2011 KTM 1198 RC8 R

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
Lowrance
Trackday hero

Re: 2011 KTM 1198 RC8 R

Postby Lowrance » Thu May 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Vortex155 wrote:
Joker wrote:Hello RC8 R owners! I have a -06 SD and I'm looking for a new bike. The RC8 R looks very tempting, but the ergonomics puzzle me. The test bike I rode had the clip-ons in the "normal" setting and the rear seat in its upper position. That stance was too racy for me for every day use. I use the SD for commuting also so I want a bike with good ergos.
So the question is, when you set the RC8 clip-ons and seat + footpegs to their most ergonomic position, how comfy is it in comparison to the SD?
Everything else about the bike (throttle included) is just so fantastic... :D

I have my footpegs in middle position,clipons in low and seat in normal low position, I'm 1m80 and bike feels very fine to me.
seat in high position brings the bike off balance imo, to much weight on front.

Middle position? Thought there were only 2 positions.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Thu May 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Joker wrote:Hello RC8 R owners! I have a -06 SD and I'm looking for a new bike. The RC8 R looks very tempting, but the ergonomics puzzle me. The test bike I rode had the clip-ons in the "normal" setting and the rear seat in its upper position. That stance was too racy for me for every day use. I use the SD for commuting also so I want a bike with good ergos.
So the question is, when you set the RC8 clip-ons and seat + footpegs to their most ergonomic position, how comfy is it in comparison to the SD?
Everything else about the bike (throttle included) is just so fantastic... :D

If its ergo for commuting you want - just keep the SD (or get a newer one). Forget any full-on, fully-faired sportbike with clips bike. Not saying the ergos can't be modified, but why hassle with it? Seriously, in Finland, how many months (or weeks ...) are we talking about commuting on it for annually? Is there really that much open road in Finland ... and they way speeding fines are done - it can bankrupt you, no?

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Fri May 11, 2012 5:29 am

Just by using the adjustment that the RC8 comes with standard (Bar height, seat height, rear ride height and Footrest mounting height you can change the RC8 from track day to near enough the same riding position as a SD.....with NO additional parts required :shock: :wink:
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

Joker
Minimoto racer

Postby Joker » Fri May 11, 2012 6:51 am

If its ergo for commuting you want - just keep the SD (or get a newer one). Forget any full-on, fully-faired sportbike with clips bike. Not saying the ergos can't be modified, but why hassle with it? Seriously, in Finland, how many months (or weeks ...) are we talking about commuting on it for annually? Is there really that much open road in Finland ... and they way speeding fines are done - it can bankrupt you, no?

I commute about four months, but I do trackdays and B-road trashing mostly. So comfy ergos are important, but not the only criteria for the bike. The SD tends to shake it's nose a bit at higher speeds (and I have a steering damper) and lacks the wind protection of a fully-faired bike. So the RC8R could be a winner. I came to the SD from a Honda CBR and I dont want to go back that road.
Speeding fines are truly insane here, so to blow of steam the track (or other closed area) is a must. :twisted:

Just by using the adjustment that the RC8 comes with standard (Bar height, seat height, rear ride height and Footrest mounting height you can change the RC8 from track day to near enough the same riding position as a SD.....with NO additional parts required

This sounds very good indeed! And the way you can truly transform the same bike to suit both track and road is very tempting.

Thanks guys! :)

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Fri May 18, 2012 2:40 am

Just found this awesome pic on the 'net that I thought I'd share.

05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

Previous

Return to RC8(R)