Suspension set up help

For all 1290 related mods.
Redcar525
Minimoto racer

Suspension set up help

Postby Redcar525 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:29 pm

Ok gents, have about 1500 miles on the SD and haven't touched the suspension yet. I am about 205 or so w/gear.
Spent the last 30k miles on a GS with button adjustable suspension. I'm not smart enough I'm afraid to screw with it and not make it worse. The SD without preload adjustment on the forks kinda messes up the instructions floating around the net on suspension set up.

It feels to me, when riding the backroads at pace that I use pretty much all the available fork travel. Especially under hard brakes. Would adjusting the rear shock perhaps help here? I'd love to pay a tuner to help me with a baseline setting. You'd think in this area of blacktop heaven, there'd be a suspension guru or two, but it know none.

Any recommendations of a starting point on the rear shock? Again, 215# w/ gear. Thanks mucho bunch!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: Suspension set up help

Postby ktmguy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:04 am

Redcar525 wrote:Ok gents, have about 1500 miles on the SD and haven't touched the suspension yet. I am about 205 or so w/gear.
Spent the last 30k miles on a GS with button adjustable suspension. I'm not smart enough I'm afraid to screw with it and not make it worse. The SD without preload adjustment on the forks kinda messes up the instructions floating around the net on suspension set up.

It feels to me, when riding the backroads at pace that I use pretty much all the available fork travel. Especially under hard brakes. Would adjusting the rear shock perhaps help here? I'd love to pay a tuner to help me with a baseline setting. You'd think in this area of blacktop heaven, there'd be a suspension guru or two, but it know none.

Any recommendations of a starting point on the rear shock? Again, 215# w/ gear. Thanks mucho bunch!

KTM's are on mostly setup for the average European, 80 to 85kg. Since you are a bit heavier you need to start with adding spring preload at the back as that will be too soft too.
The front springs don't have preload so you need to add some damping and some rebound, same for the back too. For a starter try the "track" settings as per manual.
See how you go from there. If too harsh back off a bit.
I like to have the bike balanced, like if you sit on it, the bike sag is the same front and back and the damping is similar too. You have to sit on it like you riding position to have a good result.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Towbar
Minimoto racer

Postby Towbar » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:48 am

Read this - slowly......! :D

http://ww.moto-racing.co.uk/suspension

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 am

ktmguy wrote:For a starter try the "track" settings as per manual.

I too was not happy with the 1290 on “Standard” suspension settings (I’m similar weight to you) but had my dealer change it to the KTM “Track” settings and it totally transformed the handling of the bike for me so I’d agree with ktmguy as that being a good place to start.

Redcar525
Minimoto racer

Postby Redcar525 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks Towbar & SDR,

The how to link was very informative and in depth. Thank you.....and no doubt, a good place to start is in the ktm supplied manual. Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:53 am

Redcar525 wrote:Thanks Towbar & SDR,

And KTMGUY! :evil:
You are aware that I'm a despotic president don't you?!
Expect a knock on the door soon! :wink:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Redcar525
Minimoto racer

Postby Redcar525 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:15 am

Oh snap! I didn't intend any disrespect. Sorry sorry.
THANK YOU "KTM Guy" ..... 8) you sir, are the sinkhole of info about our beloved 1290s"

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:07 am

Redcar525 wrote:Oh snap! I didn't intend any disrespect. Sorry sorry.
THANK YOU "KTM Guy" ..... 8) you sir, are the sinkhole of info about our beloved 1290s"

Knock on the door avoided... just! :lol:

Vtwin addict
Minimoto racer

Postby Vtwin addict » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:42 am

I use Sport Riders magazine suggested suspension set-up for all my bikes.
Found them to be a excellent starting place for both of my Hondas, as well as the 08' SD.
Go to SportrIder.com Web site hit the tech section tab and then select the staff's suggested suspension settings table for the KTM Superduke 08'.
Good luck.
They don't have one for the 1290R yet.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:19 pm

I don't have any immediate advice to offer of the nature "n clicks out rebound in front, n clicks out compression ... ". I don't know what it costs in your neck of the woods, but here - for usually $50 or less, you can a pretty decent "best effort" setup with stock bits, from your local, reputable, suspension house. At the same time, they will be able to advise you on what other (more expensive) changes might be needed to optimize your suspension for you, and your intended use of the bike. Pretty cheap really.

