Suspension set up help

For all 1290 related mods.
steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Re: Suspension set up help

Postby steveberde » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:56 pm

Vtwin addict wrote:I use Sport Riders magazine suggested suspension set-up for all my bikes.
Found them to be a excellent starting place for both of my Hondas, as well as the 08' SD.
Go to SportrIder.com Web site hit the tech section tab and then select the staff's suggested suspension settings table for the KTM Superduke 08'.
Good luck.
They don't have one for the 1290R yet.

Just curious about the Sport Rider suggested settings? Are these for the road or track? Obviously they'd be very different for most riders. I am 160 and went down to the softest setting KTM recommends and its still too firm - I was on a 75 mile very twisty VERY bumpy road last weekend and the bike
was rocking and rolling and quite unsettled on the bumps - It only has a few hundred miles on it and will definitely soften up as time goes on -

The KTM comfort settings are plenty stiff still and wondered what others have experienced - I/m reluctant to dial it softer at the risk of getting it out of whack - still I love the bike and can live with it as is
08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:53 am

Im same weight and run my bike very soft because the local roads are very bumpy and undulating and have patches of uneven tarmac and holes all over the place. I also run an adjustable steering damper set reasonably stiff to stop the bike shaking its head with the soft set up.
Don't worry too much about whats recommended, set your bike up to suit your weight and the road conditions you most ride on. Remember the goal is to try and keep the tyre in contact with the road surface as much as possible and make use of the best contact patch available for grip.
If I was too run the sport settings on my bike and ride hard on my test road it wouldnt be long before I was thrown into the trees :shock:
Good luck.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:12 am

abc wrote:Im same weight and run my bike very soft because the local roads are very bumpy and undulating and have patches of uneven tarmac and holes all over the place. I also run an adjustable steering damper set reasonably stiff to stop the bike shaking its head with the soft set up.
Don't worry too much about whats recommended, set your bike up to suit your weight and the road conditions you most ride on. Remember the goal is to try and keep the tyre in contact with the road surface as much as possible and make use of the best contact patch available for grip.
If I was too run the sport settings on my bike and ride hard on my test road it wouldnt be long before I was thrown into the trees :shock:
Good luck.

Thanks. I'm going to soften everything a bit more.
I know the feeling about being flung into the trees.
14 Superduke R black

harold
Minimoto racer

Postby harold » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:18 pm

What are you guys using to adjust the rear spring? My tool kit didn't come with that spanner, just the one for chain adjustment. I don't want to grip it with pliers and scratch the anodizing.

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:41 pm

I found that as well. Dealer took a couple cranks out of mine.
14 Superduke R black

Don
Two wheeled terror

Postby Don » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:26 am

Can someone please confirm what I am seeing from this link below, is the rear shock spring the same and interchangeable spring as a 990.

http://www.cross-roads.fr/pieces_et_accessoires/reference_ktm/91010078S.html

EDIT: CONFIRMED

Roadie
Minimoto racer

Postby Roadie » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:04 pm

Has anyone had luck finding a softer spring than what comes on the SDR stock (170-185)? I haven't had any luck finding one.
TIA.
2014 SDR
2008 GS1200
1999 996S
1993 GS100

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:39 am

Roadie wrote:Has anyone had luck finding a softer spring than what comes on the SDR stock (170-185)? I haven't had any luck finding one.
TIA.

See above post, same as 990!
You must be really light as the stock goes down to a 75 kg person. Whats that in burger weight 150lbs?
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Roadie
Minimoto racer

Postby Roadie » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:54 am

I am light at 125 lbs. But maybe not too light for the stock shock...
I'll keep playing with my adjustments.
2014 SDR
2008 GS1200
1999 996S
1993 GS100

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:03 am

Roadie wrote:I am light at 125 lbs. But maybe not too light for the stock shock...
I'll keep playing with my adjustments.

From my impression it is more the damping that is a bit funny. I'm 150 pounds or so (76kg) and the spring is wound up a fair bit to get the sag right and it steers very well. (About 20 mm from the top, I can measure properly if you want)
The damping however is set slightly softer than recommended road setting as the roads here are pretty rough.
It handles good but still have hard knocks when hitting some bigger bumps, which is a high speed and rebound setting that I can't dial out. If I try to it goes bad the other way, either harsh or pogo stick.
I'm not a suspension pro but I have a good feeling and I know how to set bikes up to a good standard.

Don has his suspension set up and revalved professionally and from the feedback the WP stuff is not as good as it should be.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

wsmc99
Minimoto racer

Postby wsmc99 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Roadie wrote:Has anyone had luck finding a softer spring than what comes on the SDR stock (170-185)? I haven't had any luck finding one.
TIA.

Look for your local Hyprecoil dealer. 07A1000 or 07A950 is as close as you get to stock being 971 lbs/in. At 125 you are probably looking for something in the 800-850# range.

Previous

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]