Just for the record- I came here with specifically the same question and is somewhat complicated, you need to consult with KTM US if that is where you are, get the map they recommend first then build on top of that.

Previous

Return to How to do it!