2012 rc8r test ride

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
tripoddave
Wheelie king

Re: 2012 rc8r test ride

Postby tripoddave » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:06 pm

fuel wrote:
tripoddave wrote:I am told it is 106 with the db killer IN and 112 with it out.
Loud pipes save lives.

No quite days at Donny for you then :mrgreen:

I guess not!
Although I've always got in with the db killers in on the evo system on the SD.
fbsr: Sticky Side Down
PIN IT. NAIL IT. BRAKE! BRAKE! SQUEEZE EVERYTHING YOU CAN!

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:33 am

The under belly Akrapovics KTM RC8/RC8R 69005907000 are Loud.....but I understand that failing sound checks is more to do with the positioning of the sound meter ...as you can get significant reflected noise from the track /Ground and so get stupid high readings

The other Akrapovic full system for RC8 KTM RC8/RC8R 69105907100 (pipe up each side) and is just plain painfull.......
I saw the light...............and it was .....................Orange

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 am

Maybe leaning the bike over so the exhaust exit is pointing up might help at noise testing.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:01 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Maybe leaning the bike over so the exhaust exit is pointing up might help at noise testing.

It's the ride by at Donington isn't it? Maybe I could get away with it by short shifting down the s/f straight and staying to the rhs as far away from the meter as possible. Or is that just wishful thinking?

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:41 am

Definitely wishful thinking i'm afraid Dave. There was a guy there last year on the same bike same exhaust, he was repeatedly black flagged and went home at lunch. The baffle guys tried to fashion a baffle to go in his baffle! Still no joy and the baffle was grinding into the tarmac.

Play safe and leave your standard one on, change it for Almeria. I don't think you'll get through any uk tracks even if its 106 baffled. Sorry :(
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:16 am

Does anyone have a pic of the baffle??
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:23 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Does anyone have a pic of the baffle??

Here you are....not exactly big is it ......

http://az79640.vo.msecnd.net/akrapovicb ... c86821.pdf

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:28 am

I'm convinced a better baffle could be made. Its just a reducer, there is nothing across the internal end to break up the sound waves. I'd seriously look into getting a baffle made by someone who really knows what they are doing. Mark Hill Exhausts is now part of Seton Tuning. He knows what he's doing.
The late Bill Hicks

KTM666
Trackday hero

Postby KTM666 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:41 am

I'm convinced a better baffle could be made. Its just a reducer, there is nothing across the internal end to break up the sound waves. I'd seriously look into getting a baffle made by someone who really knows what they are doing. Mark Hill Exhausts is now part of Seton Tuning. He knows what he's doing.

I have a set of these that I use as a half way house between No Baffle and Baffles in

They do reduce the dBA levels ......but no where near as much as a set of conventional baffles ...so as said plenty of Scope

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:05 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:I'm convinced a better baffle could be made. Its just a reducer, there is nothing across the internal end to break up the sound waves. I'd seriously look into getting a baffle made by someone who really knows what they are doing. Mark Hill Exhausts is now part of Seton Tuning. He knows what he's doing.

What's the point though :?:
The system prob won't make that much more power and if you strangle it with a baffle you achieve nothing :idea:
It might weigh a bit less but all seems a bit complicated :roll:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:19 pm

You aren't strangling it. You are affecting the sound waves. I'm not going to pretend to understand it because I don't but baffles come in all kinds of designs. My Evo ones are similar to this and when I spoke to Parkitt about them as I was struggling at Snett they said I should speak to someone like Mark Hill as he can make a baffle that won't really affect performance anymore than my baffle but will reduce the Db further.
The late Bill Hicks

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Postby CEREC1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:17 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:You aren't strangling it. You are affecting the sound waves. I'm not going to pretend to understand it because I don't but baffles come in all kinds of designs. My Evo ones are similar to this and when I spoke to Parkitt about them as I was struggling at Snett they said I should speak to someone like Mark Hill as he can make a baffle that won't really affect performance anymore than my baffle but will reduce the Db further.

I bow to your knowledge sir :mrgreen:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:59 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:You aren't strangling it. You are affecting the sound waves. I'm not going to pretend to understand it because I don't but baffles come in all kinds of designs. My Evo ones are similar to this and when I spoke to Parkitt about them as I was struggling at Snett they said I should speak to someone like Mark Hill as he can make a baffle that won't really affect performance anymore than my baffle but will reduce the Db further.

Excellent! Thanks very much: I'll give it a go.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:14 am

tripoddave wrote:

Excellent! Thanks very much: I'll give it a go.

Make your own, use this stuff top part of the picture. Works realy well without becomming restrictive.
The little cups "push" the soundwave and gasses in to the packing material.
Get a bit from any exhaust place, they have different sizes.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

weeksy
Master of the twisties

Postby weeksy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:26 am

MArk Hill recently built baffles for my mates MV Agusta 312RR running a full Zard system.

It was then re-mapped by Xbikes . There was very very little difference in the bike pre and post baffle.
Current : 1999 Yamaha R1, 2005 Yamaha R1.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:03 am

weeksy wrote:MArk Hill recently built baffles for my mates MV Agusta 312RR running a full Zard system.

It was then re-mapped by Xbikes . There was very very little difference in the bike pre and post baffle.

In noise or power?
The late Bill Hicks

weeksy
Master of the twisties

Postby weeksy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:42 am

Colonel_Klinck wrote:
weeksy wrote:MArk Hill recently built baffles for my mates MV Agusta 312RR running a full Zard system.

In noise or power?

Power, it was fine on noise. He couldn't get past pretty much any noise testing with the Zards, even 105 was unrealistic mostly. I think he got a 103db last week at Rocki.

Amazingly, My Evo's with baffles in were 98 !!!!
Current : 1999 Yamaha R1, 2005 Yamaha R1.

tripoddave
Wheelie king

Postby tripoddave » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Spoke to Mark at MHP.
It turns out the exhaust is an EVO4 not a 6 which is a relief.
The EVO4 is 102dBA and does not come with a removable baffle.
Mark does an insert for the EVO4 for quiet days so we are good to go.

Going over to Projex tomorrow to fit my Gilles Variobars and get a base dyno reading. Sweet.

Previous

Return to RC8(R)