Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011 RIP

A tribute to members who are no longer with us, but will never leave our hearts and minds.
blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Re: Simoncelli rip

Postby blb » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm just totally stunned today. Simo was a true racer who died doing what he loved. He was so close to the absolute pinnacle of a MOTOGP win.

RIP no 58. God bless
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:45 pm

I am truly in shock. I didn't realise how much of a Simmo fan I had become.

In a grid dominated by politics and frankly uninspiring racing - dominated by the Factory Hondas - Simmo stood out as a shining star of raw talent, with a hunger to win, plus the modesty, character and sportsmanship to put the rest of the grid to shame. It's a tragedy that motorcycle racing has been robbed of such a talent and personality. My condolences go out to his family, friends and girlfriend - and to Rossi & Colin Edwards who much feel terrible about their unavoidable part in their friend and fellow racer's tragedy.

I feel awful. Couldn't even ride the bike today, despite the sunshine and free time. Gutted.
DUTCH

stalker
Wheelie king

Postby stalker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:48 pm

shit news . the bloke was a bit of fresh air , loved his style . rip.
The King Of Cadwell

NO LIMITS OPEN 1000CC ENDURANCE CHAMPION #6

rocketchick
Stunt rider

Postby rocketchick » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:10 pm

I sat down to watch the pre recorded race... What a tragedy, I feel sick now... I always rooted for him.
Goodbye Simoncelli...

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Location: On the banks of the River Thames with Ratty and Mole.

Postby Ducati Pete » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:19 pm

Not wanting to put people off their stroke but he WAS a factory Honda rider.

A sad loss to racing, fans of racing and above all his family and friends.
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Dutch wrote:I am truly in shock. I didn't realise how much of a Simmo fan I had become.

In a grid dominated by politics and frankly uninspiring racing - dominated by the Factory Hondas - Simmo stood out as a shining star of raw talent, with a hunger to win, plus the modesty, character and sportsmanship to put the rest of the grid to shame. It's a tragedy that motorcycle racing has been robbed of such a talent and personality. My condolences go out to his family, friends and girlfriend - and to Rossi & Colin Edwards who much feel terrible about their unavoidable part in their friend and fellow racer's tragedy.

I feel awful. Couldn't even ride the bike today, despite the sunshine and free time. Gutted.

I think a lot of people are feeling like that m8. He hadn't been around long in the big class but there seems to be a massive out pouring of feeling at his passing. Really does feel like racing lost what could have been a future champion and a massive character :(
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:40 pm

Gutted at the loss of life and not surprized at the same time. If there was one to push too hard and involve other racers this year it was Sic. The racers are lucky that his out of control behaviour did not cause more injuries than they did. Still no man wants the removal of a racer from a series to happen in this way.
Colin was the one person that wasnt messed with this year as he was too far back from the Hondas, same for Rossi. You could see Colin tried with all his might to avoid the unavoidable.
Gutted and not surprized.
I'm BLUE

Sabre
Trackday hero

Postby Sabre » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:44 pm

Watched it this morning and was smiling away watching Simoncelli and Bautista battling away then the next minute Simoncelli's down,the race red flagged.
My worst fears came true when the radio blurted out that he'd passed away a few hours later,just cannot believe this has happened,a tradgic freak accident has robbed us of a rising star.
I'm truely gutted :(

RIP Simo
If it's orange it's worth a spin !

SD R 990
XR 400

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Postby Ducati Pete » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:19 pm

After listening to the doctor deliver his statement I'm fairly sure the lad didn't suffer.

The medical team started CPR as soon as they were on the scene, that was continued for 45 minutes until they were forced to concede he was beyond help.
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Have to say he looked gone on the track and after a hit on the head that hard I'd be surprised if he didn't die instantly. The reports of him being conscious in the Medical Centre must have been wrong.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

trackday junkie
Two wheeled terror

Postby trackday junkie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 pm

IMO- Sic was trying save it. It looked like He'd managed to get the front to hook. It looked to me like he just refused to crash. We've lost ...
Ask not for whom the bell tolls
RIP
"never encountered something I couldn't take apart-been a few I couldn't get back together"

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Dutch wrote:I am truly in shock. I didn't realise how much of a Simmo fan I had become.

You take the words right out of my mouth. A great talent with an almost oldschool mentality for battles.

