1290 Rear wheel removal

For all 1290 related mods.
Leeroybrown01
Two wheeled terror

Re: 1290 Rear wheel removal

Postby Leeroybrown01 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 pm

paul81 wrote:
Leeroybrown01 wrote:And who gives a f@ck about resale..? I'm not selling it.

not that i really care too much for this arguement but if you earn a dig well :mrgreen:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22820

what was wrong with last years bike by the way? :lol: :lol:

Just found the 990 a bit slow...

Whoa boys, I'm only joking!!!

Nah, nothing wrong with it. I really liked it. I just bought it while I was waiting for the 1290. I'd had a 990 previously and loved it, so when I first saw the proto of the 1290 in Milan in 2012 I knew I'd have to have one. I put a deposit down and bought the 990 at the same time.

Just can't wait to get the 1290 finished and ride it!!

shadowman
Wheelie king

Postby shadowman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:21 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Luke. I never liked the aesthetics of our queen.

Is treason still punishable by death in the UK?
Recovering superbike addict

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Uncanny
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

The Gin Reaper

Location: inspecting the tarmac at most racetrack hairpins.....Naarfolk ingerland

Postby The Gin Reaper » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:42 pm

shadowman wrote:

Is treason still punishable by death in the UK?

only thing that still is i think!…… nice knowing you bic!
Favourite quote - "after watching him take everything so in his bloody stride, it made Jim Lovell look like a panicky little bitch!"

never argue with an idiot..... they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience....

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:02 am

Back on topic ...

I consider myself a bit of a spanner man. Hey Nerd pass the 60mm socket from your real tool kit, you'll find it over there with the half dozen or so 10mm's and 12mm's (which everyone and every decent store has).

Can't remember the last time I even saw a 60mm socket. In fact, I can't even find a part number for the KTM one in the special tools list :cry:

Crotchrockety

Postby Crotchrockety » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:55 am

wsmc831 wrote:
Stupid Luke wrote:
jemook wrote:What % of superduke owners will actually take the wheel off the bike themselves? Most wouldn't so I can't imagine why KTM would include one. Then again what do I know. I won't be taking the wheel off mine any time soon.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Have Superdukes turned into Desmosedici's then and you just get your butler to do it? I am as far from mechanically skilled as you can get and I have taken the wheels off my Superdukes dozens of times.

I assume you must be a 1290 owner. Most of us peasants with 990's have spare wheels for trackdays and take loose wheels to tyre fitters. I suspect most 1290 owners will too, once the 'have to be first' 1290 owners move on to something else next spring. :D

Boy, someone certainly seems upset there is a new SuperDuke out he can't afford. You just keep telling yourself all new SD owners are losers compared to yourself if it makes you feel better. Personally, I'm replacing my primary street bike purchased 15 years ago with a new SD, and I change my own tyres.

08 Superduke

"I'm now thinking the SD is the motocycle equivalent to 'Once you go black you don't go back.'" Agent Orange

What's that coming over the hill is it a Superduke? Is it a Superduke?

DougFir
Trackday hero

Postby DougFir » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Good reason to ditch that flashy one sided swing arm. :wink: :wink:
Brit cars came with a hammer to tighten the wheels on years ago. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
HD 165, DT! 250, RM250, SR500, Kaw GPZ 750, Husk 430, TT500 DS, Ninja 600R, GSXR 1100, GSXR 750, Ninja ZX7R,
XR400 DS, Ducati ST4S, Suz Bandit 1200, KTM EXC 300, XR650R DS, KTM EXC 300, Tr Tiger 885, KTM SD 990, KTM ADV 950, CBR1100XX KTM 200 XCW

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 pm

jmann wrote:Back on topic ...

I consider myself a bit of a spanner man. Hey Nerd pass the 60mm socket from your real tool kit, you'll find it over there with the half dozen or so 10mm's and 12mm's (which everyone and every decent store has).

Can't remember the last time I even saw a 60mm socket. In fact, I can't even find a part number for the KTM one in the special tools list :cry:

Shipping may be a bit much, but this one is pretty inexpensive:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... fgodYE0AUg

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:12 am

I paid Oz $38.00 for my single hex 60mm 3/4 drive socket.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:16 am

kevxtx wrote:I paid Oz $38.00 for my single hex 60mm 3/4 drive socket.

From where, local or net?

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:14 pm

From our local tool man that drives a tool van around selling tools to workshops, I will ask him where he got it from when he come this Friday.

