Those with an RC8

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
liltuffgirl
Minimoto racer

Those with an RC8

Postby liltuffgirl » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:48 pm

oddly enough this is the only forum that i've seen multiple RC8 owners on...

Have any of you in the states had an issue with your RC8 randomly stalling out? I talk to the guys in the UK and very few have had the problem but solve it by doing the 15 min reset.

Anyone else out there had any issues?

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:04 pm

There are a couple of other RC8 owners on here that I know of. Not heard it mentioned on here but it is a SD forum I guess. Hope you get some useful info and solve the bike issue.

Probably a stupid question but you have tried the KTM Forum right?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

liltuffgirl
Minimoto racer

Postby liltuffgirl » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:00 pm

KTM talk has like 2 RC8 owners that i've ever seen post. And then whatever other KTM forum i'm on just put up and RC8 section and.. well.. I'm the only one that has ever posted in it.

samba
Trackday hero

Postby samba » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:27 am

he means www.ktmforum.co.uk

it's very busy on there, if no-one here can help you, someone there can for sure
bbbbrrrrrmmmmmm......brrrmmmmmm.....nnnyyyyymmmmmmmmm

liltuffgirl
Minimoto racer

Postby liltuffgirl » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:50 pm

yea i'm on there and they all said to burn the bike lol

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:15 pm

liltuffgirl wrote:yea i'm on there and they all said to burn the bike lol

Nice helpful info then :lol: :lol: See there is the difference between the KTM Forum and SD.net. Ruffians over there, where as there's a touch of class about members over here.... Not that that helps with your predicament of course :?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

gringo
Two wheeled terror

Postby gringo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:09 am

i had a sd but now have the rc8. mine has done it when riding through town and when you pull in the clutch for coming to a standstill or traffic lights sometimes she dies. just seems like the tickover needs to be a tad higher.

may try the reset see if that does anything.
make mine a ktm

Jody
Wheelie king

Postby Jody » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:23 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:

Nice helpful info then :lol: :lol: See there is the difference between the KTM Forum and SD.net. Ruffians over there, where as there's a touch of class about members over here.... Not that that helps with your predicament of course :?

your wasting your time dude she's married ! :p
Superduke.net King of Cadwell 2010 + 2011 !! (deposed)

I'm not the king any more but as you can see, I've still got it !

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:25 pm

It followed me home!!!

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:29 pm

no stalling issues yet

2bigalow
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2bigalow » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:48 am

chris2 wrote:It followed me home!!!

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Government is not the solution to the problem, Government is the problem. Ronald Reagan

Chicky
Two wheeled terror

Postby Chicky » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:44 am

2bigalow wrote:
chris2 wrote:It followed me home!!!

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can we keep him?!

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:23 pm

it goes 176.5 according to GPS. Pulls good straight into the limiter in 6th. cant wait to put the Club Race goodies on

liltuffgirl
Minimoto racer

Postby liltuffgirl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 pm

I had two KTMs follow me home! Too bad the dirt bike was for my boss

liltuffgirl
Minimoto racer

Postby liltuffgirl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:05 pm

oh the bike is at the ktm shop i work for..
adjusting the tps and hoping for the best

chris2
Two wheeled terror

Postby chris2 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Which shop do you work for?

boysie
Two wheeled terror

Postby boysie » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:47 pm

That's not correct is it? You where given advice and chose to go your own route.....
Is hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

10 RC8
10 Scott Scale RC -]

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Re: Those with an RC8

Postby Vortex155 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:19 pm

liltuffgirl wrote:oddly enough this is the only forum that i've seen multiple RC8 owners on...

Have any of you in the states had an issue with your RC8 randomly stalling out? I talk to the guys in the UK and very few have had the problem but solve it by doing the 15 min reset.

Anyone else out there had any issues?

Had a lots of trouble with it when I just owned the bike, even crashed it already when it stalled on a very unfortunate moment entering a corner 2 late for clutch.
It occasional happens mostly when traffic is slow, RC8's are no fun riding true highly populated area's.
Think the guys in UK don't drive that much...because if you do enough millage you run into the odd stall.
I sure hope to wipe that problem to kingdom come when I get 'round with ECU TUNE. My guess the only solution is to make it more smooth.

