RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

For RC8 owners a general forum with technical discussion, how to's and tips related to this bike only.
User avatar
topendz
moderator
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby topendz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:40 am

Well these should start to crop up in the next few weeks so if anyone finds any Dyno results from the RC8 kindly post. KTM on their technical data quote 155hp at the crank while the mags seem to be quoting a claimed 152hp at the crank from KTM, not much difference but an inconsistancy all the same. It's going to be interesting to see what it actually has at the rear wheel. HP counts in this catagory so if this has less than 140hp at the rear wheel KTM have some explaining to do. KTM claim directly close to 150hp at the rear from their Two Wheels Only interview.

User avatar
Stabak
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:01 am
Location: Athens, Greece

Postby Stabak » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Since every comparison with the 1098 is in favor of the italian bike powerwise , I'd expect +/- 3, 142 ponies
Stoned and Dethroned

User avatar
Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:48 am
Location: Guernsey

Postby Captain Pugwash » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 pm

My thoughts exactly.

Fast Bikes talking bollox as usual.


I reckon 140 ish as well on dyno,but don't forget every dyno is different so lets say 138-145 ish
ImageImageImage

User avatar
topendz
moderator
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby topendz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:19 pm

I suspect your right too. No Dyno is created equal but ball park figure should be in the low 140s yes. Lets wait and see it shouldn't be too long before people start to Dyno these sweet babies. I'm not a big fan of Fast Bikes either I prefer Superbike. An unfair mark against the RC8 is most mags have just finished the launch of the 1098R which is something else! They may be comparing apples to oranges here in seat of the pants power. Getting off a 1098r on to a RC8 has got to be a step down.

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider
 
Posts: 8706
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Postby jehadjoe » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:07 pm

I know I will take some heat on this, but since the fast dudes can get on the slow bike and eat the slow folks on the fast bikes,,,, does it really matter? :shock:

User avatar
Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:48 am
Location: Guernsey

Postby Captain Pugwash » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:13 pm

jehadjoe wrote:I know I will take some heat on this, but since the fast dudes can get on the slow bike and eat the slow folks on the fast bikes,,,, does it really matter? :shock:




Absolutely.


Whether the RC8 makes 120 or 160 I couldn't give a shit.

All I know is it will kick shit out of those antiquated SDs and their arthritic owners.



Image
ImageImageImage

jehadjoe
Thunder pumpkin rider
 
Posts: 8706
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Postby jehadjoe » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:19 pm

joe says get yer panzie ass on it and take the land bridge,

I will stomp you and yer over rated piece o dung into next week on my pumpkin,,

point taken, point made in only 2 posts,,,, bring it martin,, joe is ready for you :twisted:

User avatar
topendz
moderator
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby topendz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:08 pm

In this league Power and weight is important, these are the big leagues.

I've yet to ride a 150hp plus bike that doesn't feel like it has 150hp in the seat of my pants. If the RC8 doesn't feel like it has 150hp then it probably doesn't. I am pro RC8 just want to have realistic expectations. I was expecting the SD to be mad as hell. It wasn't but I still love it.

User avatar
Captain Pugwash
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 6:48 am
Location: Guernsey

Postby Captain Pugwash » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:15 pm

topendz wrote:In this league Power and weight is important, these are the big leagues.

I've yet to ride a 150hp plus bike that doesn't feel like it has 150hp in the seat of my pants. If the RC8 doesn't feel like it has 150hp then it probably doesn't. I am pro RC8 just want to have realistic expectations. I was expecting the SD to be mad as hell. It wasn't but I still love it.



Well when I rode the Arsey it certainly felt 'healthy'.

As I said elsewhere,my SD made 115 on the dyno.My MV makes 160 on the same dyno.

Riding the RC8 the other day I would put it in middle of the two,but nearer the MV.

I would be very surprised it it makes less than 140 on any dyno,and probably 145 ish on most.
ImageImageImage

User avatar
topendz
moderator
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:52 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Postby topendz » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:13 pm

Captain Pugwash wrote:
topendz wrote:In this league Power and weight is important, these are the big leagues.

I've yet to ride a 150hp plus bike that doesn't feel like it has 150hp in the seat of my pants. If the RC8 doesn't feel like it has 150hp then it probably doesn't. I am pro RC8 just want to have realistic expectations. I was expecting the SD to be mad as hell. It wasn't but I still love it.



Well when I rode the Arsey it certainly felt 'healthy'.

As I said elsewhere,my SD made 115 on the dyno.My MV makes 160 on the same dyno.

