Dr F Memorial Ride - 12th July

A tribute to members who are no longer with us, but will never leave our hearts and minds.
Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:19 am

Looks like I've got a Christening to go to now so won't be able to make it after all, I will go for a ride somewhere though in tribute to the Dr.
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:09 pm

BigTobyD wrote:Plipton, I'll be riding up from West Sussex, not too far from Goodwood if that'll help tempt ya? :D

Toby,

We're going to ride up on Friday to break up the journey a bit, and stay in a travel inn in the midlands on Friday night. You are more than welcome to join us.

Cheers
Rick
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:35 pm

plipton wrote:
BigTobyD wrote:Plipton, I'll be riding up from West Sussex, not too far from Goodwood if that'll help tempt ya? :D

Toby,

We're going to ride up on Friday to break up the journey a bit, and stay in a travel inn in the midlands on Friday night. You are more than welcome to join us.

Cheers
Rick

One of THOSE kind of parties eh? Sounds like a plan, what sort of time would you be leaving on the Friday though? I'll be stuck in work in Hove until about 4pm.....
One word.......ORANGE!

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:36 pm

plipton wrote:

Toby,

Cheers
Rick

One of THOSE kind of parties eh? Sounds like a plan, what sort of time would you be leaving on the Friday though? I'll be stuck in work in Hove until about 4pm.....
One word.......ORANGE!

Dutch
Trackday hero

Postby Dutch » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:03 pm

Posted this on the UK KTM Forum. There are a few SD riders on there, and he did come on the forum a few times.

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:54 pm

well done that man

C'mon fellas. Toby's riding up 300 miles from West Sussex and I'm riding up 350 miles from Weymouth for this. It'll be a good ride out on some ace roads culminating with a visit to Squires Cafe.

Last chance to pay your respects to Tony and meet some of his mates.

Be there if you possibly can!!
Current fleet... 1972 Kawasaki H1D 500 triple, 1976 Suzuki RE5 rotary, 1976 Kawasaki KH500, 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 (don't ask!), 1954 Beetle, a big white van and a shopping/commuting 4 wheeled device.

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 pm

This is the proposed route (more or less) taking in some great roads and avoiding MWays where possible. All in about a 5 1/2 hour ride. Start time about 10AM at Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale finishing at Squires Cafe around 4 (allowing for petrol stops)

madden
Minimoto racer

Postby madden » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:54 pm

plipton wrote:This is the proposed route (more or less) taking in some great roads and avoiding MWays where possible. All in about a 5 1/2 hour ride. Start time about 10AM at Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale finishing at Squires Cafe around 4 (allowing for petrol stops)

plipton i wud like to join as the proposed route goes passed my house in the lakes the fine village of kirkoswald its next to lazonby on your map.
cheers mike.
06 SD black the best colour

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:48 am

Ok so thats four of us going to honour the good Dr with 2 maybe's injury permitting, Is that the best we can do? seriously? :(

Having spoken to some of Tony's mates of which there are a few coming this is going to be a really good day check out the route on google it's awsome!

Come on guys make some effort, please. :)

doc franco
Two wheeled terror

Postby doc franco » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:30 am

Great route you`ve chosen for Dr F`s memorial ride---these are my local roads and probably the best in England. Word of warning though from a local-they are heavily policed at weekends especially--more on the Cumbrian side than the Durham one. Take special care between Penrith and Alston on the A686--Cumbria police use unmarked Imprezas/Evos and both Durham+ Cumbria have marked and unmarked bikes.There was a recent blitz on loud cans and small number plates as well . Having said that Durham police are very reasonable and biker-friendly(more than you can say for most UK forces.....)--they have a "yellowcard" warning system rather than handing out points automatically and there are no fixed "revenue" cameras in Co.Durham. North Yorks police don`t like any speeding or what they term excessive exhaust noise at all so watch it on the A6108 and elsewhere in the Yorks Dales. Stick rigidly to speed limits in built-up areas and avoid wheelies and the like and you`re generally OK. Don`t let this put a damper on things and enjoy yourselves. Let me know if you need any other local advice.

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:35 pm

doc franco wrote:Great route you`ve chosen for Dr F`s memorial ride---these are my local roads and probably the best in England. Word of warning though from a local-they are heavily policed at weekends especially--more on the Cumbrian side than the Durham one. Take special care between Penrith and Alston on the A686--Cumbria police use unmarked Imprezas/Evos and both Durham+ Cumbria have marked and unmarked bikes.There was a recent blitz on loud cans and small number plates as well . Having said that Durham police are very reasonable and biker-friendly(more than you can say for most UK forces.....)--they have a "yellowcard" warning system rather than handing out points automatically and there are no fixed "revenue" cameras in Co.Durham. North Yorks police don`t like any speeding or what they term excessive exhaust noise at all so watch it on the A6108 and elsewhere in the Yorks Dales. Stick rigidly to speed limits in built-up areas and avoid wheelies and the like and you`re generally OK. Don`t let this put a damper on things and enjoy yourselves. Let me know if you need any other local advice.