He will be missed... :(
||====
||====
||
||

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:50 pm

I'm not religious at all but I'd like to think that upstairs he did safe it from crashing and had the greatest race of his life...
||====
||====
||
||

omky756
Wheelie king

Postby omky756 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm

I'm totally at a loss for words..I always enjoyed looking for him up with the front runners and on the podium..He had so much going for him and his future..I've been sitting here feeling like I've lost a friend..R.I.P Marco...You will be sorely missed ....

MADDOG53
Race ace

Postby MADDOG53 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:13 pm

omky756 wrote:I'm totally at a loss for words..I always enjoyed looking for him up with the front runners and on the podium..He had so much going for him and his future..I've been sitting here feeling like I've lost a friend..R.I.P Marco...You will be sorely missed ....

#1 on that,,,,,,,
BLACK is BACK

cjmaloney
Two wheeled terror

Postby cjmaloney » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:37 am

CEREC1 wrote:
PK1 wrote:Its on you tube posted bye thaithaithaiable's looks horrible his helmet comes off!
cant understand how?
R.I.P Marco

Truly shit news. What a loss to everyone. You have to wonder if that hairstyle contributed to the helmet coming off. :idea:

Mmmm interesting theory, to me it looked like rossi's front wheel may have hit the back of his neck under the helmet causing it to come off, saw it live when they showed him lying on the track with no helmet on I thought the worst, extremely sad for his family and friends.

johnpav
Two wheeled terror

Re: simoncelli RIP

Postby johnpav » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:44 am

Massive loss to GP and to us all RIP
John
KTM Superduke 'Fast' Orange

Acceleration is everything (Speed is a side effect)!

turnip
Two wheeled terror

Postby turnip » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:33 am

This is such dreadful news. Very sad day. MotoGP will suffer greatly for it. Still kinda curious how his helmet came off.
:(

turnip
Two wheeled terror

Postby turnip » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Simoncelli quotes from current Fast Bikes mag interview which sum up the man for me:
The support of the fans is very important to me, in fact in the Italian races with a lot of my fans in the crowd I always seem to manage to give something more. Sometimes too much...

When I see an opportunity to overtake I decide to go, no thinking, just go! MotoGP is too close to think about overtakes. If you think you miss the chance.

I shall miss his character and personality.

Ducati Pete
Race ace

Postby Ducati Pete » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:30 pm

cjmaloney wrote:
Mmmm interesting theory, to me it looked like rossi's front wheel may have hit the back of his neck under the helmet causing it to come off, saw it live when they showed him lying on the track with no helmet on I thought the worst, extremely sad for his family and friends.

I'm pretty sure the chin strap broke, going on pictures I've seen.

I've seen a front view pic of Rossi's bike going over poor Marco.

Great speed, a lot of mass.

Quite simply, helmet comes off or his head does,
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:22 pm

This is the shot where you realise he did had not have a chance what so ever.......horrific

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ds-newsxml
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

turnip
Two wheeled terror

Postby turnip » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Stratkat
Trackday hero

Postby Stratkat » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:18 pm

turnip wrote:This is such dreadful news. Very sad day. MotoGP will suffer greatly for it. Still kinda curious how his helmet came off.
:(

helmets are designed for impact protection not crushing force. its was a freaky accident very abnormal. very sad...

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:24 pm

A great loss to the sport but just awful for friends and family.

I wonder if Edwards will race again. He is a hard man but running over a friend is something else altogether. Not his fault obviously but some things are hard to get out of your head.

From what I saw I think he would have been killed instantly so at least he didn't suffer. I wonder is helmet chin straps are made to fail at a critical load. Thinking about it the strap needs to be the weaker link when compared to the neck!

RIP and thanks for the thrills along the way.
Recovering superbike addict

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:27 pm

A great loss to the sport but just awful for friends and family.

I wonder if Edwards will race again. He is a hard man but running over a friend is something else altogether. Not his fault obviously but some things are hard to get out of your head.

From what I saw I think he would have been killed instantly so at least he didn't suffer. I wonder is helmet chin straps are made to fail at a critical load. Thinking about it the strap needs to be the weaker link when compared to the neck!

RIP and thanks for the thrills along the way.
Recovering superbike addict

PreviousNext

Return to Gone but never forgotten