Building a bellypan/sumpguard for the 1290

For all 1290 related mods.
GJB
Minimoto racer

Re: Building a bellypan/sumpguard for the 1290

Postby GJB » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Excellent work! You have inspired me to head to the work shop today and begin work on a chin fairing. The bike definitely needs something to hide the engine lump, I like the look of a small chin fairing vs bellypan.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 am

It all came apart pretty well.
Not bad for a backyard job
Its a large surface area of carbon
Next is cutting to the final shape with reference to the engine bits so it looks like it was made for it 8)
Then onto the new mount design and build and chop vents into the pan and make the mesh etc
More later
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Mr_Trecolareco
Wheelie king

Postby Mr_Trecolareco » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:00 pm

:shock: :o 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

looks great
Um abraco e mto boas curvas!! :)

aracheon
Two wheeled terror

Postby aracheon » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Excellent work. I love following this thread.
Crash

2014 SDR

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:05 am

This is what you need if you are going to cut carbon fiber
This is how I marked out the cut out to suit the guard position in relation to the motor
The finished cut out
Everything cut out and ready to start figuring out the mounts
More later
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:09 am

After a few hours massaging the shape it seems to fit OK
The shape follows the pipes nicely
And the overall fit is good
This design suits the bike heaps better.
Now its onto cutting the vents in the front and sides and drilling drain holes.
More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonk
Minimoto racer

Postby jasonk » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:04 am

That looks brilliant! Quick question: would this fit the stock pipe?

Scotty
Two wheeled terror

Postby Scotty » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:01 am

Just out of interest, have you kept track of the cost of this first unit in terms of man hours? I guess it'd be a pretty scary number. Is the plan to fine tune the process and design and go into low volume production? What you wouldn't want is for one to end up in China where it would be scanned and copied and they'd start churning them out by the hundreds - though if they researched the business model thoroughly they learn that the market is relatively limited. Given the relatively small market the cost of a patent and the aggro of chasing up Chinese infringements of it would be prohibitive.
Back to the unit itself, that looks an excellent job, really smart
Keep the updates coming, it's a fascinating read.
Wheelies - they ARE big, and they ARE clever....

Markey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Markey » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:17 am

Well worth all the effort you've put in fair play ....

Looks perfect on the bike and I would buy one if they were for sale

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:19 am

Will my guard fit the stock pipes? NO its designed and built from scratch to suit the full Akra system. Sorry about that!

How many man hours? You are right the number would be obscene. Put it this way, I started all this sh1t about 1 year ago and have been working on it fairly intensively since the start, with about 3 months off somewhere in the middle. and I used that time to enjoy riding and making up for all the late nights in my shed.

My plan at the moment is to finish the design versions until Im happy, what I do then is unknown as I have a job that is mad busy and making these for others will just see me burnt out from overload. I am going to retire early at the end of the year so maybe I will make a limited number when I am not working so much. I still don't know what to do but I can tell you that when I put a price of over 3K on my guards and their complicated mounts and do a limited production run of maybe 10 units, everyone will be critical of the price because they don't fuly understand the effort involved because everything that comes out of my shed is handmade, so maybe thats enough reason for me to not produce any even in limited numbers - its a hard decision to make and one I can't make whilst Im still in the prototype stage madness.

I do hold a number of national and international patients and its extremely expensive and as you say difficult to police and impossible to stop someone ripping off my designs. i have had it happen before and it seems to be getting pretty common - some people just want the profits without having to make any effort - disappointing!
The hardest path always brings the most reward - but these narrow minded rip off artists will never experience the satisfaction of designing and building to an effective outcome :roll:

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, I appreciate it.

iannowi
Two wheeled terror

Postby iannowi » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Markey wrote:Well worth all the effort you've put in fair play ....

why doesn't that suprise me one tiny bit, :wink: seeing as you seem to have bought just about every possible accessory for the bike.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:14 am

Today I marked out and cut the vent holes ready to fit the mesh. I used tape as a template and drilled the corners with a 4mm drill and cut the straight edges with a diamond slitting saw. I was able to sand the edges to finish with 180 grit paper and finished the corners with a needle file. Small radius in the corners of the cutouts are better to reduce the likelihood of cracking.
I was able to use the original mounts and modify them to suit this version - they are not perfect but will do for this quick fit job.
Next is make another template out of paper and cut the mesh to suit, then paint it white and epoxy it into position.
More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reevus
Two wheeled terror

Postby Reevus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:45 am

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Markey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Markey » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:30 am

iannowi wrote:
Markey wrote:Well worth all the effort you've put in fair play ....

why doesn't that suprise me one tiny bit, :wink: seeing as you seem to have bought just about every possible accessory for the bike.

