1290 Rear wheel removal

For all 1290 related mods.
Ducati Pete
Race ace

Location: On the banks of the River Thames with Ratty and Mole.

Re: 1290 Rear wheel removal

Postby Ducati Pete » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:55 pm

I already had a socket for the 990, it's the same as my CRF450 race bike .

However, as I travel light for Euro trackdays, I use the one in the kit. It's OK.

The KTM toolkits are pretty good as far as bike kits go.
A lot of the guys in the superM paddock used to joke that the tool kit was the only thing you'd want to keep after 6 months!
chech your futidge
Image Image Image

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm

wsmc831 wrote:
Stupid Luke wrote:
jemook wrote:What % of superduke owners will actually take the wheel off the bike themselves? Most wouldn't so I can't imagine why KTM would include one. Then again what do I know. I won't be taking the wheel off mine any time soon.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Have Superdukes turned into Desmosedici's then and you just get your butler to do it? I am as far from mechanically skilled as you can get and I have taken the wheels off my Superdukes dozens of times.

I assume you must be a 1290 owner. Most of us peasants with 990's have spare wheels for trackdays and take loose wheels to tyre fitters. I suspect most 1290 owners will too, once the 'have to be first' 1290 owners move on to something else next spring. :D

Boy, someone certainly seems upset there is a new SuperDuke out he can't afford. You just keep telling yourself all new SD owners are losers compared to yourself if it makes you feel better. Personally, I'm replacing my primary street bike purchased 15 years ago with a new SD, and I change my own tyres.

Ha ha!

I keep seeing similar posts and chuckling. Especially the ones complaining about 1290s being a rip off and ridiculously overpriced... Must be why they're struggling to sell them!!

Stupid Luke
Master of the twisties

Postby Stupid Luke » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:23 pm

Leeroybrown01 wrote:Ha ha!

I keep seeing similar posts and chuckling. Especially the ones complaining about 1290s being a rip off and ridiculously overpriced... Must be why they're struggling to sell them!!

You guys keep believing that, like you have bought a 14 grand ticket to the master race or something for the price of a new Ford Fiesta. Like none of us could get store credit, have more than 1 bike to p/ex or actually, unbelievably have the money just lying around in the bank or wherever.There are guys on here that could buy one outright out of their pocket change, they wont as they know what 1st gen new model KTM's are like plus what KTM UK's customer service is like. You guys think you are something special, yet the rest of the forum are looking at you like special needs guinea pigs.

KTM arent struggling to sell them as there are too few in the Uk and too many guys that want to be Billy big bollocks this summer. Next year KTM will be discounting them and all you Billy BB'S will be getting a cactus up their arse on resale. Enjoy. :D

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Stupid Luke wrote:

You guys keep believing that, like you have bought a 14 grand ticket to the master race or something for the price of a new Ford Fiesta. Like none of us could get store credit, have more than 1 bike to p/ex or actually, unbelievably have the money just lying around in the bank or wherever.There are guys on here that could buy one outright out of their pocket change, they wont as they know what 1st gen new model KTM's are like plus what KTM UK's customer service is like. You guys think you are something special, yet the rest of the forum are looking at you like special needs guinea pigs.

KTM arent struggling to sell them as there are too few in the Uk and too many guys that want to be Billy big bollocks this summer. Next year KTM will be discounting them and all you Billy BB'S will be getting a cactus up their arse on resale. Enjoy. :D

:lol: Funny, but none of this matters IMO - what will be far more entertaining to me, is when I pwn the first 1290 I see in the twisties and at the racetrack, on whatever I happen to be riding that day. :mrgreen:

Anyone who's been riding a while, knows: It ain't about who has the most HP, spent the most money, or has the newest model. That said, there will always be the gotta-have-it-first-all-else-be-damned folks, and those that will always ride right past them.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Fook it if I could I had 14k of loose change lying around I'd buy one regardless of the fact it's a first model. But as I'm fooking useless at saving money there is little to no chance of me ever having 14k in loose change :roll:
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Stupid Luke
Master of the twisties

Postby Stupid Luke » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:30 pm

Colonel_Klinck wrote:Fook it if I could I had 14k of loose change lying around I'd buy one regardless of the fact it's a first model. But as I'm fooking useless at saving money there is little to no chance of me ever having 14k in loose change :roll:

Bic has probably thrown out 14k of pound coins as he didnt like the aesthetics of the design of the queen's tits. Have a hunt around down the sides of his sofa next time he is stalking an odd looking, but still sexy woman, on the train.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:23 am

Stupid Luke wrote:Bic has probably thrown out 14k of pound coins as he didnt like the aesthetics of the design of the queen's tits. Have a hunt around down the sides of his sofa next time he is stalking an odd looking, but still sexy woman, on the train.

That was you in drag again wasn't Luke?!!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:30 am

Mods, why is this in the general banter thread?
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:36 am

scamb66 wrote:Mods, why is this in the general banter thread?