Riding the RC8 the other day I would put it in middle of the two,but nearer the MV.

I would be very surprised it it makes less than 140 on any dyno,and probably 145 ish on most.


Well that sounds very respectable.

User avatar
Vortex155
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm
Location: Antwerp

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby Vortex155 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:49 pm

I got mines on the test bench last year in may, millage was bout 13000km then
bike went in for tuneecu custom mapping and to fix some issues with the engine.

the figueres are meassured at the rear wheel

normal RC8 with standard exhaust, O2 sensors swithed off and customized 2001map

Image
Vortex155 on twitter

ratemut
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby ratemut » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:12 pm

my (now sold) 08 RC8 made 141 (when newish) and later only 135

My (now sold) 08 SDR made 131 on the same dyno.

My new 11 SDR have 117 (still on the same dyno).

User avatar
blb
Wheelie king
 
Posts: 1369
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:56 pm
Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby blb » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Mine was 145bhp at 9k on Projex's dyno. DNA air filter, standard exhaust and a bit of ignition advance!

Very happy with the results, as others know Kevs dyno reads a fair bit lower than a dynojet one so must be over 150!

I'll try and get a picture uploaded....
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

User avatar
Vortex155
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm
Location: Antwerp

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby Vortex155 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Mines was 148 at rear, so quite happy, guess in june a jce and then back to AV-Racing
just noticed my pic didn't make it load another one

Image
Vortex155 on twitter

User avatar
Vortex155
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:17 pm
Location: Antwerp

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby Vortex155 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:50 pm

There's a testday this weekend, maybe a new dyno run, I load boneheads PCIII map and then have another go...but first have to get me bike back...got a coolant leak, lucky got the extended warranty, a must have as 2008/2009 owner. Bought my RC8/08 in march 2010 brandnew, hope this is the last issue,although the gearbox is knackered also now with 22000km on the tach.
Vortex155 on twitter

chris2
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:47 am
Location: Charles Town, WV

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby chris2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:05 am

my '10 R made 150 stock, 155 with Akra and air filter from the club race kit

User avatar
Tead
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby Tead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:25 am

170 with akra 2in2 full exhaust and ktm stock kit
Still too slow ;) :(

User avatar
mattipoeka
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm
Location: Finland

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby mattipoeka » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:15 pm

Tead wrote:170 with akra 2in2 full exhaust and ktm stock kit
Still too slow ;) :(


Some guys in germany got 185.65 hp and 139.99 Nm of torque at the wheel with superbike kit :P

Btw. Sold my SD and bought RC8R Race Spec :D

-Matti
------

KTM 990 SuperDuke '08

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re:

Postby SDNerd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 pm

topendz wrote:I suspect your right too. No Dyno is created equal but ball park figure should be ...
While true that no two dynos will be absolutely identical, any two dynos calibrated equally, should read equally to within a fairly small uncertainty (< +/-1 HP) - all other conditions being equal (which they are rarely so controlled or corrected properly for). Seems few shops wants to pay for the calibrations or the standards. Unlike other state-controlled weights and measures, dynamometers aren't usually well-managed WRT accuracy.

Regardless as to whether the RC8R makes 140 or 170 HP (which is what I recall KTM claiming the output was, presumably at the crank) - do you have the skills to use it? Let's assume you do - where are you able to exercise those skills? I'm guessing not on the daily commute.

For most of us that are mere mortals (and that, I certainly am) - what matters are lap times in this category. I contend that if you purchase a litre+ displacement "Superbike", it's an awful waste IMO if it never sees track time. I mean, what's the point? Every discussion beyond that about horsepower is just dick wagging. Matti there, certainly gets it. 8)

The biggest distinguishing factor amongst said mortals is not usually the bikes for a given displacement, but the rider and their skills. And how well that bike has been set up for that rider (= confidence = speed). When you are salaried to race motorcycles (immortals!), then 5 or 10 HP starts to matter significantly.

I think this is an interesting and thoughtful exchange on this very topic - and I did read that (SportRider) comparison: http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/ktm-rc8 ... -rc8r.html

User avatar
MADDOG53
Race ace
 
Posts: 4421
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:42 pm
Location: USA/ N.E.

