Post your 1/4 mile times

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
Peachy00
Two wheeled terror

Re: Post your 1/4 mile times

Postby Peachy00 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Well you did better than I did! Think my best was 11.68 @ 118 odd mph. That big spin and slide on the first run really didn't help my confidence. But that's no excuse, just didn't really happen the way I'd hoped. Always next time.

Anata
Stunt rider

Postby Anata » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Maybe next time try running on the wets!

Here's one of my better runs... 8)
05 SD
08 SD

41KS
Two wheeled terror

Postby 41KS » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Whats your gearing, 16:40? Bike has quick shifter? Slipping the clutch at 6K rpm is the best way to have best "launch control"? ...how do you comment :) ...and thanks for sharing tacho, I still have no clue how to go right on and right fast from stoplight; seems 0 - 30mph is just not this bikes playground :)
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

Anata
Stunt rider

Postby Anata » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Yes the gearing is 16:40. No quickshifter at this point. For me around 5 or 6k feels good, just under the peak torque but this start isn't very good. I was too slow in getting the clutch to a good point and I rolled off a little too much through the corners. Plenty of room for improvement in September!
05 SD
08 SD

omky756
Wheelie king

Postby omky756 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:31 pm

Should be coming soon..???
Looks like a blast..
but why don't they pick a straight
road to run it on.???
Just curious...
8)

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 am

Hey sorry for being late to the party, didn't know there was a Super Duke drag race challenge. I guess I'm the only U.S. SD drag racer so I'll do my best. I just went to the local track last night (Wednesday) with my '06 Super Duke and already ordered a 16-40 sprocket combo from just 5-passes down the track. The bike is all stock except for an Akrop header and a pair of Two Brothers one-off proto cans, (2-Bros used my SD to do the fitment and let me have them :) ) Also stock intake and paper filter with 17-38 gearing :cry: . So not knowing this thread was going on I started one today and then TLS_Russ and Linga let me know about it and Linga posted the link, (thumbsup and beers :D )

This is what I posted in the other link: (and how do I post my time slip and a photo of the Super Duke)

NE1 1/4 Mile Drag Race their Super Duke?

by SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:30 pm

Took my Super Duke to a local NHRA drag strip for Wednesday "Fun Night" just to see what kind of times it would run. The bike is basically stock except for a one-off set of prototype Two Brothers cans with an Akrop ti header. It ran 11:404 @ 121.69 MPH. The rear tyre NEVER hooked up (too new and too rounded, need a worn out flat tread area tyre that we all throw away ) and would spin even with the front wheel off the ground. Hit the rev limiter a couple of runs that killed a chance at a little better time but "that's racing". I hadn't been to an actual drag strip in many, many years until last Wednesday when I took my '69 440 Plymouth GTX (4-speed) to the same track. They had over 50 bikes there last week and I thought the bikes looked like they were having way more fun racing and shooting the $#!T between runs than the cars so I decided I'd take the Super Duke last night. It was a lot more fun and ended up hanging out between runs with just about everyone of the 40+ bike guys there and ran the guy that won eliminations last week on a 2000 Aprilia RSV Mille running 10:70's several times. He was really interested in the Super Duke and little did he know that the same engineer Claus Holweg that designed his engine at Rotax also did the LC8 for KTM Could go on and on about last night but I have some tweaking I need to do to get the Super Duke into the 10's, stock with nothing more than a pipe and cans.

Anyone else drag raced their Super Duke......what kind of times?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:10 am

This is the track's report from last Wednesday with a photo of the Aprilia that won.................(and a photo of my '69 440 GTX, yellow with black vinyl top and hood stripes). I'm out to whoop some Aprilia butt with the Super Duke so I'll need lots of help from you guys :D THANKS!

http://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/im ... 082912.pdf

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:14 pm

MrZ32 wrote:
indy84 wrote:
TLS_Russ wrote:Thats a pretty damn good time/terminal speed :!:
What gearing did you run and how much do you weigh :?:

Im 75kg... 165lbs

The bike is 16F 41R .... 6th gear at 9800rpm is 225km

I'm going to go out with Mr Z32 velocity stacks next time what that does to it.

