Prepping for Track Day

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
Sarasota_Steve

Prepping for Track Day

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Hello,

I just signed up for my first track day with the SD. I got a set of Q3's that will be mounted very soon. Mechanically the bike is in great shape after my valve adjustment and botched/ fixed TPS adjustments :roll:

The organizers ask to just disable the head and tail lights. I will remove the fuse for the head light and tape the lens. I can also disconnect the tail light under the seat and voila! I will tape the tail light also.

1: Is it easier to remove the rear turn signals or remove the rear fender all together?

2: Front turn signals I guess I need to lower the front fairing (If it can be called a fairing). Disconnect and remove. Should be pretty straight forward.

3: Side stand. Remove or leave it alone? Will it touch down? It doesn't on the street but I also don't ride that aggressively on the street.

And I will set the suspension to "sport" settings. Right now I have it set in street settings and its complaint enough without being to soft for my taste.

I'm sure there are quite a few track junkies that can answer my questions.

Thanks in advance for your time,
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Re: Prepping for Track Day

Postby No. 47 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:14 am

If you remove side stand, you'll need to fit sensor blanking kit. Suggest fitting kit anyway 'cos one day the sensor/connector/wiring will fail leaving you stranded.
Last edited by No. 47 on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:23 am

No. 47 wrote:If you remove side stand, you'll need to fit sensor blanking kit. Suggest fitting kit anyway 'cod one day the sensor/connector/wiring will fail leaving you stranded.

And here is the relevant thread for disabling the sensor: http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16328

I would also take the time to set your rider sag, if you haven't already.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

websch
Two wheeled terror

Postby websch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Florida Trackdays?
PBIR Feb 08?
I will be there...PM me
Last edited by websch on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride it like you stole it...

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:26 pm

Going to Jennings GP in Florida. Track day organized by EuroCycles in Tampa. Feb 23rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DubsandBikes
Two wheeled terror

Postby DubsandBikes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Steve,

Answers to questions:

1: Is it easier to remove the rear turn signals or remove the rear fender all together?
Remove the tailpiece altogether, definitely. From memory it's 6 screws underneath the tailpiece, a ziptie that retains it to the underseat tray and two electrical connectors in the tray. After you've done it once, it's a 5 minute job to remove or refit.

2: Front turn signals I guess I need to lower the front fairing (If it can be called a fairing). Disconnect and remove. Should be pretty straight forward.
I wouldn't bother, unless it's mandatory. There's no ground clearance issue unless your last name is "Marquez".

3: Side stand. Remove or leave it alone? Will it touch down? It doesn't on the street but I also don't ride that aggressively on the street.
I would leave it on. Depending on your riding style and the camber in the corners it may touch down or not. It's possible to get to knee firmly down in a corner with neutral camber without the stand touching down. When it does go down, depending on how many sessions you do, you may just be able to file it down until you have a track compatible stand, that's what I did with mine :D

Hope you have a great time in the Florida sun. We've got a while to wait over here until we get to see sunshine again!

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:23 pm

DubsandBikes wrote:Hi Steve,

Answers to questions:

I wouldn't bother, unless it's mandatory. There's no ground clearance issue unless your last name is "Marquez".

Hope you have a great time in the Florida sun. We've got a while to wait over here until we get to see sunshine again!

Hey DnB,

Thank you very much for your input and knowledge. I wasn't thinking I was going to drag or touch down the front turn signals. :) Just in case I lay her down it would not throw plastics all over the track. But yes, I know, just don't crash right?

This is a video I found on YouTube of an SD at the Jennings GP track in North Fl.

I personally would have let the engine warm up before I took it to 10k rpm when entering the track and pulling a wheelie. Just a thought.

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

DubsandBikes
Two wheeled terror

Postby DubsandBikes » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:19 pm

Just in case I lay her down it would not throw plastics all over the track. But yes, I know, just don't crash right?

If you crash with real enthusiasm, I guess this could be a problem, but otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm assuming you've got engine crash protectors and shields for the clutch and generator covers. If not, I would strongly advise acquiring these and fitting before you go. All can be fitted yourself in 1-2 hours.

Every lowside I've had with the SD, the covers have touched down and if they get worn through, your repair bill will get more expensive quite quickly!

Have a good one, and let us know on here how you get on!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Don't bother removing the side stand for a trackday. You only need to remove them for racing. If you touch that down you will have worn through your footpeg, headers and foot first. You can lockwire it up if you are worried about it, personally I keep the side stand on my SDR and track/race Blade unless I'm racing as it's just handy to have it.

Do they really ask you to remove turn signals? If not why bother? Over here you are just asked to tape up main lights and speedo. If i was you I would tape up your speedo. The last thing you want to do is be tempted to glance at it on the main straight, it can end up with you missing your brake marker and tears before bedtime!