I was going to get one of these but he beat those prices.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KC-Tools-3-4 ... 51b4e6eb62
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HELI-GUY-1-I ... 3cdee2b466

Bob
Minimoto racer

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:51 am

jemook wrote:Lots of talk about new generation Superduke 1290r and all the guys that went balls out buying it sight unseen.. I have had plenty of bikes and I reckon that 90% of the people that have bought the 1290r will not be selling it because it's the bomb! I won't be selling my bubba unless something comes out that can rival it's ride-ability and right now I can't imagine that anything comes close for a daily cruiser. I love my 1290r and it's not going anywhere and I feel that most other new owners feel the same way.

+1 here fella!
I traded my 990 adv and 950 sm for one and I think it's a hoot of a thing to ride!!
Bob

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Thu May 15, 2014 8:29 am

This one looks the business, got mine ordered.

http://xtcommerce.motorradteile-bursig. ... -2014.html

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Mon May 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Damn $80 before shipping! I will prob order a cheapo off ebay for the 1 or twice a year I have to actually use it.

As far as the enormous torque settings. all SS swing arms are out of control left hand torques. I would say majority of people do not even own a torque wrench that goes that high and you would probably need a Elephant and a 8 foot cheater bar for it to stand on. My MV the torque is 220NM which again is impossible to achieve but the common made torque is still around 60+ft lbs. which in its self is a a ton of torque!
I peck on an ipad with 1 finger. Idc about punctuation or capitalization

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon May 19, 2014 8:02 pm

Wa2fst wrote:Damn $80 before shipping! I will prob order a cheapo off ebay for the 1 or twice a year I have to actually use it.

As far as the enormous torque settings. all SS swing arms are out of control left hand torques. I would say majority of people do not even own a torque wrench that goes that high and you would probably need a Elephant and a 8 foot cheater bar for it to stand on. My MV the torque is 220NM which again is impossible to achieve but the common made torque is still around 60+ft lbs. which in its self is a a ton of torque!

Torque = force x distance.
220N = 22.5kg

So a 1m bar needs 22.5kg of pull to apply 220Nm of torque. Not difficult at all, and not enormous.

Enormous is the 10k psi pressure vessels I occasionally bolt up which need 3000 odd Nm of torque on each stud...

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon May 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Wa2fst wrote:Damn $80 before shipping! I will prob order a cheapo off ebay for the 1 or twice a year I have to actually use it.

Didn't look ^^? Hardly $80 ... But whatever ... for 1 or 2 changes a year, maybe you should just pay your tyre guys to do the deed when you need it.

I cannot state what the torque spec is for the 1290's rear nut - is it really as high as the MVs'? FWIW, 220 NM is the same for an 1199 last I checked ... In any case - hardly "impossible".

I always believed that the real reason it was that high on MVs was due to the well-known underated (load specifications) "hub" bearings they use. Perhaps not (the only?) reason after all ... You don't really want these things coming loose or off when attempting to break the speed of sound at every opportunity. :mrgreen:

Regardless - 60 ft-lbs isn't a "ton" of anything ... For even a conventional swingarm (many front axles as well), 60 ft-lbs would be a relatively low torque spec. A decent 1/2" drive "clicker" type torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft-lbs (205 nm) will set you back < $50. No, it won't be a Snap-On, or a come with a NIST-traceable calibration certificate.

You're not sending up satellites, so you don't need that kind of wrench for the two tyre changes you'll be doing a year. Hell, you can go down to your local Sears store and buy a digital-readout (presumably uses strain gauges) 1/2" drive 250 ft-lbs (340 NM) torque wrench for about $110.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Mon May 19, 2014 9:13 pm

SDNerd wrote:I always believed that the real reason it was that high on MVs was due to the well-known underated (load specifications) "hub" bearings they use.

Changed one on a Brutale once a few years ago, couldn't believe how weedy a bearing they fitted in the factory. I'm sure there were much better bearings available to fit the same hole!

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon May 19, 2014 10:20 pm

DMacL wrote:
SDNerd wrote:I always believed that the real reason it was that high on MVs was due to the well-known underated (load specifications) "hub" bearings they use.

Changed one on a Brutale once a few years ago, couldn't believe how weedy a bearing they fitted in the factory. I'm sure there were much better bearings available to fit the same hole!

