What would you do? RC8 locked up

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
Reb
Two wheeled terror

Re: What would you do? RC8 locked up

Postby Reb » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:06 pm

I think you may be overlooking something here. If the crank will move a quarter turn either direction, then the motor is not seized. Something else is jamming up the works.

Did you try to turn the motor when the clutch was fully disassembled? This will tell you if you have crank problems or something else. In other words, disconnect the motor from the transmission and see which area is the problem one.

I have had similar issues with motors before, and the problem was usually something to do with the clutch being incorrectly mounted, or gear selection shaft mechanism being misalined and binding up behind the clutch basket allowing only limited movement before locking up. Sound familiar?

There has obviously been a fair bit of damage caused behind that clutch basket. To snap a hardened steel gear in half like that takes a LOT of force. I would be carefully inspecting other components in that area for damage, particularly being bent or not seated presicely in position.
Scooters are for Men who want to ride motorcycles, but prefer the wind on their vagina.

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 am

Reb wrote:I think you may be overlooking something here. If the crank will move a quarter turn either direction, then the motor is not seized. Something else is jamming up the works.

Did you try to turn the motor when the clutch was fully disassembled? This will tell you if you have crank problems or something else. In other words, disconnect the motor from the transmission and see which area is the problem one.

I have had similar issues with motors before, and the problem was usually something to do with the clutch being incorrectly mounted, or gear selection shaft mechanism being misalined and binding up behind the clutch basket allowing only limited movement before locking up. Sound familiar?

There has obviously been a fair bit of damage caused behind that clutch basket. To snap a hardened steel gear in half like that takes a LOT of force. I would be carefully inspecting other components in that area for damage, particularly being bent or not seated presicely in position.

Worthwhile points Reb, thanks.

I'll have a look over the weekend before I send it off.
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

blb
Wheelie king

Postby blb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok so update on this. KTM will only pay half of the parts, so basically I have to pay Fowlers £80 for telling me absolutely nothing :evil:

Not paying their labour rates and half parts that's for sure. So it looks like I have to part it out to get as much back as possible for it to settle off the remaining finance. First thing is to get the bike back and get the engine out of the bike and salvage the good bits, try to sell as much of it as possible. Then get rid of the rest.

I have 18 months left to run on finance so plenty of time left to get it sorted. This now seems to be my last option. :(

Anyone got any better ideas?

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:38 pm

I take it you don't fancy a winter project of finding the fault and fixing it yourself then?
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

blb
Wheelie king

Postby blb » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:19 pm

I just don't think I'm capable to be honest, also parts could be really pricey anyway. An engine has popped up on ebay so think I may buy that, get it in the bike and get it sold.

It was always likely to be sold in the spring anyway

blb
Wheelie king

Postby blb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:22 pm

Right decision made I'm parting it out. If anybody wants anything that may port across then let me know asap. Its a sad end and a real labour of love but I have to get on and get rid.

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:36 pm

blb wrote:Right decision made I'm parting it out. If anybody wants anything that may port across then let me know asap. Its a sad end and a real labour of love but I have to get on and get rid.

Would it not be better to get a spare engine from a breakers, chuck that in and sell it as a complete bike??

If it sold for more than 4K and you spent 1K on a motor that would be better and quicker wouldnt it??

I really feel for you on this, sounds like you have had awful luck!!
Recovering superbike addict

blb
Wheelie king

Postby blb » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:48 pm

I can't get an engine for sensible money, I had an option on one for £1150 but its fooked as well. I would have to spend £2k to get a decent one.. The numbers add up best to part it as it is. It owes me £4500 and would sell for £5 tops in good condition. If I can get £3k for the bits as is I can get it sorted.

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:54 pm

blb wrote:I can't get an engine for sensible money, I had an option on one for £1150 but its fooked as well. I would have to spend £2k to get a decent one.. The numbers add up best to part it as it is. It owes me £4500 and would sell for £5 tops in good condition. If I can get £3k for the bits as is I can get it sorted.

Well good luck with the parts sale.

If spare motors are selling for 2K perhaps you will do OK from parting it out!!

Join RC8.net or whatever it is and see if a feeding frenzu develops :)
Recovering superbike addict

Previous

Return to RC8(R)