Does that mean your going to pop down too then? :D

doc franco
Two wheeled terror

Postby doc franco » Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:35 pm

Unfortunately highly unlikely as my brothers decided to get married and wants me there (St Lucia) the day before the ride so can`t see me back in time ---or in a fit state. Will keep in touch though--he may bottle out--he`s done it before!!!!!

baggieman
Trackday hero

Location: Frimley Green, Surrey. Namby pamby, shandy drinking area but thankfully it's a long way from Leeds.

Postby baggieman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:49 pm

Dan

Still hopeful, ankle in pinned and plated, if my consultant ok's the physio and I get some mobility back into my gear change foot, count me in. :)

I would hopefully tag onto Rick and Toby's route at some point :)
Past - Puch Maxi, FS1E, 250N Superdream, RD250E, RD250F, RD400, RD350YPVS, RD350N, DT175, XJ650, Z1100R, R1100S, 1150GS, 06SD, K1300R 09SD
Present - 1290R

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:54 pm

baggieman wrote:Dan

Still hopeful, ankle in pinned and plated, if my consultant ok's the physio and I get some mobility back into my gear change foot, count me in. :)

I would hopefully tag onto Rick and Toby's route at some point :)

8) nice one Baggieman, I may be doing the same depending on where they stay and the route they take to the RV point :wink:

weeksy
Master of the twisties

Postby weeksy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:06 pm

I'm going to discuss with the lads cancelling the trackday we have planned at ANglesey for this day, or possibly moving it to the Sunday (which the Trackday company also have) so i can make this.

it might mean a lot of changing of their holidays in work and the B&B we've booked already at Anglesey, but i really feel i should be at this one.
Current : 2008 SDR

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:02 pm

weeksy wrote:I'm going to discuss with the lads cancelling the trackday we have planned at ANglesey for this day, or possibly moving it to the Sunday (which the Trackday company also have) so i can make this.

it might mean a lot of changing of their holidays in work and the B&B we've booked already at Anglesey, but i really feel i should be at this one.

It would be great if you could make it, as im sure the others would concur. :wink:

I appreciate the hassle factor though :(

Benters
Minimoto racer

Postby Benters » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:50 am

I will be at Devil’s Bridge just before 10am, on Saturday 12th July. You will recognise me, because I will be astride my SuperDuke. Actually, it’s more likely I’ll be scoffing a bacon buttty or returning from the loo, but I’ll be there.

Superdan
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby Superdan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:08 am

Benters wrote:I will be at Devil’s Bridge just before 10am, on Saturday 12th July. You will recognise me, because I will be astride my SuperDuke. Actually, it’s more likely I’ll be scoffing a bacon buttty or returning from the loo, but I’ll be there.

Nice 8) , any more SD riders in the cool gang?

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:54 pm

stay safe

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:26 pm

Gents, really sorry to say that I'm not going to be able to this now. Feel terrible as I suggested in the first place! I'm having some domestic problems that need to get sorted out and will prevent me from getting away. I'll be having to remember Dr F on my lonesome instead.

Once again, sorry to set this up and then bail out, I wouldn't if there was an alternative. :cry:
One word.......ORANGE!

Skavitch
Two wheeled terror

Postby Skavitch » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm

BigTobyD wrote:Gents, really sorry to say that I'm not going to be able to this now. Feel terrible as I suggested in the first place! I'm having some domestic problems that need to get sorted out and will prevent me from getting away. I'll be having to remember Dr F on my lonesome instead.

Once again, sorry to set this up and then bail out, I wouldn't if there was an alternative. :cry:

Gay, gay, gay, gay, gay!
"Charlie, me in the back of the motor with my asthma?"

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:36 pm

Life would be a damned sight easier if I was :lol:
One word.......ORANGE!

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider

Postby jehadjoe » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:20 pm

yep.... making babies is hard work mate!

joe feels blessed, Tony's Brother Michael, posted his thanks up against me in the forum. 8)

Plipton
Master of the twisties

Postby Plipton » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:51 pm

Toby,

Let's organise a southern ride out....same time, same day. The thought of a 16 hour round trip on an SDR with a rock hard seat and a mad dash for a ferry straight afterwards is probably going to be too much to handle (especially at the end of a biking week with 3 track days included).

OK you boys and girls living dahn saaarff. How about it? Meet up somewhere like Virginia Waters and go from there?

BigTobyD
Trackday hero

Postby BigTobyD » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:36 pm

I'll be able to escape for a few hours that weekend for sure. I'll repost this in the rideouts section too, see if there are any others who could be persuaded.
One word.......ORANGE!

PreviousNext

Return to Gone but never forgotten