Lots of users sell the RC8 within a year, only those die hards and them who feel chosen continue their efforts..until the bike decide to end all efforts and stall again when you less expect it.

Best thing is first of all get the RC8R airbox update mod 2010....now this is a strange thing within KTM Europe, In UK this is done under warranty in my country you'll have to pay 150€ for it.
Not nice at all.

Some times I regret I didn't buy an S1000R...I like the RC8 , but KTM doesn't support their customers much and that makes life hard as n enduser. They could easily fix that problems. I own my RC8 now for 10months done 10000km's I had my share of problems with it.
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:26 pm

This is mines btw...

pic taken @ my works moto parking area in wintertime
I use the bridgestone track rains in wintertime, it's a thin line between win or lose it in wintertime :roll:
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Re:

Postby Vortex155 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:53 pm

samba wrote:he means http://www.ktmforum.co.uk

it's very busy on there, if no-one here can help you, someone there can for sure

Sometimes its more like a pub, a lot of jokes 'round and most of the times I have a LOL moment.
Didn't find many solutions to technical issues...and there are enough on the RC8 I dare to say.
But found the occasional help here to be honest when you push forward.

Maybe Superdukers are more technical kind of types? dunno?

So there is some diff. between SD and RC8 riders :wink:
Vortex155 on twitter

Twisted Jester
Race ace

Postby Twisted Jester » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:57 pm

I didn't know which way I swang so i bought both :lol:
Longest ride on one wheel, 8 miles....

....if only I could do it on my SD.

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 pm

IHave made a decision yesterday. Decided to let KTM fix that stalling issue on the RC8 instead of fidling with Tune Ecu myself. Don't wanna risk losing waranty, still have another year to go.
Contact my lawyer and he'l write a sharp letter to KTM that they are neglicting my problem for 6months now. This morning in the rain I had.several unexpected stalls, this is becoming more and more often.
The pleasure of riding the RC is gone, I've done 9000 in 7months but it could have been more. Recieved notice that the injection on the 2009 is updated but that KTM is unwilling to implementend that update on the 2008
Dunno this is correct?
Vortex155 on twitter

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:36 am

Some tips. I don't know the RC8 but I know electrics. If the RC8 is anything like the SD check for water ingress in the connectors, clean out and lube with dielectric grease. This solves HEAPS of issues. I know the electrics are diffrent due to can bus system on the RC8 but the moisture problem is the same.
Also some KTM run so rich out of the factory they just like to stall on take off as due to this there is no torque available.
If noone can find the issue take it to a dyno and get a reading or tune, this might clear up things.
Another one is a faulty sensor somewhere, with tuneecu you can test some, a competent mechanic might know about the issues.

The nice thing about tuneecu is that you can save your original map and then fiddle with things, if there are warranty issues just reload the original map back in and nobody will ever know. There is no way a dealer can see this if original map is in.

Further the RC8 has similar setup to SD regarding emmisions, like SAS, O2 sensors and so on. With tuneecu you can flick that off and see if it makes any difference as these things play havoc with fuelling. In the Akra map KTM switches them off for a good reason.

Good luck! Hope you have a good dealer mechanic as some of these faults are hard to track.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Re:

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:03 am

gringo wrote:i had a sd but now have the rc8. mine has done it when riding through town and when you pull in the clutch for coming to a standstill or traffic lights sometimes she dies. just seems like the tickover needs to be a tad higher.

may try the reset see if that does anything.

i bet your tps is just a lil out... as that talks directly to your idle speed controller.

had the same issue on the sd when i was able to get 100%TPs, is showed 4% at idle when it should show 0%

because it wash showing 4% the idle speed controller would not kick in at idle causing it to stall
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:47 pm

A couple of weeks ago I fitted a progressive throttle on my RC8, adjusted the slack of the gas cables and guess what the problem's gone, so it could have been the TPS that was out of line with actual throttle position.
Bike goes in for service in a week or 2, shall ask them to look into the problem.
Vortex155 on twitter

Next

Return to RC8(R)