Standard Grip Change

For all 1290 related mods.
scamb66

Standard Grip Change

Postby scamb66 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 am

Ok I know this is simple but I am posting this to stop guys purchasing standard grips which wont fit on the 1290 throttle tube.
The new grips are double the price of standard grips (I paid A$66) but they do come installed on the throttle tube.

As you can see from the old tube there is slots abound on it, would be a pain to install a new grip on the tube.

4 screws has the switch block apart and the tube just slides off. New one slots in in seconds. All in all its an easy 5 minute job.

The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

lc4
Stunt rider

Re: Standard Grip Change

Postby lc4 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:03 am

Nothing a grinder would not fix :D

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:54 am

I get why they did it, it makes heated grips easier to install on both sides but the price of the clutch side tube with grip on it is a piss take. I take it pre 2017 bikes the tube and grip come as one on the clutch side as well? Can't find a fiche for the 2017 anywhere.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:I get why they did it, it makes heated grips easier to install on both sides but the price of the clutch side tube with grip on it is a piss take. I take it pre 2017 bikes the tube and grip come as one on the clutch side as well? Can't find a fiche for the 2017 anywhere.

Everything is in USD but for information purposes you can use this site: http://oemparts.chaparral-racing.com/oemparts/l/ktm/59aa05b576a4a259183a537f/2017-1290-super-duke-r-black-parts
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 am

A little off topic I know but If you have a lot of backlash in the drive tangs on the throttle it is a worthwhile mod to build up the tangs with epoxy. I believe the early model 1290s had more free play than necessary. Once I did this on my bike it made a huge difference and the throttle is now very precise. I ride around town in traffic in sports mode and have good throttle control and no lurching due to backlash in the mechanism.
It was one of the early changes I made to my bike and it went from a pig in traffic to something much nicer to ride.
It is a very simple mod and makes a big difference to the stock arrangement.
I don't know if the later bikes had these clearances rectified in production or not.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:31 am

abc wrote:A little off topic I know but If you have a lot of backlash in the drive tangs on the throttle it is a worthwhile mod to build up the tangs with epoxy. I believe the early model 1290s had more free play than necessary. Once I did this on my bike it made a huge difference and the throttle is now very precise. I ride around town in traffic in sports mode and have good throttle control and no lurching due to backlash in the mechanism.
It was one of the early changes I made to my bike and it went from a pig in traffic to something much nicer to ride.
I don't know if the later bikes had these clearances rectified in production or not.

Your right it probably is a little sloppier than it should be but I hadn't really thought about it until you mentioned it.
As you say, its an easy fix.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

arg
Minimoto racer

Postby arg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 pm

abc wrote:A little off topic I know but If you have a lot of backlash in the drive tangs on the throttle it is a worthwhile mod to build up the tangs with epoxy. I believe the early model 1290s had more free play than necessary. Once I did this on my bike it made a huge difference and the throttle is now very precise. I ride around town in traffic in sports mode and have good throttle control and no lurching due to backlash in the mechanism.

My 2017 has too much slope, I'll give this a try. Thanks.

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]