Re:

Postby MADDOG53 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:51 pm

jehadjoe wrote:I know I will take some heat on this, but since the fast dudes can get on the slow bike and eat the slow folks on the fast bikes,,,, does it really matter? :shock:

+1 on that :!: it does what,,,140-145 in third gear,,to ride one on the street must be a bog it around town thing,,all the "fast" bikes I've seen on the street this summer were going not much over the limit,,,bog job,,,if your not trackin it,,it's,,,,useless to say the least,,,,all the top bikes right now are beauties, if only you could "cut them in half" then I'de buy one,,,,can't see banging a couple of gear's on a six speed and being really happy, unless just to say that "I got the fastest bike on the road" ,,,,,,,,however in my great state, the troopers have a few of these to catch the foolish

http://naraku.net/wp-content/uploads/20 ... police.jpg
BLACK is BACK

User avatar
41KS
Two wheeled terror
 
Posts: 428
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 am
Location: España

Re: Re:

Postby 41KS » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:00 am

SDNerd wrote:Every discussion beyond that about horsepower is just dick wagging.

Generally all the life around us is one big dick wagging :) My relation with dyno - however I am already happy with the bike - is I will go back to spend some more dyno time to play a bit with different set-up(s) trying to get additional ooomph on the torque curve at 3000 - 6000 rpm. I feel I could use it on the road, thats why :D
365 days a year perfect motorcycling weather in Europe! Where?? Investment properties in Spain, Costa Del Sol: http://www.sunavenuehomes.com

User avatar
SDNerd
Master of the twisties
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Kalifornistan

Re: Re:

Postby SDNerd » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:02 am

41KS wrote:
SDNerd wrote:Every discussion beyond that about horsepower is just dick wagging.

Generally all the life around us is one big dick wagging :) My relation with dyno - however I am already happy with the bike - is I will go back to spend some more dyno time to play a bit with different set-up(s) trying to get additional ooomph on the torque curve at 3000 - 6000 rpm. I feel I could use it on the road, thats why :D
LOL - and somewhat true - and that makes some sense: trying to flatten/smooth the curves and pump up (or fill in as the case often requires) the mid-range for the road. Appears to me that you, jehadjoe, and even the rabid MADDOG53 all seem to get it too.

cheesie
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:54 pm
Location: N.Ireland

Re: Re:

Postby cheesie » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:42 pm

SDNerd wrote:
topendz wrote:I suspect your right too. No Dyno is created equal but ball park figure should be ...
While true that no two dynos will be absolutely identical, any two dynos calibrated equally, should read equally to within a fairly small uncertainty (< +/-1 HP) - all other conditions being equal (which they are rarely so controlled or corrected properly for). Seems few shops wants to pay for the calibrations or the standards. Unlike other state-controlled weights and measures, dynamometers aren't usually well-managed WRT accuracy.

Regardless as to whether the RC8R makes 140 or 170 HP (which is what I recall KTM claiming the output was, presumably at the crank) - do you have the skills to use it? Let's assume you do - where are you able to exercise those skills? I'm guessing not on the daily commute.

For most of us that are mere mortals (and that, I certainly am) - what matters are lap times in this category. I contend that if you purchase a litre+ displacement "Superbike", it's an awful waste IMO if it never sees track time. I mean, what's the point? Every discussion beyond that about horsepower is just dick wagging. Matti there, certainly gets it. 8)

The biggest distinguishing factor amongst said mortals is not usually the bikes for a given displacement, but the rider and their skills. And how well that bike has been set up for that rider (= confidence = speed). When you are salaried to race motorcycles (immortals!), then 5 or 10 HP starts to matter significantly.

I think this is an interesting and thoughtful exchange on this very topic - and I did read that (SportRider) comparison: http://www.ktmforums.com/forums/ktm-rc8 ... -rc8r.html

well said I still find myself holding back a little on track on my sdr compared to my 89bhp trx, throttle to the stop mid corner

User avatar
mattipoeka
Minimoto racer
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:03 pm
Location: Finland

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby mattipoeka » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Tead wrote:170 with akra 2in2 full exhaust and ktm stock kit
Still too slow ;) :(


My 2011 RC8R Track but out 163 hp :)
------

KTM 990 SuperDuke '08

ratemut
Stunt rider
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 1:13 pm
Location: Denmark

Re: RC8 ON THE DYNO ANYONE?

Postby ratemut » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:25 pm

mattipoeka wrote:
Tead wrote:170 with akra 2in2 full exhaust and ktm stock kit
Still too slow ;) :(


My 2011 RC8R Track but out 163 hp :)


Interesting :D

Thats the first time I have seen hp figures for a track edition.

160-165 is also what I expect from my 2011 track edition.

Next

Return to RC8(R)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest