KTM 1290 stock exhaust mod

For all 1290 related mods.
Danish-Rider
Minimoto racer

KTM 1290 stock exhaust mod

Postby Danish-Rider » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm

I saw a site with a guy that described how he modified the stock exhaust by removing something inside it.

But of course now i can't find this info.

Can someone help ?
Peter From Denmark

ktm08
Two wheeled terror

Re: KTM 1290 stock exhaust mod

Postby ktm08 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 pm

1290Nerd
Minimoto racer

Postby 1290Nerd » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:09 am

Experience is something you gain just after you needed it.

Danish-Rider
Minimoto racer

Postby Danish-Rider » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:01 pm

YES, thank you 1290Nerd :D
Peter From Denmark

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Yes, I have done this rear silencer mod but I removed the whole inner tube so now the outlet is a single pipe and much bigger bore.
The sound is actually just right, it's not overly loud but has a nice deep tone and pops like hell when you shut off.
Result : )
Thanks go to kev!!
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:59 am

I'll be doing this mod tomorrow. :-)
Crash

2014 SDR

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am

HYPERMOTO wrote:Yes, I have done this rear silencer mod but I removed the whole inner tube so now the outlet is a single pipe and much bigger bore.
The sound is actually just right, it's not overly loud but has a nice deep tone and pops like hell when you shut off.
Result : )
Thanks go to kev!!

Bigger bore, you say?

Do you have pictures you can share? As best I can tell, the OD of that dB killer tube is about as large a bore as we're like to achieve unless we stretch the area where that tube 'attaches'. I'd be curious to see what you did.
Crash

2014 SDR

robban75
Two wheeled terror

Postby robban75 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:07 pm

I did just like HYPERMOTO yesterday but I haven't ridden it yet, but in the garage it sounds good.
:)
2014 superduke 1290R
Love the bike, hates the manufacturer!!!

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:37 pm

robban75 wrote:I did just like HYPERMOTO yesterday but I haven't ridden it yet, but in the garage it sounds good.
:)

Let's see this bigger bore you're both talking about.
Crash

2014 SDR

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:16 pm

I haven't worked out how to get pictures on here yet, sorry but check out: "Kev's 1290 modification list" page 9 to see what he removed.
I used a dremmel and it took about 10 small cutting discs as the stainless tube is hard to get through.
The tailpipe has two pipes, one inside the other but I cut mine a bit further out than Kev and I removed the whole of the inner pipe.
When you look inside the standard tailpipe you can see a weld ring about 3 inches in and if you make a neat cut just outside this ring around the whole pipe then the full inner tube will be removed, just don't cut too far through or you will be cutting into the perforated tube and ruin your exhaust. Look at Kevs pictures to guage the depth.
It really does sound much better and I doubt many people would want it any louder really.
I will post pictures once I have worked out how to do it!
DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:23 am

HYPERMOTO wrote:I haven't worked out how to get pictures on here yet, sorry but check out: "Kev's 1290 modification list" page 9 to see what he removed.
I used a dremmel and it took about 10 small cutting discs as the stainless tube is hard to get through.
The tailpipe has two pipes, one inside the other but I cut mine a bit further out than Kev and I removed the whole of the inner pipe.
When you look inside the standard tailpipe you can see a weld ring about 3 inches in and if you make a neat cut just outside this ring around the whole pipe then the full inner tube will be removed, just don't cut too far through or you will be cutting into the perforated tube and ruin your exhaust. Look at Kevs pictures to guage the depth.
It really does sound much better and I doubt many people would want it any louder really.

Oh I've already done it... hence the curiosity on how you managed to make the exit bore larger. The reason that dB killer pipe is so hard to cut is because it's titanium. However, that 'weld ring' you're talking about has an ID that's the same as the OD of the dB killer pipe. So unless you somehow figured out how to stretch that part of the muffler, you're still sending the exhaust through the same size orifice. (Thus why I wanted to see pictures.)

Removing the dB killer pipe on both sides of the 'weld ring' yields something that looks like this.

Crash

2014 SDR

robban75
Two wheeled terror

Postby robban75 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 am

2014 superduke 1290R

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 pm

Interesting, so you cut down that taper. From outer appearances, it looks as though that's part of what holds the perforated pipe together. Perhaps I'll need to do a bit more grinding.
Crash

2014 SDR

HYPERMOTO
Two wheeled terror

Postby HYPERMOTO » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:05 pm

aracheon wrote:
HYPERMOTO wrote:I haven't worked out how to get pictures on here yet, sorry but check out: "Kev's 1290 modification list" page 9 to see what he removed.

