Post your 1/4 mile times

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Re: Post your 1/4 mile times

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:57 pm

Went again last night and only got two time trial runs in. Used them to try different shift points closer to peak torque from the dyno pulls........that worked like crap :lol: The only change from last week was the rear sprocket was changed from a 41 T to a 38 T. Came off the line well shifted around 8,700-9,000 and went backwards to 11.810 @ 122.13 mph from the 11.404 best so far.

Next run upped the shift rpm to around 9,100-9,200 rpm and went to 11.646 @ 122.52 mph which was a little better than the first run. Then it was time for eliminations and who lines up next to me but the first two event winner that was on the Aprilia but he's now on a Busa with a dial in of 9.80 :shock: I dial in 11.40, stage, let go first for higher dial in of course get to the finish and he comes by AFTER the line and I have the win light glowing in my lane. Find out from him picking up the time slip that he spun at the line and he says "I can't ride this thing worth a crap". I run a 11.584 @ 121.20 to his Busa time of 10.468 @ 141.11.

I figure that with my next run against a Kawi 4-cylinder, streached out laid down, drag purpose built bike with a dial in of 11.69 that I would dial in a 11.50 which was a tenth slower than my best of the past weeks......didn't want to red light so I pull a safe launch and go .404 R/T and then reel the Kawi in about half track, go by him, he gets on the brakes pretty hard 3/4 of the way down and I'm thinking he has a proble :shock: (that should have clued me in) wait just a hair longer and roll off the throttle hard just before the speed trap and his win light goes on :( I run a 11.457 @ 120.11 mph with a 11.50 so I break out by .043" :cry: It was in the low 50's F by that run and the bike was running better than ever so I now know I'm mapped a little too rich for the early part of the race and sure would have liked to have gone and run another time or even a time trial as that felt like a 11.20 or even a 11.10 running Super Duke. May remap it leaner and head to test and tune night tomorrow? Oh and I was back to shifting at or near red line on the tach oh and laid down but not Joe Kopp style....yet or until I grow a bigger set :P

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:59 am

I found these photos of me and "borrowed" them or just moved them over here :) Always the odd ball with the strange "what kind of bike is that" so someone was always watching.....chicks were digging it :lol: :lol: (made that up :P :lol:)

ImageImageImage

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Get them fooking mirrors off :lol:
'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:40 pm

'Ninety-nine percent of the people in the world are fools and the rest of us are in great danger of contagion'

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:41 pm

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Sorry......... back on a rubbish Apple computer as you can see :evil:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:45 pm

Okay I'll try and lose the fooking mirrors the next time!

Okay I'll try and lose the fooking mirrors the next time!

Okay I'll try and lose the fooking mirrors the next time! :lol:

But I ride to the track and the trip is through an area were there are a lot of State Highway Patrol officers and a lot of local Sherrifs that always check out bikes especially guys in full leathers and loud pipes. :shock:

Now I have to bring tools to take them off and then put them somewhere near staging,

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:42 pm

Ever come off the line in 2nd gear with 16-41 or 16-38?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

I've been using 1st and carrying the front wheel just slightly but I have to shift it so quick that I'm thinking of trying 2nd tonight.....what do you think?

Another "borrowed" image :oops:

Forgot to put the shield down on my first run that night but with no dirt or dust not a problem and eventually the wind at 100 mph puts the shield down for you anyway :lol:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:00 pm

Went 11.184 last night, so close to high 10's I could kick myself. Only one time trial run and then right into eliminations and got beat after two rounds by a 9 second Kawasaki that dialed in a high 10 and just toyed with me at the line. Now I have to figure out if I should play that game or just run balls out ALL THE TIME? This guy is a regular and has been doing this for a long, long time and told me that's what he does, he reels you in and then beats you by a wheel :evil: <-- that's me mad at myself for letting that happen. Have to figure out how to make that "wheel" that he put's on you at the line to make him break out :wink:

Oh and I put on a quick turn throttle and that really helped! I get FULL THROTTLE quick and ALL OF THE TIME. On a couple of runs the weeks before I was in a position on the bike that I was not sure if I had the bike WFO now I'm sure! I think this may have helped, in fact I know it has helped with 2-3 tenths ET. It's the Power Parts quick(est) ratio aluminium throttle tube, not the one with the three different ratio but the single ratio. I'll get the part number if someone wants it?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Which "quick-shifter" should I get or should I even bother? :?

