Texas Tornado Boot Camp

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
Colonel_Klinck

Texas Tornado Boot Camp

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:40 am

If I loved in the US I would have to say my pennies and go and do this. 4 days learning from Colin Edwards would be worth every penny.

http://www.texastornadobootcamp.com/

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Re: Texas Tornado Boot Camp

Postby chris2 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:00 am

I did it in September. Its worth it and more. Im going back again in May

cjc
Trackday hero

Postby cjc » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Hey Chris2 - have you done any of the Cornerspin, Keith Code or Yamaha Champions schools (or other) to offer a comparison? It looks like a blast.

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:07 am

Also did Yamaha Champions School. All of the courses are good, just different flavors. Everyone has a slightly different method of teaching and some things work for some people better than others. Taking any one class is going to be better than taking no class at all, but whether you can get more out of a specific class versus another.... The biggest plus to TTBC is that its more of a riding resort than a school. You live there for 4 days, all meals are included, after dinner you can ride until 11pm (and some people do).

cjc
Trackday hero

Postby cjc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:16 am

Cool. Everything I've seen about either sounds tremendous.

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:38 am

I did the Yamaha school when Jamie James was running it, so the new format might be different. Like I said before, any school is better than no school. Its always good to get a different perspective and different techniques. The biggest difference is that while most of the schools are 9-5, at TTBC you live there for four days straight. Its not cheap, but while youre there you wont spend a dime on anything. There's 5 or 6 different areas to ride in and they're all different. You'll work on different skills in each section and the pavilion area is lighted so you can ride at night. They may be adding lights for the rest of the areas in 2012.

In the evening, everyone chills out after dinner. Grab a beer, bullshit with Colin Edwards and Co. All of the instructors are very knowledgeable and approachable

Final day, shooting the .50 cal rifle. If you've never shot a pistol or rifle before, you'll have plenty of opportunities to do so here. Ride in the mornings, break for lunch, shoot for a bit, then go back to riding. Its good to take a break and let things sink in. It might sound like you're not getting a lot of riding time in, but trust me, you will be tired every single day.

Danny Eslick, 2009 Daytona Sportbike champ, 2010 XR1200 champ, 2011 Daytona Sportbike champ. He was the "Guest Instructor" for our weekend. This guy is fooking wild on the track. Really nice guy though. Every 4-day camp has a guest instructor. Ben Spies did one weekend in 2011.

Colin and his son, Hayes. There are a few kids there during the weekend and Colin's son will beat most of the crowd.

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Resurrecting this thread as I'm off to do this soonish. Just wondering if anyone else has done it?
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

Return to On track