How to: Coolant flush and change for the 1290 SDR

For all 1290 related mods.
The12thTinkerer
Minimoto racer

How to: Coolant flush and change for the 1290 SDR

Postby The12thTinkerer » Sat May 30, 2015 1:35 am

This is a how to flush and change the coolant on the 1290 Superduke R, it includes raising the front end 50 cm 19.7 in
and bleeding the cooling system. I used the service manual for most part but it does not cover flushing or needed details
about the bleeding process .

Things you will need:
1. KTM 1290 Superduke R, 2 Gallons of Distilled water, Your choice of coolant. I used Motorex M5.0 coolant 3.20 L 3.38 qt. Tools from the 1290's spare tool kit.

2. A way of raising and supporting the front end 50 cm 19.7 in. This is how I did mine just stacked some 4x4's a couple old wood box steps and an
old motorcycle ramp cut under 4' to keep the rear wheel on the ground. And I used 2 motorcycle straps to help hold it securely in place.

Step 1. Start with a cool motorcycle! Remove the spoiler from both sides, we need access to the radiator cap and radiator bleed screw.

Step 2: Drain the coolant/flush the system.
Place a suitable container under the engine, locate the water pump and remove the drain screw.
Loosen the radiator cap slowly and completely drain the coolant, rocking the bike side to side then leaning it to the right
helps just be careful it's heavy. Now flush with distilled water until it comes out clear.
Put the drain screw back in and completely fill the radiator with distilled water, put the radiator cap on and tighten it.
Now start the bike to circulate the Distilled water through the system, let it warm up a little then shut it off and allow it to cool
down!
When it's cooled off just repeat Step 2 untel only clear water drains out then put the drain screw back in.
Now locate the compensating tank and pull it off toward the bottom and maneuver it out, remove the cap and
turn the compensating tank upside down to drain into the container. Pour a little distilled water into it then drain into the
container again then re mount the compensating tank.

Step 3: Raise the front of the bike 50 cm 19.7 in and secure it against rolling. 50 cm 19.7 in must be reached in order to
properly bleed the system and get all the air out!

Step 4: Adding coolant/bleeding the cooling system.
Remove the radiator cap the radiator bleed screw and the 2 bleed screws located on the cylinder heads left and
right sides of the bike then the water pump drain screw.

Right side

Left side

Step 5: Now add a little coolant untel the color draining out the water pump drain hole is the same color as going in the radiator
and without air bubbles then put the drain screw back in and tighten it.

Slowly add coolant untel it comes out the radiator bleed hole and cylinder bleed holes clear and without air bubbles. It helps
to rock the bike side to side and squeeze the coolant hoses while adding coolant to get air pockets out. When it no longer has air bubbles
put the bleed screws back in and tighten them. Now completely fill the radiator with coolant but don't put on the cap yet.

Step 6: Pull off the compensating tank again and remove the cap, add coolant until it is between the MIN and MAX
then put the cap on. Re mount the compensating tank.

Step 7: Start the bike and add coolant to the radiator as it goes down until it's full then put the cap on and tighten it, let the
bike warm up and blip the throttle a few times to help circulate the coolant. Shut the bike off, let it cool down then check and add coolant
to the radiator and compensating tank if needed.
Put the spoiler's back on clean up the mess and go for a ride! just check the coolant levels over a week or so and if no change all
should be good.
I hope this how to is helpful to someone!
The Tinkerer :mrgreen:
2014 KTM 1290 Superduke R Black
2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE Green
2009 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Raven Black RIP got crunched wit me on it! By huge mot err home thangy! Hurt ed!

scamb66

Re: How to: Coolant flush and change for the 1290 SDR

Postby scamb66 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:14 am

Nice write up Tink, will be helpful come time for a change.
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

alobar
Two wheeled terror

Postby alobar » Sat May 30, 2015 7:08 am

cool post mate!

much appreciated!

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sun May 31, 2015 2:06 am

Nice write up and VERY nice pics.

