Bought an Rc8

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Bought an Rc8

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 am

I bought myself a low km 08 RC8 with a titanium Akrapovic exhaust. Was time to get back on a full sports bike, albeit one with a lot more adjustability and comfort than an MV Agusta, which I was also considering!

First thoughts - the initial gear change from neutral to first is horrific - a massive clunk which can be alleviated somewhat by rolling the bike forward as you change down. Other than that, the box has proven to be perfect, with none of the false neutrals or notchy behaviour described in some of the reviews.

The handling is just perfect. WP is quality stuff and small adjustments make a big difference. I changed from the Standard to Sport settings to see what it was like and the difference was massive. Bone jarring ride on bumpy roads with massive levels of damping control - I think I'll leave that setting for smooth hills roads and the track.

As expected, it's got a shitload more power than the SDR, but I can't exploit it right now because the bloody seat is too slippery in jeans. Leathers are ok, but I'll be getting it recovered in something a bit more grippy. Once given its head this thing flies, with a fantastic booming note from the Akra. Amazingly it's not as loud as the cans on my SDR, but it sounds deeper, as you'd probably expect with bigger capacity.

The biggest improvement over the SDR is the fuelling. Frankly, the SDR is just crap. No matter what I did with it - SAS plates, lower gearing, exhaust, airbox, mapping - it's still crap! I ride everywhere in the lower three gears with my hand on the clutch to smooth it out. The RC8 is an inline four in comparison. It is so much more relaxing around the city than the naked bike, which is a big surprise.

The SDR is still the best hooligan toy ever though. I've never ridden a bike which encourages more one wheel action than the Superduke - they're just hilarious to ride around on. Hopefully once I get the seat fixed and gear it up one tooth on the rear the RC8 might approach its levels of outrageous wheelie behaviour.

Really love this RC8. It's a quality piece of kit.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Re: Bought an Rc8

Postby The Gin Reaper » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 pm

You may want to check out BLB's thread on his RC8 and check that the oil pump drive gear is not one of the duff ones - BLB's failed and wrote off his engine……

I look forward to a more in-depth review on the 8 when you get time…. i hanker after an RC8r ….. every day!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:04 pm

Cheers. Will do.
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:31 pm

You poor poor thing..

Hope yours is better than mine.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22261
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:51 pm

blb wrote:You poor poor thing..

Hope yours is better than mine.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22261

Wow.

I hope mine is better than yours too! You must be pretty jaded after that experience.

jambox
Trackday hero

Postby jambox » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:40 pm

Always said to myself, if I was going to get a sports bike (closest I've had was a VFR) it would be an RC8.

Good to see you're enjoying it.
05/06 SD, too raw for the journos!

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Postby speedfiend41 » Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 am

I've had this bike for a couple of months and its fair to say I'm in love. After 34 bikes, I think I've found one I could actually keep for a few years!

Good points:

Its drop dead gorgeous in an angular, transformers movie way. It draws more attention than anything I've ever had (KTM orange with black grip pads on the tank) and I can't stop looking at it.

It's a quality piece of kit. The paint is lustrous and smooth, it's held together with top quality fasteners and with WP suspension, Brembo's and an aftermarket Akrapovic titanium exhaust, I have nothing to complain about.

It's completely adjustable to suit anyone. The subframe goes up and down, clip ons up and down, pegs and levers - I can tailor this bike to exactly what I need. Long ride to the Island? Pegs in lowest position, seat on highest setting, bars on highest setting, suspension to comfort. Change it to track settings when I get there in 15 minutes.

It goes like a shower of shit! I know I'll get blown away by most IL4's in a long drag but through the hills I had no issues keeping up with my mates' 183 rwhp GSXR.

It pulls awesome, floating and controllable wheelies with ease. Not quite as good as the SDR though.

The fuelling is close enough to perfect. I don't have to ride around clutching it everywhere under 60 kmh like the SDR. It's actually a very good commuter - narrower than the SDR and more upright than most other sports bikes.

The handling is perfect. Perfect! Drops in to corners so easily, stable over bumps, and with a roomy riding position (I'm 6'2') so I can throw it around as easily as a Superduke. I really love this about the bike - I've had sports bikes before where in a corner my knees would get in the way of my elbows.

It sounds fantastic with the Akrapovic. Deeper tone than a Superduke and with the underslung exhaust I don't come back stinking of exhaust fumes.

The bad:

The mirrors vibrate quite a lot at certain revs, making it hard to see if anyone is creeping up on you.

It's got a shit turning circle.

The bloody seat is slippery in jeans - still working on that issue.

The back brake howls like a bastard at low speeds. At least it works though, unlike every v twin Aprilia I've owned.

First gear engages with a huge clunk unless I roll it forward as I do so.

And that's it. I love this bike so much I've sold the SDR. The RC8 does everything the Superduke could do with the bonus of more power, better handling at high speeds whilst being just as manoeuvrable at low speeds, better looks, fuelling that doesn't suck balls and I don't have to air out my jacket after every ride.

I swap bikes every year or so but right now, I can't think of anything new or second hand that will do for me what this bike does.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon May 12, 2014 4:41 pm

Nice!

Glad you're happy with it.

One KTM nut
Minimoto racer

Postby One KTM nut » Mon May 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Glad to see a fellow RC8 lover out there, mine is fantastic, although she is feeling neglected now the 1290 is here. But it's to beautiful to part with!

1290 SDR
RC8
690R Rally
500 exc Six Days
250 excf
Love my Kato's!

One KTM nut
Minimoto racer

Postby One KTM nut » Mon May 12, 2014 9:10 pm

1290 SDR
RC8
690R Rally
500 exc Six Days
250 excf
Love my Kato's!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Mon May 12, 2014 9:31 pm

One KTM nut wrote:Image

You greedy and lucky bastard!
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Return to RC8(R)