Building a bellypan/sumpguard for the 1290

For all 1290 related mods.
abc
Stunt rider

Building a bellypan/sumpguard for the 1290

Postby abc » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:10 am

Its been raining here again so I have been quietly working away at the problem of not being able to buy a bellypan or sumpguard for the 1290.
So I decided to make a box under my bike and carefully cover my bike in tin foil to act as a release agent.
Packing the gaps to ensure no negative spaces that could lock the plug onto the bike
Covering with tin foil to reproduce the shape under the bike
Pouring the plug
The rough plug removed
Its such a good fit that it is self supporting when placed back under the bike - a good result.
Now I have to decide exactly what shape to make it because it is very difficult to make the prototype version on a street bike - who needs a sidestand anyway!
More to follow when I have more time but I already have the shits because its a lot of work and progress is slow because I have never done much work with these materials.
I hope the final will be in CF. If I get the shits too much I will just make one out of 6061 alloy and get it hard anodised in black.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 am, edited 7 times in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

abc
Stunt rider

Re: Building a bellypan/sumpguard for the 1290

Postby abc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:55 am

Once the female shape was formed i also made another plug that represents the actual shape of the bottom of the bike.
I have now started shaping the plug and it quickly becomes obvious that a bellypan like the prototype is impossible with the Akra system and a side stand. The big cutout on the stator side is to allow the use of the side stand. The finished item is going to be a sump/Akra guard and not a belly pan that can be used for racing - sorry guys :roll: My Akra pipes and resonator are getting trashed by being shot blasted by rubbish on the roads and will sooner or later erode and fail so at least this mod will stop that from happening.
Heaps of work still to be done to have the plug finished (harden surface and reinforce and strengthen shape etc) then its onto making the final mold and its flanges. I am not enjoying this part of the process - its slow and boring and I just want to get on and layup some CF - Im glad I dont do this stuff for a living. More later
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Pamuk
Minimoto racer

Postby Pamuk » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Get ready to make a few! I'm sure there will be some requests (pending the final result I suppose). Looking good so far, keep up the good work!
2004 625 SMC
2010 990 SM-T (Sold)
2014 300 XC-W
2015 Super Duke R

No. 47
Master of the twisties

Postby No. 47 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:49 pm

990 Replicast race belly pan assumes no sidestand and uses the sidestand fixings - with fixing bolt spacers, though, can fix both sidestand and race standard bellypan - also (just about) accommodates SDR headers also - so may be also possible for 1290?
'08 ex-Battle race KTM Superduke 990 R No.47
'08 OE KTM Superduke 990 R
'01 Ducati 996S

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:57 pm

This is my cheap ass compass, I used a bolt head that I found in my shed, cut it off the bolt and centre punched it to centre my compass :lol:
Slow progress. Plug is now getting thinner by the minute and now that I have poured the mating plug it is going to help keep the shape stable whilst I finish the shape then do it all again with the bondo :( .

Leonidas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leonidas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:15 pm

Nice to see someone working on a bellypan for the 1290. Looks nice and neat. Have you checked the ground clearence you get with the bellypan on?

Great job whatsoever, looking forward to seeing the end product. Hope you can make some extra, so that we can get our hands on it as well 8)

A Duc and a Duke --> Blessed :mrgreen:
Still miss my 990 SDR...

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:03 am

I am using this image as worst case and estimate there to be about 10mm clearance. My guard will still have clearance at these lean angles but maybe only 5mm when finished and fitted. Its the rear cylinder pipe under the bike that is the biggest issue so any bellypan will have to hug this pipe in that one spot then the rest can have a stand off of 10-15mm to allow for airflow and heat transfer.
The other side is better for clearance as shown below.
BUT keep in mind that I am designing for street riding so I will not see these lean angles very often. :roll:

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri May 01, 2015 7:38 am

Shaping nearly finished. I wanted to keep my ti pipes exposed so had to cut the shape back on the side where the front header runs
Then I tried to keep to a "prototype like" design on the other side except I had to spend a lot of time making allowance for the side stand and I wanted the guard to cover the leading edge of the Akra resonator. Time, time, time............
Now its onto the bondo then another week of shaping :cry:
The finished pan/guard will follow the outside of this foam plug for those that are not familiar with plug design. More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu May 14, 2015 6:51 am

This is the plug now covered in Bondo. Spent a week just sanding this piece of sh1t . Slow progress.
I have to find more time so I can make quicker progress on the moulds.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu May 14, 2015 8:41 am

Starts to have a nice shape! Looks good.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Leonidas
Two wheeled terror

Postby Leonidas » Thu May 14, 2015 11:25 am

Looking great!
If you use CF, then you ll have the chance to make it much thinner, mount it closer to the exhaust without heating issues and get some more ground clearance. Great job once again!

A Duc and a Duke --> Blessed :mrgreen:
Still miss my 990 SDR...