I'm guessing because that's where the author started it. I'll move it to 1290 How To.
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 am

Stupid Luke wrote:

If that's the case stop sounding like you're full of f@cking sour grapes then... Why do people want to be Billy Big Bollocks? Ive had a 620 Duke, 3 640 Duke 2's and 2 990 Superdukes. If I'm in the market for a bike this year what do you think I'm going to buy, a f@cking Pan European?

I've had no issue with KTM build quality or their customer service. I think they are one of the most innovative, high quality manufacturer of bikes around today... and I for one want their latest, most advanced machine, and I want it now, not next year. The dealer I bought mine from had taken 7 deposits before the release date had been announced. How was supply from such a relatively small manufacturer ever going to keep up with that when you extrapolate across the dealer network?

And you can keep your new Fiesta.

And who gives a f@ck about resale..? I'm not selling it.

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:29 am

SDNerd wrote:
Stupid Luke wrote:

:lol: Funny, but none of this matters IMO - what will be far more entertaining to me, is when I pwn the first 1290 I see in the twisties and at the racetrack, on whatever I happen to be riding that day. :mrgreen:

Anyone who's been riding a while, knows: It ain't about who has the most HP, spent the most money, or has the newest model. That said, there will always be the gotta-have-it-first-all-else-be-damned folks, and those that will always ride right past them.

I'll be sure to look out for you as you come flying past me, you absolute legend...

Shame you weren't at Almeira last week... You could have shown Jeremy McWilliams how to ride his.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:32 am

because only a very small part of this thread actually concerns the 1290... :roll:
2006 KTM Super Duke Titanium ~ Full Titanium Akra Evo ~ MH Motobox and flies
VW TSI 1.4 problemen

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:37 am

Bert wrote:

because only a very small part of this thread actually concerns the 1290... :roll:

I was thinking that...

Sounds like banter to me...

paul81
Two wheeled terror

Postby paul81 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:34 am

Leeroybrown01 wrote:And who gives a f@ck about resale..? I'm not selling it.

not that i really care too much for this arguement but if you earn a dig well :mrgreen:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22820

what was wrong with last years bike by the way? :lol: :lol:
RIDE BREAK FIX REPEAT

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:54 am

Complaining yes. .. Then I bought a bike that has much less performance for the equivalent of 1k pounds less. .. or 2k aud. But for the heart racing like the 1290 could not.

What was the official hp of the 990sd 118? This is 110 but beautiful to look at and ride. Still keeping the 990 though... I still go to the garage to perv on it at night.. abs ride the piss or of her during the day.
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

MrZ32
Trackday hero

Postby MrZ32 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:06 pm

Leeroybrown01 wrote:
Stupid Luke wrote:

If that's the case stop sounding like you're full of f@cking sour grapes then... Why do people want to be Billy Big Bollocks? Ive had a 620 Duke, 3 640 Duke 2's and 2 990 Superdukes. If I'm in the market for a bike this year what do you think I'm going to buy, a f@cking Pan European?

I've had no issue with KTM build quality or their customer service. I think they are one of the most innovative, high quality manufacturer of bikes around today... and I for one want their latest, most advanced machine, and I want it now, not next year. The dealer I bought mine from had taken 7 deposits before the release date had been announced. How was supply from such a relatively small manufacturer ever going to keep up with that when you extrapolate across the dealer network?

Isn't ktm the biggest European bike manufacturer? Taking over bmw? Or something along those lines? Ktm is definitely not a small manufacturer or player... yet they are so good at getting it wrong. Except for the handling and motor

Although most of that is probably marketings fault. ..
08 SD, WP Dampener, 'Suspension Improvements" tuned sus (springs, valves, shim stacks ), KTM cowl, R&G carbon covers, Termi Pipes (from a duc 998), Grim990 Airbox, breather mod, SAS plates, tuneECU PDI tune, HM QS, JTM VS & DVS

jemook
Two wheeled terror

Postby jemook » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:27 pm

Lots of talk about new generation Superduke 1290r and all the guys that went balls out buying it sight unseen.. I have had plenty of bikes and I reckon that 90% of the people that have bought the 1290r will not be selling it because it's the bomb! I won't be selling my bubba unless something comes out that can rival it's ride-ability and right now I can't imagine that anything comes close for a daily cruiser. I love my 1290r and it's not going anywhere and I feel that most other new owners feel the same way.

blb
Wheelie king

Location: Usually sat at my desk waiting for customers. Yeovil, UK

Postby blb » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:54 pm

Should come with a centrestand too. Can't believe they didn't supply it :lol: :lol:

For all the people who don't want to be paying dealers an extra £20 just to get the wheels out when you need them replacing and to all the track whores the spanner, socket, whatever should be supplied. Even if it does need a load of torqueing..

KTM's toolkit is going down in quality like its bikes :lol: Just another rushed out for the summer market KTM..

