Model differences 08 and 09 RC8

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
Jermo
Stunt rider

Model differences 08 and 09 RC8

Postby Jermo » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:16 pm

I've heard the 08 generation RC8 has some issues with, for instance, the gearbox and this is sorted in in the newer models.

I'm currently of selling SD and buy a used RC8 and I see there are a lot of 08 models for sale.
Is there a noticeable difference between the 08 and newer models or is there not much difference in reliability and performance? ( only focusing on the 08 and 09 here, not the RC8R)
||====
||====
||
||

speedfiend41
Two wheeled terror

Re: Model differences 08 and 09 RC8

Postby speedfiend41 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:48 am

Oh Christ mate, don't ask an RC8 based question on this forum anymore - someone will bite your head off.

In answer to your question - I have an 08 RC8. Every gear change is flawless EXCEPT for changing into first - when there is a massive, teeth shattering crunch unless you roll the bike forward as you change. It's not as obvious once the bike is warmed up.

I don't know if my bike has had the gearbox update issued by KTM but it think most bikes would have. In any case, it doesn't bother me too much. I've never missed a gear either, which seemed to be of concern when they were reviewed. Maybe higher km help? Mine has now done 9,000 km.

The rest of the bike is perfect in every way. Mine has a titanium Akra which I think makes a huge difference from standard - much smoother, noisier and more grunt. Well worth hunting down one with the Akra.
Superduke 990R single seater, MIVV's, tail tidy, LSL bars
MV Agusta 2011 F4, dripping with carbon, titanium Bodis exhaust, sounds like Armageddon

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:55 am

Thanks for the reply, from your response I understand the gearbox issues shouldn't be a real issue since most will have the update by now.
The Cloink sound is something I already own with my SD and on this gearbox I only missed some gears when the shift lever wasn't on the correct height. I have no idea if there were other problems in the first gen RC8 and since SD.net knows everything and is one of the best online communities (not saying this because I want to keep my head) I wanted to ask here first :mrgreen:
||====
||====
||
||

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:04 am

Questions about RC8's ARE allowed on this forum so long as they are confined to the corner marked > Other KTM's > RC8®…… otherwise lots of LC8 and 1290 owning superdukers will get bent out of shape ……. still doesn't stop me wanting an RC8r mind! :mrgreen:
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Jermo
Stunt rider

Postby Jermo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:48 am

I've found this article which tells me just what I needed/wanted to know:
http://www.visordown.com/road-tests-use ... 15893.html
||====
||====
||
||

Vortex155
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vortex155 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:44 pm

The 08 has an 110Nm rear spring
the 09 has an 95Nm rear spring
The 08 has a banjo oil dipstick
the 09 has a screw type dipstick
All the 08 have recieved the major updates/upgrades
Both the 08 & 09 suffer after a while from the weird rebound unwind sickness.
There's a fix in the ktm parts list, a carefull owner should have noticed this, complaint 'bout this problem with his ktm supplier & recieved the RC8R internal rebound specs under warranty.
Change the clutch plates with some after market 155Hp clutch plates, also change the magura slave clutch & get one of the smoothest changeo,g bikes on the market...apart from the big clonk on cold engine.

should I go on ?? :mrgreen:
There's plenty more.
Vortex155 on twitter

Return to RC8(R)