Can't take it with you son and only passing through we are.... Enjoy!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:29 am

Mesh cut and fitted today to allow for cooling in the Oz heat.
Next is put heat proof tape along inside face where pipes run close to the guard
Getting close to final fitting.

mxpower918
Minimoto racer

Postby mxpower918 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Omg man just stop teasing us and make a load and sell them, everyone here is waiting and screaming in anticipation for that one word.....for sale!
God you make loads and make a lot of guys happy..
I'll give you $500 for ya first one???

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:07 am

You might notice that this is a "how to do it" thread not a "for sale" thread.
I have very kindly taken the time and made considerable effort to provided you with all the necessary instruction so you can make your own without all the trial and error as I have done that for you as well. I have documented everything for you to save you time and money.

To make my bellypans turns out to be very time consuming and you assume I will be making a heap of money if I sell them, well my friend you are very wrong, there is very little profit margin even when the moulds are finished, the amount of labour is crazy especially for small production runs as I can't buy the materials in bulk.
To give you more of an idea, I am currently post curing the carbon bellypan to de stress the resins. This needs to be done in an industrial oven over 8 hours in incremental steps and stops the infusion resin from cracking as it is heat cycled but the pipes. This process is relatively easy yet still costs me around $350 bucks and a days labour!
I am afraid that your $500 will not even cover the costs of your first layup so that is something you should be aware of if you're so desperate to cover your sump.

One of these days you will be able to buy something out of china for your $500 and you will unfortunately get what you pay for - just think back to the time when the Chinese decided to produce their version of the Akra system for the 1290 - one look will show you that you get what you pay for!
i can't compete with the production volumes nor the labour cost that exist overseas and most times I won't even get out of bed for $500 :roll:

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:56 am

On the home straight - nearly finished
Not too bad
Fitted well
And I'll call it done for now
And it suits the bike design better.
Maybe more later!
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Max78
Minimoto racer

Postby Max78 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:27 am

8) Nice job !

Sharp Look !

SD05
Two wheeled terror

Postby SD05 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:29 am

Fantastic result, well done you.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:28 am

WOW!!!!!

LiferLance990
Two wheeled terror

Postby LiferLance990 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:32 am

If I had a 1290, I would offer you $500 to borrow to mold to copy for my own version. I'd price a hand made pan as worth $1.8-2k and say it's fair for me, but I can't afford to pay what it is really worth.
2007 Super Duke
Akra Evo w/o baffles
Evap removed
Akra Smooth map
Battlax BT003s
Top Block Sliders

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:13 am

Yep thats the problem - this sh1t costs a lot of money no matter how you look at it :(
I am currently trying to negotiate a much better price on the raw materials to try and bring the costs down. Very expensive for small orders but better the bigger you go. If I ever do make some for others they will still be around +2K and that is still crazy.
i will also look at Kevlar to see if that is cheaper again but have to make one to test if it works with the same resins and vac infusion method - more f*ing around. Kevlar would look mad too 8)

GJB
Minimoto racer

Postby GJB » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:01 am

Carbon cloth and epoxy resin are relatively cheap. Less than $30 in materials for something this size. The cost is in the labour. Kevlar is very difficult to work with and while it has great abrasive resistance properties, it does not have great stiffness properties. You also need the edges to be finished as the part comes out of the mold. It does not cut/sand very well You end up with fuzzy edges. If you are looking to save a few bucks would be better off to go with carbon outer layer for looks, and fiberglass inner layers for cost savings.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:30 am

I definitely cant get my carbon for that cheap, maybe its because i am in Oz. Currently its more than twice that per meter and i use 6 layers and 2 layers of basalt. i can only get 1 layer per meter into the mold because of the shape and flange area and I need that extra area for the vac infusion :?
The biggest outlay is indeed in the labour and Im trying to find ways to streamline the whole process without compromising on quality but shortcuts are hard to find with this stuff.
If I make a Kevlar one it will only be the outer skin so stiffness should be ok. It was just an idea and I havent committed to anything yet.

PreviousNext

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]