Should point out I've had 4 KTM's in the past, the 990 Superdukes were worth the small niggles and I'm sure the 1290 is to the people who can afford it. The RC8 was definitely not worth the niggles! The 990 owners aren't bitter about the 1290 owners, most of us could afford a 1290 on credit but we just choose not to. It's not a jealousy thing, the 990 is an amazing bike and in the right hands as shown on here many times it would wipe the floor with bikes of much larger capacity.
Racing is life, everything else before and after is just waiting.

www.bransonsmotorcycles.co.uk

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Leeroybrown01 wrote:If that's the case stop sounding like you're full of f@cking sour grapes then... Why do people want to be Billy Big Bollocks? Ive had a 620 Duke, 3 640 Duke 2's and 2 990 Superdukes. If I'm in the market for a bike this year what do you think I'm going to buy, a f@cking Pan European?

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:53 pm

This debate requires a new thread.

I'll start one. It will be called "The new model".
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:01 pm

All the complaints about the toolkit - I'll be the first to admit that the only tool I've used from my 990 kit is the bottle opener.

Don't get me wrong - it looks like a decent kit; fine in a pinch if on tour or something like that.

I have real tools in my garage however, and like most here at sd.net who like to get their hands seriously dirty, my wrenching is done there. By real, I mean the kind that won't fail me with regular and repeated use - the grade that people who make a living turning wrenches use. Tools that are ergonomically designed for day-in-day-out use, not for their ability to be packed into a small pouch. Not cheaply made for the rare emergency need. Not the kind tools that ruin fasteners when used more than 3 times. Real tools also go to the track with me - for changes/adjustments, and to address the lighter of mishaps. I don't fook around when it comes to tools.

Seriously, why don't you all expect this for far more costly cars/trucks? I do recall a couple of beautiful, very high quality tool sets that came with some BMW (cars) I owned long ago - hadn't seen anything as nice as those up to that point, or since ... Nor do I expect to.

Do you all use your car "emergency" tools to remove and install wheels when you need new tyres? I'd be impressed if any modern kit in a car/truck could achieve more than 2 sets of wheel removals and installations.

Does the person who drives a $100K+ (or even $30k+) car give a shit about whether his vehicle has any tools or not? Of course not - he calls someone to take care of it when it breaks down. Do your wives or girlfriends have any ability (experience) in using her (or your) vehicle's emergency kit? Mine does, but I know damn well she's an exception - and believe me, she calls someone to deal with a flat. Hell, I usually call someone - because I am insured for that, and that insurance is a trivial cost.

Point is, regardless the cost of the bike, I don't care that much about how extensive its tool kit is. I can't recall EVER using a moto's kit tool to remove/install a wheel (unless it was a kit a put together myself, with that purpose in mind). Expecting a mfgr. to provide a 60mm socket to remove the wheel is silly.

On the matter of the 1290s cost: It's a fact, that there are many (most?) registrants here where it's not the price of the 1290 that's daunting, it's the value that remains in question. Assuming that 990 owners simply can't afford a 1290 is naive. I offer - based on many remarks on sd.net, that most just aren't willing to (yet). It's really not important.

For those that have plunked down for a shiny new 1290, or are lusting to be the first on your block to have and put down a deposit for the privilege - all I can suggest is that you enjoy them.

Personally, KTM's marketing hype isn't enough to get me to pony up for one blindly. People that already have one telling me it's "awesome" ain't driving me to the stealer either.

I'll ride one before I pass any judgement on the product's performance. I gotta note, that on paper, I'm expecting something more like a Hayabusa/ZX-14R, than a Tuono V4R or S1000R.

Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:11 pm

Word...

Sabre
Trackday hero

Postby Sabre » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:14 pm

Whatever you've got the main thing is you enjoy the damn thing, if you've got the cash and fancy a 1290r then why not treat yourself. I really don't want a 1290r,but do think it looks fantastic and I hope everyone that's bought one enjoys it,i'm still very happy with my 990r so wont be selling up and joining the ranks of 1290r owners anytime soon.

I've also never used/or carry a supplied bike's tool kit,990r I've got AA cover for the road, off road I carry enough tools to remove wheels and repair a puncture or replace a tube. My new crf450x only came with a spark plug socket and spoke spanner which is fine with me, ok it's only half the price of the 1290r but it's the bike I bought not the tool kit. The KTM tool kit is still bagged up and somewhere in the garage unused since I bought the bike back in may 2007.
If it's orange it's worth a spin !

SD R 990
XR 400

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:40 pm

As far as tool kits go KTM supply the best I have seen, still shit but better than anything jap or early Ducati, especillaly the quality double ended screwdriver. Always leave it in the bike on the off chance I need it but rarely if ever break it out.
Anyway who dosent have a use for a botte opener, previous owner of my 990 liked it so much he decided to keep it.

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:45 pm

Luke. I never liked the aesthetics of our queen.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]