Oh I've already done it... hence the curiosity on how you managed to make the exit bore larger. The reason that dB killer pipe is so hard to cut is because it's titanium. However, that 'weld ring' you're talking about has an ID that's the same as the OD of the dB killer pipe. So unless you somehow figured out how to stretch that part of the muffler, you're still sending the exhaust through the same size orifice. (Thus why I wanted to see pictures.)

Removing the dB killer pipe on both sides of the 'weld ring' yields something that looks like this.

Look at robban75's pictures and you can see what needs cutting and where.
You just need to take a bit more out that's all.
It's difficult to see in your picture but have you removed the tube from inside the silencer as well?

DARE TO BE DIFFERENT

robban75
Two wheeled terror

Postby robban75 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 pm

The inner tube goes a bit past the tapered tube, I drilled out the rivets when I ran out of cutting discs for my dremel, much easier when you see what you are doing.
2014 superduke 1290R

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:59 pm

Was able to remove that tapered section with a 2.125" hole saw and my drill press. Took the rest of it down with a carbide grinder on the end of my Dremel.

All that's left to do now is sand the scratches out and polish it to a dull sheen. :D
Crash

2014 SDR

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Looks better like that, I have cut mine both sides, but still have the section in the middle as the pic above shows, looks better removed.

Does it make much difference to the sound like that?
Will have to remove mine like that and clean it up, looks a lot better

aracheon wrote:Image

Was able to remove that tapered section with a 2.125" hole saw and my drill press. Took the rest of it down with a carbide grinder on the end of my Dremel.

All that's left to do now is sand the scratches out and polish it to a dull sheen. :D

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:19 am

Pikey wrote:Looks better like that, I have cut mine both sides, but still have the section in the middle as the pic above shows, looks better removed.

The sound is pretty damn close, to be honest. Once the majority of the inner tube is removed, taking out the taper doesn't seem to enhance the sound or make it any louder. However, I'd be willing to bet it helps airflow a ton, and let's be honest, it looks a helluvalot better.

I took some grinding/polishing wheels to the scratches tonight, and it looks quite proper now.
Crash

2014 SDR

robban75
Two wheeled terror

Postby robban75 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:46 am

Went for a ride and I thought it was a little bit loud but I haven't decided yet, made a new db killer just a few mm smaller than the exhaust pipe that I will try first
2014 superduke 1290R

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:11 am

Took the hole saw to mine today and cut that last bit out, didn't make it any louder, bit changed the exhaust note quite a bit, is a deeper sound once you take that last bit out

Looks much better and as you say, it has got to help the air flow

aracheon wrote:
Pikey wrote:Looks better like that, I have cut mine both sides, but still have the section in the middle as the pic above shows, looks better removed.

The sound is pretty damn close, to be honest. Once the majority of the inner tube is removed, taking out the taper doesn't seem to enhance the sound or make it any louder. However, I'd be willing to bet it helps airflow a ton, and let's be honest, it looks a helluvalot better.

I took some grinding/polishing wheels to the scratches tonight, and it looks quite proper now.

Pikey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Pikey » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:51 am

Cut the last bit out of mine on the weekend

Link to video

mihalis-cy
Minimoto racer

Postby mihalis-cy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello from cyprus :)
Is any body can tell me after the db killer remove mod, what are the results,i mean does Pop to much or not ?? I like to do mine, sound great !!!

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:09 am

mihalis-cy wrote:Hello from cyprus :)
Is any body can tell me after the db killer remove mod, what are the results,i mean does Pop to much or not ?? I like to do mine, sound great !!!

Not too much.
Sounds a bit louder and the pop from the sas is louder too when you close the throttle.
Nothing bad, only a bit. Nicer than stock.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

mihalis-cy
Minimoto racer

Postby mihalis-cy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:38 pm

ktmguy wrote:

Not too much.
Sounds a bit louder and the pop from the sas is louder too when you close the throttle.

Thanks ktmguy !!

mihalis-cy
Minimoto racer

Postby mihalis-cy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:14 pm

mihalis-cy wrote:
ktmguy wrote:

Not too much.

Thanks ktmguy !!

Hello again,
i have another question,does it poop less if i close the sas air system or not

Next

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]