Gear Indicator on the RC8

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Gear Indicator on the RC8

Postby Vortex155 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Just fitted a healtech Gipro gear indicator, after several attempts first with a starlane engear with no indication where to connect those 6 wires of the indicator upon the wiring of the RC8. A second attempt with a nameless one that counts the gear pedal changes via magnetic sensors.
Finally managed to fit one. Was dead easy actually with this one, the wiring harnas plugs in upon the original connector and you have to connect one cable behind the dash with a fast connector.

Here are some pix, so you known where you've have to search if you go into this yourself.

search for this connector, this is the speed sensor, neutral & first gear connector

This is the Gipro RC8 wiring cable that comes with the package

Plug it in

Search for the black brown wire behind the dash connector, this is the tacho sensor wire

Attach the Gipro, I've put mines next to the dash, maybe I chance position afterwards

Dress the bike up again
:mrgreen:

Was running the bike on the rear paddock stand to learn its gear position...when my eye fell upon the text...if your bike has a front wheel speed sensor and the RC8 has one...just hit the road prefered a long straight...and ride the indicator will learn all positions itself.
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Re: Gear Indicator on the RC8

Postby Vortex155 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:24 pm

Found some time to ride today, I went for a long straight...freeway, parked it plugged the gipro in and just hit the road,the thing learns itself, works really well actually. :D Only can recommend this tool.
Vortex155 on twitter

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:08 pm

I could do with one, friend of mine has one fitted on his SD and RC8. Might get one before Donington bank holiday Monday...

Nice guide by the way!
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 am

Marc forgot to mention that this black-brown wire got to be attached to the seperate wire that sits upon the Gipro cable loom, this is done by a fast-connector ( don't know the right name of it in english :oops: )

That black-brown is the tach rpm signal.
Vortex155 on twitter

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 am

I have one fitted and it's a great addition for riding - but only really to let you know that you're in top gear so you don't keep on trying to change up.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:23 am

I reckon its also usefull when you gear down on trac to know in which gear you are before you wack open the trottle, don't wanna risk highsiding when flat out in first gear, just saying.
Vortex155 on twitter

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:21 pm

was very usefull on last trackday, short stop&go track, first time on this one with the GI, and sure helped to get faster round
one thing, the countback is 2 slo, it communicates with the gear lever for calcuating the indicated gear, so a good setup is needed.
Vortex155 on twitter

Return to RC8(R)