Screen on a screen

For all 1290 related mods.
ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Screen on a screen

Postby ma1290rky » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 am

I'm quite happy with the 1290 in full on naked mode, but for some longer touring rides I have planned where I'm trying not to use my BMW GS Adventure which is super comfy, I tried the PUIG screen which actually made things worse. Problem was the air was deflected up to the base of my crash helmet (Arai RX7) which is not the quietest helmet out there - it was rather unpleasant.

So rather than ditch the screen I put this little deflector on that I had lying about (was destined for the BMW but didn't suit the GS' screen profile) and now it works a treat. Bonus is that the PUIG is quick and easy to put on/off so doesn't have to stay there all the time.

I know there are mixed opinions about screens on the 1290, but in the flesh this looks OK and does the job - not for everyone perhaps and keeps the majority of the muck off clocks/rider if you're doing some proper mileage as I plan to..

fildigger
Minimoto racer

Re: Screen on a screen

Postby fildigger » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 pm

Looks Great :wink:

bodypilot
Minimoto racer

Postby bodypilot » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:58 pm

Oh man from my eyes it screams ugly. Does it work though? I am thinking about doing some mileage on my 1290 and the wind does give you a beating unless you ride boring slow :-(
too much too list anymore

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 pm

bodypilot wrote:Oh man from my eyes it screams ugly. Does it work though? I am thinking about doing some mileage on my 1290 and the wind does give you a beating unless you ride boring slow :-(

I think the naked SDR looks perfect, but to just make life easier for long distance this really does the job nicely. Without the second smaller screen it was horrible and worse than naked for me and my Arai.

This screen arrangement with a quiet helmet and ear plugs = KTM Super Tourer and it's good enough for me to let my BMW GS go.

So the SDR is a road bike, tourer and track bike all in one - what's not to like!

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Mon May 11, 2015 4:59 pm

I've binned the whole screen concept - the up draught into my helmet is just too much. Rode a bit today albeit slowly with no screen and it's better.

You live and learn - anyone want a cheap screen??

REDTALE2000
Two wheeled terror

Postby REDTALE2000 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Hey ma1290rky,
Your Photobucket link can't find the 1290 pix (a lot of Beemer pix tho). I'm curious to see what you did.
I've been using the MRA screen. Doesn't look half-bad and works nicely.
That being said, I recently had a bit of an epiphany regarding wind blast comfort: having had several Arai's over the years and loving the comfort (and looks), I had a chance to score a nearly new Schubert C3 Pro (for 30% of retail).
I got it mostly cuz I wanted to try out life with a modular helmet (opening chin bar). What I didn't expect was the HUGE difference in wind drag at speed. I'd actually decided I wasn't going to do any track days with the 1290 because I literally didn't think that I'd be able to keep my head attached to the rest of my body at at 150mph (neck injury years ago left me a bit "underperforming" in that area). With the Schuberth, 130mph is effortless (fastest it's seen so far) and whenever speed limits aren't an issue, I find I'm going everywhere 20 - 30 mph faster than I did with the Arai.
Now there may well be other helmets out there that "fly" as well as the Schuberth, I just haven't tried any. But I have been truly shocked by the difference.
Something to think about...
2014 1290 79K miles

Totto
Two wheeled terror

Postby Totto » Mon May 11, 2015 9:25 pm

Same here only in have the S2 and it has reduced the wind noise dramaticaly
But I still love my Arai it fits better than any other helmet for me anyway

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Tue May 12, 2015 4:06 am

Oh yes - I decided to sell my BMW and needed to post some pics - I'll try to remember to put some SDR pics back in.

I have been considering a Schubert S3 or a Shoei Neotec but I just love my Arai RX7. I'm not convinced about a flip front despite their popularity. Maybe I'll go try some on as it's interesting to hear your findings.

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]