FUEL CAP LEAKING FUEL

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
THEDUKE
Two wheeled terror

FUEL CAP LEAKING FUEL

Postby THEDUKE » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am

Morning lads,

my rc8 2008 has started leaking fuel out of the top of the tank through the cap under hard acceleration and hard breaking when its filled more than 2/3 full. its a pain in the arse when your riding along and fuels going everywhere.

anyone come across this or knows how to fix it? rang ktm there trying to sell me a full new fuel cap assembly for £217 and ktm in Austria dont have it in stock.

tom
All things being equal...Fat people use more soap!

MADDOG53
Race ace

Re: FUEL CAP LEAKING FUEL

Postby MADDOG53 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:06 am

Aftermarket cap,,,,,,,
BLACK is BACK

dougle
Two wheeled terror

Postby dougle » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 pm

Can anyone recommend an aftermarket cap, with a lock? Mine leaks fuel into the lock and needs constant oiling else the pins don't budge. Ideally one i can get made to use the ignition key as normal, possible?
'05 SuperDuke <- my first twin *grin*
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dougle

Hui
Minimoto racer

Postby Hui » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:51 am

I know this is an old thread but thought my fix could be of some use to somebody.

My sons fuel cap was leaking after filling up, it then got a bit worse and leaked pretty much all the time. I read somewhere that the common problem was a warped fuel tank which twisted the cap seat. Anyway, this did not seem to be the case here.
When closing the cap it made a hard noise like plastic to metal with no spongy bit. I removed the rubber sealing ring and made a thin shim out of the lid of a paint aerosol using the rubber as a template, there is two types, one being hard and brittle and the other more flexible. Use the flexible one.
Cutting the new shim across one side makes it easy to fit behind the metal shim left on the cap, lube the OE rubber ring and re-fit to cap.
When closing the cap now there is a slight resistance, a wee push down and the key clicks round into place just like it does on my SDR.

I've had thinners in these aerosol caps for cleaning little brushes etc. so I reckon petrol won't be an issue, even if it needs replaced now and then it's only a five minute job.
I thought I could make it even better and fit two shims, don't waste your time as there isn't room for it and impossible to close the cap.

He's done a couple of track-days at Knockhill, giving it full tilt on a full tank and no signs of a leak.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:57 am

^^^^ Pics please might help somebody else out.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

Return to RC8(R)