Vtwin addict wrote:I use Sport Riders magazine suggested suspension set-up for all my bikes.
Found them to be a excellent starting place for both of my Hondas, as well as the 08' SD.
Go to SportrIder.com Web site hit the tech section tab and then select the staff's suggested suspension settings table for the KTM Superduke 08'.

Their suggested settings are often pretty reasonable, as long as you don't have any suspension modifications already, the bike is fairly new, and you weigh between 160 and 175 Lbs.

They don't have one for the 1290R yet.
Actually, they do - they may not be online yet (I didn't bother to look, but will take your word for it), but they did publish their preferred settings as part of June's (2014) cover article and review of the 1290R.

Redcar525
Minimoto racer

Postby Redcar525 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks for all the help. I am going to fiddle this week. You'd think with all the great roads we have near here..(including the over rated "Dragon") we'd have an overload of suspension masters. That's not the case...but if you want stripes on your cruiser bike there's a hippie on every corner willing to help with that. I'd gladly pay a $50 fee for help from a knowledgeable source....there just isn't any I know of, and I searched around.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:48 pm

I found this to be one of the best free suspension guides on the net.
I believe Dave also goes to track days and races.
http://www.onthethrottle.com/category/howto/ask-dave/

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:22 pm

Redcar525 wrote:Thanks for all the help. I am going to fiddle this week. You'd think with all the great roads we have near here..(including the over rated "Dragon") we'd have an overload of suspension masters. That's not the case...but if you want stripes on your cruiser bike there's a hippie on every corner willing to help with that. I'd gladly pay a $50 fee for help from a knowledgeable source....there just isn't any I know of, and I searched around.

There's always - as others have suggested - RTFM (:wink:), and not knowing where your "around" is, others nor I can offer any suggestions as to where to get this done.

Yes, Dave's (Moss) videos can be useful - to a point, and some are now pay-per-view - which is lame. A lot of them however are very bike-specific, and often tuning is done, where substantial change to the suspension's hardware has taken place already.

I know that there are others on this site who have sent their SD stuff to his shop, "Catalyst Reaction" (http://www.crstuning.com/). I've seen the "Catalyst Reaction" crew at both race and track days - but I've never seen Dave ... Not to say he doesn't go. But his M.O. is more to get your stuff to his shop.

For one with no more than understanding than the fact that their motorcycle has suspension, I like to suggest this volume: "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" (http://www.bullpublishing.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=103 - I'm sure it's less on Amazon, etc.).

I'd start by trying to set the sag front and rear, which in front will likely involve having to remove the fork caps, and swapping the spacer for a longer one, and/or adding shims (large Diameter washers). Then, perhaps give the "sport" settings a go, and try to adjust from there, based on what you might read and/or learn in vids.

I wish you well with it.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 am

SDNerd wrote:Yes, Dave's (Moss) videos can be useful - to a point, and some are now pay-per-view - which is lame.

They used to be all free and I learned a lot from them. It does take some patience and nerve control to get past his "I like to hear myself talk" approach. I still have a twitch in the left eye which I attribute to that.
But all up his knowledge is sound, pity for the pay per view now.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:22 pm

ktmguy wrote:
SDNerd wrote:Yes, Dave's (Moss) videos can be useful - to a point, and some are now pay-per-view - which is lame.

They used to be all free and I learned a lot from them. It does take some patience and nerve control to get past his "I like to hear myself talk" approach. I still have a twitch in the left eye which I attribute to that.
But all up his knowledge is sound, pity for the pay per view now.

LOL - yes, Dave does like to hear himself talk - I've always thought the same thing ... Fortunately, they aren't all pay-per-view, only some. I stumbled on this recently, when out of curiosity, I wanted to know how people performed R&R on BPFs, and Dave says "$4.99 please". SDNerd says in response "Eff that - er, no thanks Dave".

Vtwin addict
Minimoto racer

Postby Vtwin addict » Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:13 am

Purchasing the "Motorcycle Suspension Bible" by Race Tech is also good value for the money ($24 on Amazon). I read it in it's entirety during my Jury duty day last year.
You then can correctly diagnose your feelings and feedback from the settings you have.
Only adjust one thing at a time prior to evaluating it and then moving on to another setting.
It will also help you when servicing suspension components, when needed.

Uplander
Minimoto racer

Postby Uplander » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 am

Towbar wrote:Read this - slowly......! :D

http://ww.moto-racing.co.uk/suspension

Great article!
2014 KTM SuperDuke R 1290
2003 Ducati 749

scotman623
Minimoto racer

Postby scotman623 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:07 pm

Set mine per Sport Rider magazine and really like the feel, taking it back to the track on August 16th. That will be the true test!!

