O-rings breaking off...

For all 1290 related mods.
Tete
Minimoto racer

O-rings breaking off...

Postby Tete » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 pm

Has anyone else had problems with the chain? My SDR had about 10000 km on it, when one day I was cleaning the chain, I saw something "hanging" between the links.
First I thought it's just something I picked up while driving a bit "offroad". But, to my surprise it was a broken o-ring!?
And since that there has been many more, not knowing how many just break and fall off...
Maybe I'm not the busiest chainoiler, I usually oil it every 1000 km, but still this seems weird. In my previous CB1000R the chain lasted 35000 kms, with the same oiling methods...

I have booked a service time to the local KTM-dealer, to get the chain and sprockets changed. Got the orange 8) Enuma-chain for it, with standard gearing. I first thought, I would drop one tooth, but after reading people's experiences here, I decided against it...
The dealer sent a warranty-request to KTM, it's nice to hear their opinion.
1290 Super Duke -14

ktmguy
Site Admin

Re: O-rings breaking off...

Postby ktmguy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:26 pm

No problems with this either on my '14 or '15 bike, as far as I know neither from others on the forum here.
These oe chains are actually pretty good!
Could it be that someone has the wrong product to clean it? Maybe not you but at the dealers.
The other thing that's really bad is steam cleaning or hot water blasting. It blows crap and water behind the O-rings which completely destroys the chain and o-rings.
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:24 am

Actually no-one else but me has cleaned the chain. And I have been using the Motorex Chain Cleaner, which at least before, hasn't caused any problems...
And only wiping it with some rags, not even using brush or anything.. :?
But. Hopefully the new chain will last a bit longer... We shall see! :wink:
1290 Super Duke -14

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:42 am

Tete wrote:Actually no-one else but me has cleaned the chain. And I have been using the Motorex Chain Cleaner, which at least before, hasn't caused any problems...

It's the motorex chain cleaner then! I'm not convinced the motorex products are that good anyway!
Just look at the chain lube, flings off like no tomorrow. Get the half the cost silcolene gel and it's all perfect!
Not to mention the price of the oil! Oil of Switzerland... my ass, they don't have any oil there!! :lol:
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:38 am

ktmguy wrote:
Tete wrote:Actually no-one else but me has cleaned the chain. And I have been using the Motorex Chain Cleaner, which at least before, hasn't caused any problems...

It's the motorex chain cleaner then! I'm not convinced the motorex products are that good anyway!
Just look at the chain lube, flings off like no tomorrow. Get the half the cost silcolene gel and it's all perfect!
Not to mention the price of the oil! Oil of Switzerland... my ass, they don't have any oil there!! :lol:

..clever folks the Swiss - they don't have any sea being land locked but still won the Americas Cup!

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:49 pm

When it starts... :roll:
Been at the dealer today and got the new chain on and what's even better: KTM was on the same page with me about o-rings breaking after 10000 km's being abnormal and paid for the service and even promised to refund me since I already bought the new parts elsewhere... :shock:
And at the same time they fixed the steering head bearing, since I told them it felt bit loose... under braking, the front juddered a bit. I'll be keeping an eye on that too! Making sure, it's not brake disc-related...
And during the same visit, I got information about my bike being one needing some work with the fuel tank... They will inform me when to get the bike in.
And since my rear hub has started to have the all too common symptoms, they tightened it according the new specs... I will keep checking it, since I don't believe it will be good for long.

But, all and all, I have to say, so far, I'm very very happy how the local KTM-dealer (Bike World) and KTM-Finland have handled the problems. Especially after reading about problems with warranty issues all over the world!
Of course, in a bike costing 22000 euros, you would expect to be no problems at all, but people with italian, austrian and such bikes, have been telling me: "It just has character!", for years. So I guess, everything is as supposed to! :lol:
1290 Super Duke -14

Heipaal
Two wheeled terror

Postby Heipaal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:38 pm

You oil your chain every 1K kilometer?

I think that is your problem right there......

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Heipaal wrote:You oil your chain every 1K kilometer?

I think that is your problem right there......

Yeah, perhaps...
What's enough for Honda, probably ain't for KTM... :|
I guess I have to step up my oiling then!
1290 Super Duke -14

wills
Minimoto racer

Postby wills » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Funny I noticed a couple of ruptured rings as well. Use PJ 1 chain lube and clean with rag every 500 miles. Never had chain issues on any other bike, wonder who makes this one? Of course bike is out of that "generous" warranty with 10,500 miles, oh well. Easy job to change chain, could be worse.
Touring the West Coast

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:06 am

My bike has about 17000Ks. Chain has been eating Orings since new. Always used motul products and never had any problems with their stuff.
This is my chain today so Im off to the dealers to see what I can do to resolve problem.
Found lots of these little sections of Orings being extruded out between chain roller and sideplate.
I'm disapointed
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]