There were, and there are. On bikes that expensive - sure seems a really stupid place to pinch pennies, given the possible liabilities of it ...

ebags
Two wheeled terror

Postby ebags » Tue May 20, 2014 12:40 am

I'll just put this here.

http://www.microbluebearings.com/
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere."
Colin Chapman

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Tue May 20, 2014 2:18 am

Actually the fail is as opiniated as oil the hubs have failed on some bikes but hardly anything to do with the massive wheel nut torque a guy in australia was able to engineer one up other than that you cant just fill the hole its the entire hub that has to be replaced. And for a couple tyre changes a year at shop rates and my time on waiting is worth more so i will just buy a cheapo socket to pull the wheel off, and i change my own tyres.Since im fairly mechanically inclined A&P mechanic with 18 yrs experience i will do my own maintenance. And last i checked doing 220nm of torque is pretty ridiculous and i didnt find it that easy at all. So 60ft lbs or 80 i can get it and pin it and be done.

Also at the speed of sound the rear nut is left hand thread so it tightens as the wheel spins (in theory) def will spin loose if it was a right hand thread so 80ft lbs and pin it your perfectly fine

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Tue May 20, 2014 7:11 am

Wa2fst wrote:Also at the speed of sound the rear nut is left hand thread so it tightens as the wheel spins (in theory) def will spin loose if it was a right hand thread so 80ft lbs and pin it your perfectly fine

At the speed of sound? Please explain further.

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Tue May 20, 2014 7:57 am

DMacL wrote:
Wa2fst wrote:Also at the speed of sound the rear nut is left hand thread so it tightens as the wheel spins (in theory) def will spin loose if it was a right hand thread so 80ft lbs and pin it your perfectly fine

Bout 3/4 throttle on the 1290

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Tue May 20, 2014 8:58 am

Pikey wrote:
DMacL wrote:

Bout 3/4 throttle on the 1290

^^ :lol: :lol:

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Tue May 20, 2014 10:58 am

I always believed that the real reason it was that high on MVs was due to the well-known underated (load specifications) "hub" bearings they use. Perhaps not (the only?) reason after all ... You don't really want these things coming loose or off when attempting to break the speed of sound at every opportunity. :mrgreen:

Just a little reading above.

Wa2fst
Two wheeled terror

Postby Wa2fst » Tue May 20, 2014 1:19 pm

SDNerd wrote:

Didn't look ^^? Hardly $80 ... But whatever ... for 1 or 2 changes a year, maybe you should just pay your tyre guys to do the deed when you need it.

I cannot state what the torque spec is for the 1290's rear nut - is it really as high as the MVs'? FWIW, 220 NM is the same for an 1199 last I checked ... In any case - hardly "impossible".

Regardless - 60 ft-lbs isn't a "ton" of anything ... For even a conventional swingarm (many front axles as well), 60 ft-lbs would be a relatively low torque spec. A decent 1/2" drive "clicker" type torque wrench that goes up to 150 ft-lbs (205 nm) will set you back < $50. No, it won't be a Snap-On, or a come with a NIST-traceable calibration certificate.

You're not sending up satellites, so you don't need that kind of wrench for the two tyre changes you'll be doing a year. Hell, you can go down to your local Sears store and buy a digital-readout (presumably uses strain gauges) 1/2" drive 250 ft-lbs (340 NM) torque wrench for about $110.

Well a quick google currency converter will show 60 EUR converts to $82 USD. I know there are cheaper but that was based on that link. and yes torq that high is nearly impossible. 1. To remove that nut with a standard breaker bar 1' 1/2"L you end up lifting the bike off the ground just trying to break the original torq and defeats the whole purpose you can always have that fat chic from the night before sit on the bike after breakfast to help hold it down. 2. a normal torq wrench as you stated is about the same L as the breaker bar and yes its impossible to pull (left hand thread)that kind of torq back on the nut. Unless you get that chic who is presumably still around eating ho hos to lay on it one more time to torq it back down. So i would ASSume you have never changed a wheel on a SS or used a currency converter before. and as far as just letting the dealer do it I have 4 bikes that I use my breaker bar and torq wrench for. I just have to buy the right impact socket Im sure I could find for $40 on ebay.

Although these torques can be achieved they are nearly impossible to achieve on SS bikes. lastly when you get a chance a SS nut socket isnt like a standard swinging arm nut. they are short and thin half the battle is keeping the socket on the nut they like to slip off since it has barely anything to grab onto smash your hands into the exhaust hanger or better smash the whole set up into your nice finished wheels but practice makes perfect.

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]