Definitely set suspension for track. Road suspension is way too soft for the track.

Relax, take your time building up speed and if there is any free instruction take it!
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:02 pm

Col klink,

they ask you to tape the turn signals in case you throw ur bike down the track. I already removed them since it is so damn easy.

Thank you for the xtra advice,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Aim to be like Tead hahaha

08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

DubsandBikes
Two wheeled terror

Postby DubsandBikes » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:30 pm

Don't bother removing the side stand for a trackday. You only need to remove them for racing. If you touch that down you will have worn through your footpeg, headers and foot first.

I will politely disagree with that Klinck - I filed away about a third of the foot of the stand at Portimao last year. As I said earlier, I think it's all down to camber in the corner. I agree that you don't need to remove the stand for a track day, but it may touch down in some circumstances.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:04 pm

DubsandBikes wrote:
Don't bother removing the side stand for a trackday. You only need to remove them for racing. If you touch that down you will have worn through your footpeg, headers and foot first.

I will politely disagree with that Klinck - I filed away about a third of the foot of the stand at Portimao last year. As I said earlier, I think it's all down to camber in the corner. I agree that you don't need to remove the stand for a track day, but it may touch down in some circumstances.

Hmm I've never touched my side stand down. Toes, battery spoiler on the old SD and belly pan but not side stand.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

DubsandBikes
Two wheeled terror

Postby DubsandBikes » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Hmm I've never touched my side stand down. Toes, battery spoiler on the old SD and belly pan but not side stand.

Ah, well you see, you're not leaning over as far are you? :wink:

Could just be the spring retaining my stand is tired and so it's hanging a bit lower than it should, but I seem to remember a few others having the same issue at Portimao.

cessnatpa
Two wheeled terror

Postby cessnatpa » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:56 am

Great day at the track today with Sarasota Steve

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:02 am

CessnaTpa is in front on his 1290, I'm shooting from my 990.
We hope to upload more video soon. Particularly interesting when the 990 passes the 1290. Say Whaaaat?
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 am

Nice video. did you use a suction cup mount on the tank?

Me so Hoony.

Sarasota_Steve

Prepping for Track Day

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:26 am

Yessir. I had the GoPro tethered to the handlebar with a "chain" made out of zip ties. You can see the zip ties flapping in the wind.

Funny thing: We finished the session and were chatting in the pits near the bikes and we heard the suction cup come loose and drop the camera. Glad I did not happen while in motion.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:32 am

cessnatpa wrote:Great day at the track today with Sarasota Steve

Your suspension is setup wrong! Dial it in properly or get some advice!
Your tyre is overheating and balling up.
This is not from leaning it in and giving it heaps. What happens is that the tyre gets fooked from this and you will suddenly loose traction due to it getting hard despite not being worn.
I speak from experience!!!

Without seeing the bike I guess you need more preload on the spring at the back and less rebound on the damping. Probably a bit too much compression too.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

cessnatpa
Two wheeled terror

Postby cessnatpa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:11 pm

ktmguy wrote:
cessnatpa wrote:Great day at the track today with Sarasota Steve

Your suspension is setup wrong! Dial it in properly or get some advice!
Your tyre is overheating and balling up.
This is not from leaning it in and giving it heaps. What happens is that the tyre gets fooked from this and you will suddenly loose traction due to it getting hard despite not being worn.
I speak from experience!!!

Without seeing the bike I guess you need more preload on the spring at the back and less rebound on the damping. Probably a bit too much compression too.

I admit I don't have a clue about setting up a suspension, I went by the book and set everything to the sport settings.
Could the problem also be I did a nonstop riding session of over 50 miles? not sure at what point the pic was taken but I did 153 miles on that tyre.
I appreciate the input.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:40 pm

The tyre could also be under inflated. It looks like a hot tear.

Me so Hoony.

cessnatpa
Two wheeled terror

Postby cessnatpa » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Aphex wrote:The tyre could also be under inflated. It looks like a hot tear.

I had 32 psi

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:45 pm

cessnatpa wrote:
Aphex wrote:The tyre could also be under inflated. It looks like a hot tear.

I had 32 psi

Apex is correct it's hot tear. Since your tyre pressure is correct the suspension is the culprit!
Get some advise or read up about it.

What's your sag at the rear and what's your weight?
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:37 am

This is my Q3 after a couple of sessions. I had 32psi.

Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:47 am

Sarasota_Steve wrote:This is my Q3 after a couple of sessions. I had 32psi.

If you where really nailing it out of the corners it's ok, if not you have similar issues.
Too much sag (more preload on the spring) and a little less rebound damping.

Next

Return to On track