FFlash
Two wheeled terror

Postby FFlash » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:14 pm

scotman623 wrote:Set mine per Sport Rider magazine and really like the feel, taking it back to the track on August 16th. That will be the true test!!

Could you post their settings?

Hotbrakes
Stunt rider

Postby Hotbrakes » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:32 pm

Here's a crappy screen shot.
SDVTRTLRRC51SDRRVTSVSMT

scotman623
Minimoto racer

Postby scotman623 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:27 am

FFlash wrote:
scotman623 wrote:Set mine per Sport Rider magazine and really like the feel, taking it back to the track on August 16th. That will be the true test!!

They fall between standard and sport settings..
Front
Compression damping also 9 clicks out from full stiff.
Rebound dampind-9 clicks out from full stiff
REAR
Spring preload-19mm thread showing on shock body, I left this stock.
Rebound damping-10 clicks out from full stiff.
high speed compression damping 1.5 turns out from full stiff.
low speed compression damping-12 clicks out from full stiff.....Took me under 20 minutes to complete this task...ENJOY.

Vogel822
Two wheeled terror

Postby Vogel822 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:24 pm

scotman623 wrote:
FFlash wrote:

Front
REAR
low speed compression damping-12 clicks out from full stiff.....Took me under 20 minutes to complete this task...ENJOY.

How are these settings!?

steveberde
Two wheeled terror

Postby steveberde » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:51 pm

The bottom line is weight has a tremendous amount to do with it as does whether the rider is a strictly road rider or track day user as well.

At 160 pounds with gear the factory suspension set up is not merely too stiff also the springs are too stiff and I'll only get it right by going with at least a softer rear spring. I did that on my 990 SD and most likely will need to that on the new one. It made a great difference back than and suspect the same will happen with this bike.
In addition I'd like to find a great 300 pd rider and let him ride the bike for a 100 miles to soften things up then check sag and more.

scotman623 wrote:
FFlash wrote:

Front
REAR
08 Superduke orange (totaled, deer strike)
14 Superduke R black

When you’re in jail good friends will come and bail you out.
Your BEST friends will be in the cell next to you saying,
“Damn, wasn’t that fun.”!

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm

Redcar525 wrote:Ok gents, have about 1500 miles on the SD and haven't touched the suspension yet. I am about 205 or so w/gear.

You don't start with one end, you do the whole.First, the sport settings are on the bottom of the seat, use them....you are nearly exactly my weight, the front springs are too soft, not by a lot, and it shouldn't be enough to matter off of the track.

Rear rebound "can" keep the nose from diving as much, but if you over do it, you risk packing, which induces an entire new set of issues, starting with the bike pushing wide.

Set the bike to the sport setting, and then adjust from there. I'm running the sport +3 clicks of front end compression and -2 high speed and and + 2 or 3 low speed compression and + 2 rebound in the rear, but then I ride the piss out of the front end. Just remember that the adjustments don't make the bike "hard or soft" they simply slow the stroke. Its a little more complicated with the triple clicker on the tail, and I'd likely spend a lot of time screwing with it at the track, but I haven't tracked it yet.

Uplander
Minimoto racer

Postby Uplander » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:29 pm

I spent two days at the track on my 749 with some suspension tuning help from the track side expert. When I got home and rode the KTM I felt like I was riding a pogo stick! Time for some tuning....

I live on a 1.5 mile private road with some bumps, nice turns, and some turns with bumps. My neighbors must be getting pretty annoyed by now, but I've got a great place to ride over and over again to test new settings.

I keep a long screw driver in my tail bag so I can keep tweaking it, but here's where I'm at right now.

I'm 190lbs out of the shower, not sure how much with leathers and helmet etc.
Rider sag is set to 28mm. 1 1/8"
Front compression: 6
Front rebound: 3
Rear compression: 7
Rear rebound: 1

I'm always seeking out twisties, avoiding the highway at all costs, so I prefer a stiffer ride. I find the stock sport recommendations to be too fast and mid-turn bumps upset the chassis.

To make sure my settings weren't taking me in the wrong direction I went back to the sport recommendations and have concluded they are flat out wrong for me. Hard to say how long it'll take me to get it perfect, but I'm very happy thus far!
2014 KTM SuperDuke R 1290
2003 Ducati 749

Next

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]