Estoril with new Mupo cartridges.

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
Colonel_Klinck

Estoril with new Mupo cartridges.

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Just back from 3 days at Estoril. Very technical circuit with double apexes and late apexes. Also lots of heavy breaking into the slower corners that can catch you out, they are unforgiving if you carry too much speed in but they are always tempting you to do so. First time out on the Mupo K911 cartridges. Wow what a difference! Now the front end doesn't dive under heavy braking, you can carry brake all the way to the apex. Before I had zero feel when pushing on, whereas now I have confidence that the front isn't just going to disappear from under me. The best money I've spent on the 1290 so far. Standard gearing was perfect and GPS laptimer had top speed at 160mph down that straight.

A few pics and a lap

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: Estoril with new Mupo cartridges.

Postby Aphex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:53 am

I'm so jealous of that pavement. All our tracks here in Southern California look like this:

and that's one of the nicer ones.

Any tips on riding a naked bike fast?
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 am

Bike is looking good Klinky! Nice video as well. Appears you had the track all to yourself.

Who installed the Mupo carts for you? Based on your pace and travel indicator they've got you dialed straight away.

Aphex,

You're going to like Chuckwalla....the funnest track in So Cal (IMHO) of course. Some braking bumps manifesting themselves at the end of the back straight (due to heavy as shit cars) but other than that the asphalt is in great shape. Plus, there is so much run-off room that you'll find yourself in Vegas before you hit anything :lol:

Buddy just bought us tickets for the 3rd of November so we'll see you there. Oh, CCW is the favored direction around there as well so good choice!

Cheers

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:56 am

Lowrance wrote:Bike is looking good Klinky! Nice video as well. Appears you had the track all to yourself.

Who installed the Mupo carts for you? Based on your pace and travel indicator they've got you dialed straight away.

Aphex,

You're going to like Chuckwalla....the funnest track in So Cal (IMHO) of course. Some braking bumps manifesting themselves at the end of the back straight (due to heavy as shit cars) but other than that the asphalt is in great shape. Plus, there is so much run-off room that you'll find yourself in Vegas before you hit anything :lol:

Buddy just bought us tickets for the 3rd of November so we'll see you there. Oh, CCW is the favored direction around there as well so good choice!

Cheers

Yeah last afternoon of 3 days so lots of people were already packing up. Pretty much had the track to myself. I gave Mupo all my details, weight in my gear, tyres I use, pace I ride at and they send a setup sheet. TBF it was pretty much spot on. I took 1 turn of preload off and a click of compression as I wasn't using the full length of the fork. Other than that it was spot on. Had them fitted by Mark @ GoRacing Development. He runs a BSB team and knows Mupo really well.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 am

Aphex wrote:I'm so jealous of that pavement. All our tracks here in Southern California look like this:

and that's one of the nicer ones.

Any tips on riding a naked bike fast?

I'm sure you will already know some or maybe all of this stuff. Still these would be my tips.

First of all get the bike properly setup for track. Suspension setup is the best money you will ever spend! If possible watch a vid of someone who is fast around that track and study their lines. You can spend a day trying to figure out lines around some circuits, studying beforehand saves a lot of time and money.
Build up your speed slowly, don't try and go fast straight away or chances are you are going to scare yourself.
Use all of the tarmac, one of the main things I see when instructing is riders not using the full width of the circuit. Going kerb to kerb on a lot of corners makes the turn as shallow as possible and allows you to carry more speed and get on the gas earlier as you aren't carrying the same lean angle.
Use your eyes and turn your head in the corners. When you reach the tip in point look to the apex, if it is blind look to where you know it is. Where you look is where you'll go. Once you reach the apex look to your exit and where you want to be in 100m time.
As you start to exit the corner and feed in the power push the bike up and away from you, you remain off the bike so helping it complete the turn but the bike is more upright allowing you to safely apply power.
Use braking markers, ride a lap normally and then choose a corner or two and pick a marker where you normally apply the brake. If you arrive at the corner thinking I could brake later there, then move the marker on a couple of meters at a time until you stop thinking I could brake earlier. Get the hard braking done early. You don't want to brake softly and get harder as you get into the corner. I apply some brake to compress the suspension and load the front tyre then brake hard, as I approach the tip in point I start easing off the brake and as lean angle increases I ease more and more off the brake lever.
Finally and this is very very common. Get your arse moved on the bike early! So many riders do it in this order. Brake/gears- move - tip in. Or even worse brake/gears - tip in and move at the same time. You want to do it in the complete opposite order to that. Move - brakes/gears - tip in. Moving last is bad for two reasons. One it unsettles the bike just when you need it at its most settled, as you tip in. Secondly you'll need to leave time to move at the end of your braking. If you end up going into a corner too quickly you are going to be in even more trouble as you still need to move. Move early and that is one less thing you need to do, things are already busy enough as you are braking, doing gears and getting ready to tip in. Don't move back to the middle of the bike unless you are on a straight. If you have a right followed by another right stay on the right side of the bike. If you have a right followed by a left, move straight to the left, don't stop in the middle.