One thing I would ad is in my "How to: Cooling system flush" for the 990; to fill with distilled water/ white distilled vinegar to clean the system prior to rinsing and then refilling with your favorite coolant. In my case Engine Ice.

Sarasota_Steve wrote:
After the old coolant drained, I reinstalled the bolt on top of the radiator and the drain bolt and filled the system (Very very slowly), with a 50/50 mix of white distilled vinegar and distilled water, as per Motorcycle Consumer News May of 2013 (Coolant System Flush) to clean the system. I let it get up to temperature (I actually confirmed that the fan kicks in earlier) and shut if off.
I tried to let the bike cool down (All of this is happening as the bike is hanging from the rafters), and refilled with distilled water to flush any remnants from the vinegar/distilled water. So bike up to temperature, fan kicks on again and shut off.
Flush the water out, button everything up and filled with Engine Ice ($20/jug) and you only need one. I had the bike running while I filled with coolant to make sure air bubbles are not being trapped.
I will check coolant level later today, and go for a 200 mile ride tomorrow to make sure all is good.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

jmann

Postby jmann » Sun May 31, 2015 5:24 am

Comrade The12thTinkerer: Thanks for that. That's what this forum is all about :D

The12thTinkerer
Minimoto racer

Postby The12thTinkerer » Sun May 31, 2015 5:46 am

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!
Sarasota_Steve thanks for the added info! I just did the how to but i'm by no means an expert so I encourage
others to please add to it, thats what it's for.
2009 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 Raven Black RIP got crunched wit me on it! By huge mot err home thangy! Hurt ed!

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:27 pm

The12thTinkerer:

I'm just about to refill and bleed my system and I have a couple of questions for you on your experience of doing it.

1. is it ok to run the bike at that angle for that length of time?

2. Once you fill the system and your running the bike, the thermostat opens and the level in the radiator drops. While its running, you top the radiator back up, just before you put the cap back on do you slacken the radiator bleed screw again to make sure there is no air trapped in there or just replace the cap?

thanks again for a great post.

SDNerd
Master of the twisties

Postby SDNerd » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:02 am

coach wrote:The12thTinkerer:

I'm just about to refill and bleed my system and I have a couple of questions for you on your experience of doing it.

2. Once you fill the system and your running the bike, the thermostat opens and the level in the radiator drops. While its running, you top the radiator back up, just before you put the cap back on do you slacken the radiator bleed screw again to make sure there is no air trapped in there or just replace the cap?

Nice write-up, but I have to wonder how many miles are on this bike that necessitated this - ?

Regardless: 1. Yes, it's OK, dry sump oil system; 2. You want to bleed, but no matter what you do, there will always be some - albeit little - air in the cooling system.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:40 am

Now I remember what this website is all about. Nice write up and I am sure it will get good use in times to come.
Thanx Tinkerer, I ring the Tinkerbell :lol:
I'm BLUE

Markey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Markey » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:38 am

Great post dude! :D

cheeheese
Two wheeled terror

Postby cheeheese » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:54 am

This is awesome! Thanks, T12T.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:16 am

All good stuff but why on earth do you need to change the coolant??

coach
Minimoto racer

Postby coach » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:01 pm

ma1290rky wrote:All good stuff but why on earth do you need to change the coolant??

I accidently put a hole in my radiator and had to remove it to have it repaired, so that's why I ended up reading this thread.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

coach wrote:
ma1290rky wrote:All good stuff but why on earth do you need to change the coolant??

I accidently put a hole in my radiator and had to remove it to have it repaired, so that's why I ended up reading this thread.

Is SuperDan making radiator covers for the 1290 ?

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24951
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

Wirinfrenzy
Minimoto racer

Postby Wirinfrenzy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:40 am

May need to get rid of the anti freeze for track regulations.

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Postby kevxtx » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:40 am

After having electrolysis destroying my 1290 radiator after 20 months, I would advise everyone to do a coolant flush every 12 months. KTM came to the party & replace mine under warranty, prevention is better than the unknown sneaking up on you.

