1290 Superduke on the Nurburgring

Trackdays, racing, MotoGP, WSB, AMA and any other 'on track' discussions
MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

1290 Superduke on the Nurburgring

Postby MaximusVR46 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Just thought i'd show you my first ever lap on the Nurburgring whilst i was visiting Germany.

I'm a novice so don't be too harsh with the comments.

Cheers

Lets Ride!

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Re: 1290 Superduke on the Nurburgring

Postby MaximusVR46 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm

sorry this may need moving to the track day section :oops:

EDIT: Done!
Lets Ride!

Galleta
Minimoto racer

Postby Galleta » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Seems like a nice experience so you could say you did it and mark it off the bucket list. But without a knowledge of the track and having to deal with yahoos and cars and everything else doesn't seem like you can really do much besides take it at sedate pace like that anyway. 8)
2015 SDR 1290 Naranja

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks for sharing - it sure does look like a nice place to spend a few days having a good time - lucky you
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:35 am

cheers guys yes it was amazing but very intimidating with the whole reputation of the nurburgring, crashes, costs involved etc and the fact your on with cars, bikes and vans! and all sorts of levels of experience. All thats in your head as your going round BUT as said it is a bucket list thing to do and highly recommend it! its an awesome piece of road. I would love to do a dedicated bike only track day there as once you start learning the course it can only get better.
Lets Ride!

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:36 am

Galleta wrote:Seems like a nice experience so you could say you did it and mark it off the bucket list. But without a knowledge of the track and having to deal with yahoos and cars and everything else doesn't seem like you can really do much besides take it at sedate pace like that anyway. 8)

it felt fast at the time haha but I am a novice
Lets Ride!

FasYankee
Minimoto racer

Postby FasYankee » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:55 pm

I have a few questions about that place as its on my bucket list.

So basically from what I understand is it's a toll road. Anyone can just roll up on anything, pay the toll and you're good to go? No tech inspection? How much is the toll? How come you pulled to the right in the beginning? Do they stage you because bike/car? Is there anywhere that there's lights that would indicate a caution ahead? Is the toll good for one lap or can you go round and round?

I've wanted to go there forever, but have never talked with anyone who has gone so sorry about the questions....

I'd like to drive it once in a car first, then I'd attack it on a bike. I'd have to rent or "test drive" :twisted: something though.....not gonna ship anything.

MaximusVR46
Two wheeled terror

Postby MaximusVR46 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:00 am

FasYankee wrote:I have a few questions about that place as its on my bucket list.

So basically from what I understand is it's a toll road. Anyone can just roll up on anything, pay the toll and you're good to go? No tech inspection? How much is the toll? How come you pulled to the right in the beginning? Do they stage you because bike/car? Is there anywhere that there's lights that would indicate a caution ahead? Is the toll good for one lap or can you go round and round?

I've wanted to go there forever, but have never talked with anyone who has gone so sorry about the questions....

I'd like to drive it once in a car first, then I'd attack it on a bike. I'd have to rent or "test drive" :twisted: something though.....not gonna ship anything.

Its not a public road its a track. There is also the GP track that F1 uses etc. The track is open at certain times to the public (Tourist Rides) so you can either pre book or just turn up on anything pay 29 Euros for 1 lap or as many laps as you can afford and go. There are no checks, briefs or inspections. They do have the dedicated track days which i would prefer.

I pulled to the right as German traffic law applies on this circuit (not sure why) but i guess its to move out of the way of experienced fast people. As in my vid even though i am going slow somtimes i'm on the "racing line" and other times i move over. Theres lots of youtube vids of people doing this and even indicating as they move over right.

They dont stage you.

Yes there are marshals around the track and you need to look out for flags. It does help if you have previous track day experience.

dont worry about the questions ask away! I have been to the ring 3 times but only ever been on the circuit for the first time this year.

As i said in another post it is very intimidating as the cost can be very high if something goes wrong. Thats the chance you take. I would prefer the bike track days as at least your on track with bikes only and like minded people.

Its somthing i have always wanted to do and was a bucket list thing for me and loved every second of it even though its pretty scary!

You can pay 300 euros to have a lap in the BMW M3 or M4 driven by a very experienced driver. Your can hire small hatchbacks there to drive yourself.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/home.html
Lets Ride!

nitro450exp
Two wheeled terror

Postby nitro450exp » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I really want to do that before I leave Europe.

Nitro
2006 KTM Super Duke LC8
2000 Honda RVT1000RR (SP1, RC51)
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
WERA # 661 (Retired)
WERA Endurance # 66 (Retired)

Merijn

Postby Merijn » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:06 pm

The Ring is indeed a public toll road when it's open for so-called tourist rides. It's a one-way toll road, without speed restrictions and German traffic laws therefore apply. So no overtaking on the right and if you get into an accident, you can be held responsible for the damage to other cars too. If you get into an accident and hit the barriers, you will be charges massively by the owner of the 'track'. As the movie shows it's a track, simple as that. It's just being used as open toll road and it's good business, charging 29 euros a lap. :-)

I have never been on the Ring with my SDR and will never do it either, but I regularly ride around in an old Renault Clio 16V, which is prepared for track use (roll-cage, bucket seats, etc). Good fun, be beware of the risks, both physically (especially on a motorcycle) and financially. It can become quite a pricey experience. And since there are a lot of 'idiots' on the track lately, who are trying to beat a non-existent world record, you might want to think twice before riding the Ring. ;)

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:20 pm

Germany's answer to deals gap but with a bit more protection if you do run off the course.

I'd like to do it some day as well!!! Thanks for posting the video!
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Return to On track