New RC8 / Old SD and SDR owner

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
Stupid Luke
Master of the twisties

New RC8 / Old SD and SDR owner

Postby Stupid Luke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:04 pm

Just to keep this subsection alive I thought I would mention I now have an RC8 beside the SDR in my garage.

It is the original 2008 model (in Orange, if that matters to you) has done 4000 miles and came with a full Akra system, RC8R cartridge kit in the forks, lighter rear spring, GB Racing crash protection and some other bits of bling. More importantly it has been properly set up and Tune ECU'd by the previous owner, Twisted Jester so no snatch, throttle lag, gearbox gremlins blah blah blah.

It does seem to have a raging thirst for coolant despite being returned under warranty for water pump seal replacement. Otherwise, no issues to report as yet.

I have set it up the opposite to how I got it: binned the reverse shift, bars to their highest setting, rear subframe and footpegs to their lowest setting. It doesnt feel quite like a Superduke to ride but it is less extreme than a sportsbike now, which is important for those of us in our twilight years.

I have only ridden it 100 miles or so, plan to do the same again tomorrow, so like it but dont love it yet. It is noticeably faster and more torquey that the SDR and copes with the B roads I ride like a twist and go scooter = 3rd gear for everything. I get the feeling it is quite fast in a relaxed sort of way so I really need to get it on some faster roads abroad to find out.

After riding nothing but SD's for the last few years it does make hanging off and gibbon style kneedowns ridiculously easy but it also feels like you are hardwired to the front end, which is both good and bad once you are comfortable riding an SD. Not toot sure about the Pilot Pures it came with, they are new tyres but I have already had one instance of the rear trying to overtake the front. Due to the speed and lack of warning I got I thought it was something slippery on the bend but neither of the guys following me had any issues. Time will tell.

Was planning to keep it pretty standard but I am already missing my HM Quickshifter and STM slipper clutch, both of which I thought unecessary when I got them fitted to the SDR, so I guess there will be a few spontaneous purchases on my horizon before Christmas.

CEREC1
Trackday hero

Re: New RC8 / Old SD and SDR owner

Postby CEREC1 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Just put some Dunlop Sportsmarts on my RC8. Feel great straight off. Pirellis were good as long as it was bone dry, otherwise :| :roll:
2007 SDR Full Akra Evo
2017 SDR 1290. Black
1997 RGV 250(sweet)

Stupid Luke
Master of the twisties

Postby Stupid Luke » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:41 pm

CEREC1 wrote:Just put some Dunlop Sportsmarts on my RC8. Feel great straight off. Pirellis were good as long as it was bone dry, otherwise :| :roll:

I agree. I have Sportsmarts on the SDR, ran them in in torrential rain / flood conditions and cannot fault them. I am a lifelong Dunlop hater but the Sportsmarts are fantastic so far.

lobster
Wheelie king

Postby lobster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:11 am

I'm very unfussy about tyres, but even I could tell the difference when I fitted Mezeler M5's to the RC8. They really are griptastic wet or dry.
If you can't join em, beat em!

Return to RC8(R)