Hope some of this helps

Not sure if you've seen this but worth a watch if you haven't. Motovudu by Simon Crafar. Link is to my dropbox. Twist of the wrist 2 is worth a read/watch as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0cso78byxlvl ... 1.m4v?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2ncjuphtldoz ... I.avi?dl=0
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Lowrance wrote:Aphex,

Cheers

Awe yeaaaaaah, it's gonna be nice to know some people heading out there. What group are your tickets for? If you guys are in B i might bug ya for a tow.

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
I'm sure you will already know some or maybe all of this stuff. Still these would be my tips.

First of all get the bike properly setup for track. Suspension setup is the best money you will ever spend! If possible watch a vid of someone who is fast around that track and study their lines. You can spend a day trying to figure out lines around some circuits, studying beforehand saves a lot of time and money.
Build up your speed slowly, don't try and go fast straight away or chances are you are going to scare yourself.
Use all of the tarmac, one of the main things I see when instructing is riders not using the full width of the circuit. Going kerb to kerb on a lot of corners makes the turn as shallow as possible and allows you to carry more speed and get on the gas earlier as you aren't carrying the same lean angle.
Use your eyes and turn your head in the corners. When you reach the tip in point look to the apex, if it is blind look to where you know it is. Where you look is where you'll go. Once you reach the apex look to your exit and where you want to be in 100m time.
As you start to exit the corner and feed in the power push the bike up and away from you, you remain off the bike so helping it complete the turn but the bike is more upright allowing you to safely apply power.
Use braking markers, ride a lap normally and then choose a corner or two and pick a marker where you normally apply the brake. If you arrive at the corner thinking I could brake later there, then move the marker on a couple of meters at a time until you stop thinking I could brake earlier. Get the hard braking done early. You don't want to brake softly and get harder as you get into the corner. I apply some brake to compress the suspension and load the front tyre then brake hard, as I approach the tip in point I start easing off the brake and as lean angle increases I ease more and more off the brake lever.
Finally and this is very very common. Get your arse moved on the bike early! So many riders do it in this order. Brake/gears- move - tip in. Or even worse brake/gears - tip in and move at the same time. You want to do it in the complete opposite order to that. Move - brakes/gears - tip in. Moving last is bad for two reasons. One it unsettles the bike just when you need it at its most settled, as you tip in. Secondly you'll need to leave time to move at the end of your braking. If you end up going into a corner too quickly you are going to be in even more trouble as you still need to move. Move early and that is one less thing you need to do, things are already busy enough as you are braking, doing gears and getting ready to tip in. Don't move back to the middle of the bike unless you are on a straight. If you have a right followed by another right stay on the right side of the bike. If you have a right followed by a left, move straight to the left, don't stop in the middle.

Hope some of this helps

Not sure if you've seen this but worth a watch if you haven't. Motovudu by Simon Crafar. Link is to my dropbox. Twist of the wrist 2 is worth a read/watch as well.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o0cso78byxlvl ... 1.m4v?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o2ncjuphtldoz ... I.avi?dl=0

Thanks for the write up, I still need practice on braking hard and deep into the corner. I do find myself pussing out and hitting the brakes early but softly to load up the front then I really start to clamp down when I get to my braking marker.

I saved those vids to my dropbox and will check them out on my lunch break tomorrow.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

TimR
Two wheeled terror

Postby TimR » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:20 am

Nice pics and vid.
That's a good looking bike....for a 1290 :D

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:05 am

Bike looks great :)
Recovering superbike addict

DukeNukem999
Two wheeled terror

Postby DukeNukem999 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:49 am

Yep, the bike looks very nice :)
2010 SD, Rottweiler intake / SAS removal, Akrapovic slipons, ergo seat, Scott's oil filter, factory alarm, SDR levers, Shorai (LiFePO4) battery, oem 16T / KTM Supersprox 40T, RK GB525GXW chain, Michelin Pilot Road 4 rear / Pilot Power 3 front.

Return to On track