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri May 15, 2015 1:01 am

I am planning on the final guard to be layed up out of CF. I think I worked out the other day that with the number of layers needed it will be about 2-2.5mm thick when finished and you are indeed correct, I plan on mounting the guard much closer than it is shown in the pics.
Its just a pain that it takes sooooo long to finish all this by hand. A decent scanner arm and 3D printer and a CAD file would have seen this part finished in a day! Hopefully unit prices on these will slowly come down and be available to those of us that spend their time building sh1t. I have a cheap scanner available but its resolution is crap and its scan map is only 100mm x 100mm. I can also get access to a 3D printer but the layer materials are still too expensive if you want anything that does serious work. So its more hand finishing for me :(

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Mon May 18, 2015 11:29 pm

I'm glad to see you're taking your time to make one of these. I made a prototype ram-air airbox on my 990 (similar to what GoGo did with his old one.) I can appreciate the amount of time and works it takes to make something like this - and am equally excited to see how yours turns out. Might inspire me to make one of my own. :)
Crash

2014 SDR

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri May 22, 2015 4:11 am

Here's the "how to" for the next step.
Now that the plug final shape is determined i will spray 2 - 4 coats of high build clear and then take that surface to final finish with fine paper and polish. I chose this clear because it is designed to be used on floors, is compatible with the other products I am using and dries very hard because it is designed to be walked on. And it can be sanded. This is what I used.
This next shot shows the finish off the gun prior to another round of sanding. The small pin holes have to be removed because the finish you see on the plug will be the same finish that will be on the mould and the finish on the mould will reflect the finish on the carbon fibre lay up and CF looks like sh1t if it has faults in the surface or the weave.
Once this part is done I can then move onto building the flanges for the vacuum bag etc etc once I spend a little time thinking about what to do next :?
I have started to fabricate the mounts and am trying to work out exactly how to mount the finished guard - still heaps to do :cry:
More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Fri May 22, 2015 7:07 am

Great Job Mate!!!

cheeheese
Two wheeled terror

Postby cheeheese » Fri May 22, 2015 8:25 am

I think the biggest problem with this bellypan is that I'm going to want one...

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Fri May 22, 2015 8:32 am

Looks good!
Better make the mold really good as you'll be making a few! :wink:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:38 am

I have started to build the flanges by bonding hard foam blocks around the cut line of the final mould.
Roughly sanded to shape
Flanges final shape with mould inserts finished. You can now see how it will all go together in the vacuum bag and the bottom will strengthen the thin top whilst everything is under vacuum pressure
My guard and it mating parts nearly ready for next stage.
Ok so this is what it looks like when assembled. The newly built flanges will allow the CF to drape past the cut lines of the bellypan. I will fill the cut line with clay so I have an inbuilt marker in the final mould of where to cut the final shape. So the small gaps where the 2 parts meet are designed to be there to make my life easier after final lay up so I know where to cut off overlap of CF.
All this fecking around and still no final part to make my guard :cry:
Sorry for the long post.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I want one in CF!!!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:34 am

Sully wrote:I want one in CF!!!

So do I, thats why i am spending half my life making one :( but I'm sure someone in china will come up with something you can buy and bolt on..............

Sully
Two wheeled terror

Postby Sully » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:48 am

abc wrote:
Sully wrote:I want one in CF!!!

So do I, thats why i am spending half my life making one :( but I'm sure someone in china will come up with something you can buy and bolt on..............

Everyone wants the Belly pan from the prototype, but no one will make it. Of course you've seen the garbage thats out so far.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:48 am

No one is likely to make a bellypan the same as the works one because it won't fit with most exhaust systems and fitting the works pipes will likely see you thrown in jail for disturbing the peace. Everyone seems to think "I want a works bellypan" but if they give it some thought they will soon realise that it is not suitable. Even with the upswept AR pipe the works pan just doesn't match. The works pan is specifically for the works pipes and its not until you have to work out the best design and fitting do you realise that there are many problems with trying to duplicate the works pan.
If ktm were to list a bellypan as a power part I wouldn't be surprised if it was around $1500- $2000 for one that fits with the akra system and side stand.
No easy solution really and no short cuts to produce a quality CF product of this type.
I won't ever do this again because of the amount of time needed to produce something that is acceptable to bolt to my bike. I will never get payed for my time invested even if I were to sell a few to desperate 1290 owners so its a labour of love for me and many times I have thought of shelving the project and making one out of 6061 and having it powder coated or even cover it in CF :cry:

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:57 pm

Saw this online and thought it might fit...http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 21301....I would love to be able to make things like you are but unfortunately I am just useless at it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:40 am

Link not showing anything mate.

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:41 am

You could always sell the jig you make to others so they can make their own. Eventually it would become a right of passage for 1290 owners to have used the legendary jig!
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

Next

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]