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:57 pm

Anitori. They use the HM strain guage and I've got two and not had a failure yet.

cheesie
Stunt rider

Postby cheesie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:05 pm

Linga wrote:Anitori. They use the HM strain guage and I've got two and not had a failure yet.

do you have the hm plus

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:50 pm

cheesie wrote:
Linga wrote:Anitori. They use the HM strain guage and I've got two and not had a failure yet.

do you have the hm plus

What's the HM strain gauge? and what's the HM-Plus?

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 pm

What are the issues with the Bazzaz and KLS quick shift systems?

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:15 pm

HM are a brand of quick shifter that the pros and rich people use.
Very expensive and very good. They are fully programable.
The HM plus is a cheaper version in which you can adjust the milliseconds it cuts the ignition.
Cordona is anthor good QS.
Shifters use micro switches or strain gauges to sense a gear change.
The problem with microswitches is that they have moving parts that can fail.
A strain gauge is a solid piece of metal that as it deforms, changes resistance(I think) and is less prone to failure.
The Anotori QS has only three settings instead of the adjustable digital display.
I'm a massive fan as I don't think us mere mortals need to adjust the QS too much.
I have only had missed gears from not being firm enough with the shift.
You do have to be careful selectiv first from neutral as I have stalled it a few times at the beginning.
Now I just blip the throttle, clutch in and select, no hassles.
I found the medium setting to be the best.

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks,

What about reverse pattern shifting are you able to do that with any of these units or do you have to use specific units for each pattern? (sorry for all of the questions)

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:04 pm

Just talked to Bazzaz and they don't make a quick shift for the Super Duke because of the lack of a gear selector indicator that their system keys off. :(

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:05 am

You could also look at an air shifter if its just for drag racing, you need to fit a small compressed air tank on the bike and its only good for a few runs before you need to recharge the tank, but you get push button shifts and its great fun to use :lol:

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:21 am

TLS_Russ wrote:You could also look at an air shifter if its just for drag racing, you need to fit a small compressed air tank on the bike and its only good for a few runs before you need to recharge the tank, but you get push button shifts and its great fun to use :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmm air shifter.....and the track allows air shifters and there's an air compressor/air available right before the staging lanes to refill between rounds......now where do I search for one for a SUPER DUKE?

Will I still need an ignition kill system for the air shifter?

Thanks

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:07 am

SUPER DUKE #1 wrote:
TLS_Russ wrote:You could also look at an air shifter if its just for drag racing, you need to fit a small compressed air tank on the bike and its only good for a few runs before you need to recharge the tank, but you get push button shifts and its great fun to use :lol:

Hmmmmmmmmm air shifter.....and the track allows air shifters and there's an air compressor/air available right before the staging lanes to refill between rounds......now where do I search for one for a SUPER DUKE?

Will I still need an ignition kill system for the air shifter?

Thanks

I am sure if you ask around at the track someone will be able to point you in the right direction, the one I had was an MPS, good kit came with everything except the air tank, the tanks you can get in different sizes, I had a real small one so i could hide it away under the seat, good for about 50 shifts, the bigger tanks can do 150 shifts on a charge, you only need a good tyre pump to recharge the tank,
if you buy a kit it should come with an adjustable ignition cut module which you simply wire into the coils, there are more advanced systems which work through the ECU and cut the fuel/ignition together,the basic kits work fine and you get a nice pop through the exhaust on every shift .....after you have launched you just watch the revs and hit the button, its a buzz.... once you try an airshifter you will be addicted :lol:

Linga
Wheelie king

Postby Linga » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Check your PM's SUPERDUKE #1...
Hey Russ, when are we gonna see you back on the 1/4 mile?

TLS_Russ
Wheelie king

Postby TLS_Russ » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:07 pm

Linga wrote:Check your PM's SUPERDUKE #1...
Hey Russ, when are we gonna see you back on the 1/4 mile?

Going to be next year now............. my crazy lifestyle, too much to do and not enough time to do it all :(

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:30 am

How about a bump just to get this going again........and we'd like to see some 1290 Super Duke times here too

SD#1

SUPER DUKE #1
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPER DUKE #1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:51 am

From another thread where I'm looking for a shift light and finally in five times to the track this year won one final and runner up in another, plus made it to the final three pair in the other three events. Best run was an 11.112 and broke out with an 11.30 dial in. Pulled a .003 light and proud and embarrassed to say a really bad .184 red light.

Put a KLS Quick Shifter on it and that's it, still looking for a nice shift light and lowering it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25718

Let's see some more 1/4 times and setups!

PreviousNext

Return to On track