I'll help tune them up for you... I start working on the first set of carbon fibre ones tomorrow (when they are finished you can try my pair from my bike, fuller lip (call it a collagen injection for the DVS' if you wil) to stop cavitation effects)

Where might I buy a pair of Mr Z32 velocity stacks?

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 pm

The guy on the Priller looks like he has got the front end strapped down :wink:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah there's only about two inches of travel showing and the rear is lower too. He trailered the bike there so the set-up the same evertime and he's got it down to a consistant dial in time of 10:70 or 10:67 depending on conditions. Me, I'm still all over the place right now 11:404 to 11:712. I'm going for 10:6's and Aprilia hunting :P Time for the carbon wheels with a flat center race compound 180 slick, what do you think?

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:36 pm

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:Yeah there's only about two inches of travel showing and the rear is lower too. He trailered the bike there so the set-up the same evertime and he's got it down to a consistant dial in time of 10:70 or 10:67 depending on conditions. Me, I'm still all over the place right now 11:404 to 11:712. I'm going for 10:6's and Aprilia hunting :P Time for the carbon wheels with a flat center race compound 180 slick, what do you think?

Yea if you are really serious and not riding to the track you can lower the SD in the same way, shorter tie bars to replace the shock and drop the forks through the yokes, watch out for clearance though!

Looking at the Priller guys terminal speed the bike is pretty stock power wise, he is running these times with a very good launch and set up,

Your SD is lighter, should have more power than the Priller so you really only need to get the bike set up to launch really hard and geared right to be beating him, unless you weigh 300lbs that is.......... but looking at your ET / Speed I guess you dont :lol:

Save your money on go faster stuff until you have the bike set up right and your technique sorted,

I have run a 10.65 @ 132 on a 99 TLs without any tricks except for the tyres pressures, ride to the track drop the pressures run all day pump em up and ride home, that time is just experience and good technique, a guy I know with a similar TLs but with 6bhp less than mine lowered and stretched a little runs consistent high 9s :P
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:25 pm

Here's a time slip from the other night with me (#88) up against the Aprilia (#55) you can see I need to work on EVERYTHING :oops: :oops: 60' times are terrible, :oops: I'll see if I can post the 121.69 mph one? Maybe I should be a little happier at this time with the time and speed, the SD is an '06 with over 10k miles on it and nothing more than an exhaust, not even a remap from the stock US emission setting, even the stock paper air filter :( Going to stick it on the dyno later and see what I have so I can see what changes help or hurt?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:54 am

Just got off the (Dynojet) dyno and the baseline best with just the Two Brothers Racing mufflers and mid-pipe with an Akrop ti header and stock KTM '06 EU mapping was:

116.64 HP/69.98 lb/ft torque @ the rear tyre (5th gear pull)

re-mapped with KTM EU map listed for working SAS and Lambda sensors with slip-on non-cat Akrop mufflers and the result was almost 3-horsepower and 1+ lb/ft torque at the rear tyre:

119.55 HP/71.14 lb/ft torque @ the rear tyre

There's the start and now for some improvements in the air intake and the final drive gearing (16/40) then some lighter wheels and a stickyer (is that a word?) flatter profile rear tyre and some playing with the air pressure...which I think I can get done before next Wednesday's track night.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:24 am

Here's my odd ball '06 Super Duke "drag queen" :lol:

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:13 pm

The 05/06 SDs are quicker so you have the best base bike,
Where did you get it I thought the 05/06 was not imported into the US :?:
oh and how did you mate the Akra system with the Two Brothers cans :?:

Just noticed you have the Akra 08SDR headers :shock:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:47 pm

TLS_Russ wrote:The 05/06 SDs are quicker so you have the best base bike,
Where did you get it I thought the 05/06 was not imported into the US :?:
oh and how did you mate the Akra system with the Two Brothers cans :?:

Just noticed you have the Akra 08SDR headers :shock:

Part of the reason for my screen name..........the other part of the reason goes back to 1996 Image

Two Brothers made the mid-pipe and cans as prototypes on the bike but never made a production set :cry: they sound great. The mufflers are sideways so the tips are angled like the stock muffler ends.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:04 am

Changed the gearing to 16-40, (with new chain) put in a BMC FM493/20 air filter and a set of carbon wheels and could only get it to go an ET of 11:606 but my speed in the traps went up from 121.69 mph to 124.20. I was expecting to at the least get to 11:10's or big dream of into the very high 10's but :cry: .