The12thTinkerer
Minimoto racer

Postby The12thTinkerer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:18 am

coach wrote:The12thTinkerer:

Hi, in Step 7 I do this before putting the radiator cap on and before thermostat opens, it will bubble over and you will have to put the cap on
well before it gets hot enuff for the thermostat to open and the fans kick on. I open that bleed screw before the cap goes on and also after the bike has completely cooled off
while i'm topping the radiator up again.
2009 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue

The12thTinkerer
Minimoto racer

Postby The12thTinkerer » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:39 am

I got the bike from dealer in another state, it was new only 4 miles but when I got it home the compensating tank
was dry! just a little red coolant in the bottom so pulled the radiator cap and couldn't see any coolant. dealer I got
it from had no idea what the red coolant was. I like to know what fluids are in my bike so thats why I changed it.
2009 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:20 am

The12thTinkerer wrote:

I got the bike from dealer in another state, it was new only 4 miles but when I got it home the compensating tank
was dry! just a little red coolant in the bottom so pulled the radiator cap and couldn't see any coolant. dealer I got
it from had no idea what the red coolant was. I like to know what fluids are in my bike so thats why I changed it.

Makes perfect sense and you're right to know what's in your pride and joy.

I find that the small header tank needs to be kept really low as on track the extra temperatures will have coolant spitting out of the overflow onto your left boot and rear tyre - not ideal. At the superduke track day I noticed several bikes were the same - so if you're going on track keep it low..

ilmothefinn
Minimoto racer

Postby ilmothefinn » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 am

Funny I happen to find this topic now, a day after we visited dealership to look closer at one adventure engine taken off the frame and to realise the factory (?) service manual (that is downloadable somewhere as a pdf-file or xml-file) shows wrong (service manual side 228 3rd and 4th pic from the top)... The 8mm bolts that are to be opened at the cylinder heads are the second ones from the right (just as this topic and its pictures correctly show - so you see everything the manufacturer says or shows might not be absolute!) - those registered in USA seem to have already at 2015 a vacuum line connected there (for the charcoal canister?) but our european ones have just a 8mm bolt and a copper washer there...

It's easy to look when the engine is on a bench that which bolts lead into coolant passages and which into intakes but not easy to look when bike is at garage floor and engine there where it belongs...

So thanks for the topic, fine pictures! We bought a 1 ton chain hoist (about 35eur) so easy to lift the front end. First we did it with (the other bike) rachet gargo belts but it's easy to lift but pain to get down...
Each day I try to live for me.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:02 pm

Great write-up, Thanks mate!!!

SUPERDUKEINOZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 pm

ilmothefinn wrote:Funny I happen to find this topic now, a day after we visited dealership to look closer at one adventure engine taken off the frame and to realise the factory (?) service manual (that is downloadable somewhere as a pdf-file or xml-file) shows wrong (service manual side 228 3rd and 4th pic from the top)... The 8mm bolts that are to be opened at the cylinder heads are the second ones from the right (just as this topic and its pictures correctly show - so you see everything the manufacturer says or shows might not be absolute!) - those registered in USA seem to have already at 2015 a vacuum line connected there (for the charcoal canister?) but our european ones have just a 8mm bolt and a copper washer there...

It's easy to look when the engine is on a bench that which bolts lead into coolant passages and which into intakes but not easy to look when bike is at garage floor and engine there where it belongs...

So thanks for the topic, fine pictures! We bought a 1 ton chain hoist (about 35eur) so easy to lift the front end. First we did it with (the other bike) rachet gargo belts but it's easy to lift but pain to get down...

Yes exactly the manual shows the wrong screws to bleed the system, looking at each side the manual shows the screws on the right as the bleed screws but its actually the bleed screws on the left

crikks11
Minimoto racer

Postby crikks11 » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 pm

Great write up. Thank you.
2007 990 SD
2015 1290 SDR

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Sat May 05, 2018 3:04 am

Great write up. Helped a lot with the pictures.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]