I only had one time trial or practice run and that was the 11:606 @ 124.20 run and a 1.80 60' time and then waited for about two hours to get started with eliminations where I could only get back to a 11:407. Started really being able to spin the tyre and smoking it without water and getting it hot and had good traction this time.

Made the final three pairs of bikes all Hayabusa's and one lonely KTM Super Duke, pulled a .024 light to the Busa's .089 and couldn't keep the front wheel down and had to back out of it three times to keep it straight in the first 60' which resulted in a very poor 2.204 - 60' and ET, the Busa caught me at the line and just beat me.......he almost broke out on his dial in by .003 :|

I think for next Wednesday I'm going to a 38 T rear from the 40 T and leaving the 16 counter shaft or do you guys think I should go back to the 17 T / 38 T with the lighter carbon wheels?

(Oh and if you read above I dyno'd it and changed the mapping to get 119.55 Hp at the rear tyre BEFORE I made the changes in this post i.e., filter, wheels....should have gone quicker ET not faster mph but the 60' times were better, maybe the gearing is good for the 60' times but not the ET??????????????????)

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:57 pm

You got a higher trap speed because your power to weight ratio has improved with the wheels,

your 60` times are whats stopping you getting lower ETs, you need to get into the 1.6s that will put you in the high 10s as you are now,

I also think you need to get the bike set up on a dyno with the new filter :wink:

Gearing does not make a huge difference to your terminal speed or ET unless its miles out high or too low,
What you need to aim for with gearing is being able to launch the bike hard without too much wheelying / spinning up and not too low that you need to hit 2nd before you get your foot back up, try 16/38 if you are having problems with the front coming up, you could try flatter bars to, you need to get as much weight as you can on the front coming off the line :!:

Another thing, dont redline the bike in each gear that will cost you time, experiment with changing gear between peak torque and the power peak, you want the motor to drop onto peak toque with each shift but not below, its trial and error to find what shift point works best ( I guess you are already power shifting?) and once you are off the line and the bike is stable tuck in and get your upper body low on the bike, I take my left hand off the bars and hold the side off the tank :lol:

Good luck :wink:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Thanks Russ, and I'll try the "dirt track style" hand on the front fork like my long time friend Joe Kopp always does :shock: :shock:

Note Joe's leathers in this photo :D (and on the left and right knees too :) ) That's at over 100 mph and feet up :shock: Why our best road racer all had some Dirt Track racing experience (even Stoner was a dirt tracker before road racing, as you know)

Image Think about running down the 1/4 mile drag strip laid down like always and as you cross the finish line the track turns into dirt and you sit up and pitch it sideways at 140 mph and head for the return road feet up with a roost off the back tyre and you do this for a total of 25 miles :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by SUPER DUKE #1 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:27 pm

I weighed the bike on the NHRA scales on the way back from my first run on Wednesday and it weighed 410 lbs full of fuel....well maybe 9/10th full of fuel :wink:

A Honda pulled onto the scale right after me and it was 525 lbs.

(Wish I could figure out how to post photos from my files/folders, can't even figure out how to search this site to see if there is info on how to post photos)

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:54 pm

Would a quicker turn throttle be of any benefit....thinking sometimes I'm not getting to full throttle quick enough, not that I've been letting off between shifts but I almost think a couple of times I wasn't pinned

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:33 am

Ran the best time yet on her last night...
1642 gearing 190/69 rear
All with a fractured back too!

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:46 am

Wooooo thats fooking quick :wink:

Have you had your SDR on a dyno :?:
Last edited by TLS_Russ on Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:48 am

Still spinning off the line... The bastards haven't re surfaced it this year yet...
I want under 10.5...

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:11 pm

Linga wrote:Ran the best time yet on her last night...
1642 gearing 190/69 rear
All with a fractured back too!

WOW! Where's the thumbs up and beer toasting similes! Nice job and does the doc know you're doing this :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to On track