How to change the speedo correction rings.

For all 1290 related mods.
ktmguy
Site Admin

How to change the speedo correction rings.

Postby ktmguy » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:54 am

You need:
Stands to lift front and rear wheel off the ground.
Wheel nut socket 60mm and lever.
Axle nut socket 41mm and lever.
Torx head keys or sockets.
Allen keys or sockets
Locktite screw lock or similar.
Torque wrench.

Rear:
First a warning! Theoretically it is possible to take the brake disk and ring off without undoing the rear axle. Problem is that there is not enough space to fit a ring spanner on the disk bolts and they are tight. The nuts - guide pins for the rear wheel are tight in the axle and hard to turn till the bolt is undone so it is way easier to push the axle out a bit so a ring spanner fits instead of risking to round the bolts with an open end spanner! Your bike, your problem if you do so!
Also since you are working on brakes double check your work! Yes, even the professionals do this.
In a good workshop all wheel and brake work is double checked by another person (head mechanic, service manager...) before it goes out of the door! Don't be that guy with the accident clip on youtube!!

Mark the axle nut and wheel nut with a marker, this will give you a point to return to if you don't have a torque wrench that big.
Take off the clips and loosen both rear wheel nut and axle nut (easier with bike on the floor and someone holding the rear brake).
Put bike on centre stand or similar so rear wheel is off the floor.
Remove rear wheel.
Undo rear bake calliper and rest on top of swingarm.
Undo axle nut till it is almost all the way off but leave it on a few treads.
Tap the nut with rubber hammer or piece of wood so the axle comes out the wheel side 10mm.
Mark the brake disk and the axle with a marker so you can put it on the same spot (don't think it matters but better safe than sorry).
Put a ring spanner on the bolts and a allen key on the wheel guide nut.
Undo all the bolts.
Take disk and speedo ring off as in the picture, no need to remove the axle!
Careful with the disk as it is hardened steel and it easily damages - scratches other things like the axle!
Put the disk and Kev's speedo rings back on and do all the bolts back up using locktite!
Push axle back in and fit the brake calliper using loctite on the bolts.
Do the axle nut up (doesn't need to be to spec, just tight) while some pushes the rear brake in.
Rotate the axle carefully and check air gap in between sensor and speedo ring.
If all good double check your bolts (always on brakes) and refit the rear wheel.
Put bike on the floor and tighten axle and wheel nut to spec and fit the clips.

Front:

Undo the pinch bolts nut side of the wheel ( left hand side of the bike)
Undo the axle nut.
Put front on a stand so the wheel is off the ground.
Mark disk - wheel with a marker so you can put it back on where it was before.
With the wheel in place undo the disk bolts one by one as follows, someone to hold the front brake helps to do this.
Just crank them loose but don't undo them (like half a turn), turn the wheel to do all bolts this way.
Take the bolts out one by one, don't rotate the wheel till you removed the bolt you're working on completely or the half undone bolt might hit something and scratch it.
Take all the bolts out but take care not to drop the disk on the axle- wheel spacer when you get to the last two. If the helper who is there to hold the brake is still available get them to squeeze the brakes as it stops it falling down.
With all bolts removed and the disk careful resting on the wheel spacer take the axle nut off and undo the pinch bolts on the axle head side (right side of the bike).
Pull the axle out about 40- 50 mm so it is far enough out to slip the speedo ring out but it still supports the wheel.
Rotate the axle for ward turning the fork legs out towards the front, this created a small gap just enough to pass the speedo ring.
Put the new speedo ring in and refit the axle.
Fit the brake disk and speedo ring back and put the bolts in one by one using locktite!
Tighten all bolts to spec!
Refit the front axle and do up the pinch bolts correctly.

Job done!

This is the easy way, if you want to take the front wheel out you need to undo the brake callipers and refit them correctly!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

kevxtx
Stunt rider

Re: How to change the speedo correction rings.

Postby kevxtx » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:14 am

Perfect, thanks Guy we will need this for some guys.

Roadie
Minimoto racer

Postby Roadie » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:27 pm

I am interested in getting a set of these speedo correction rings. Are they still available?
Thanks.
2014 SDR
2008 GS1200
1999 996S
1993 GS100

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks for this guy,this bike comes with plenty of little niggles from the factory but I'd prefer to sort them myself rather than give it to my dealer.
Guides like this make my life easier,cheers mate

jmann

Postby jmann » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks comrade Guy.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 am

Very Good!
Thanks Guy!

Roadie
Minimoto racer

Postby Roadie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:50 am

I guess they are not available...
2014 SDR
2008 GS1200
1999 996S
1993 GS100

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:25 am

Yes they are available - I will give you a hint "kevxtx" PM
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Roadie
Minimoto racer

Postby Roadie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:43 pm

Thanks!
2014 SDR
2008 GS1200
1999 996S
1993 GS100

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Hey y'all. I've got a pair of the new rings, and I have a front and rear stand, but no center-type stand. Any suggestions as to how I can get that rear axle to slide out some given the lack of that center stand? I'd like to not have to pay a shop to do this. Thanks, Michael

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:48 pm

mrossk wrote:Hey y'all. I've got a pair of the new rings, and I have a front and rear stand, but no center-type stand. Any suggestions as to how I can get that rear axle to slide out some given the lack of that center stand? I'd like to not have to pay a shop to do this. Thanks, Michael

Can you hang the back end from your garage's roof trusses with straps?
Several jacks under the frame? Frame being supported by 2x10? (That would scare the crap outta me)
Wait and purchase a proper rear stand before attempting the job?
Keep riding and try to meet somebody else with an SD and inquire if they have a rear stand?
Endless possibilities...

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
18 1290 SDR
09 Aprilia Sportcity
04 SV650

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:19 pm

Thanks Steve- Unfortunately, no garage, so I can't hang the bike. I had considered trying to use a jack, but with the cat in the way I just can't see how to get one under there securely. I may just have to bite the bullet and pay a local shop. But I haven't given up yet, when the weather improves I'll crawl around under the bike a little more. Open to other ideas. Thanks!

Thomas-M
Minimoto racer

Postby Thomas-M » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:54 am

mrossk wrote:Hey y'all. I've got a pair of the new rings, and I have a front and rear stand, but no center-type stand. Any suggestions as to how I can get that rear axle to slide out some given the lack of that center stand? I'd like to not have to pay a shop to do this. Thanks, Michael

Hello Michael,
I did mine last year, without sliding the axle. There is one area where it just clears. If you want, PM me and I can take a look at my bike and I'll reply (I need to refresh my memory on what I did).
Tom

mrossk
Two wheeled terror

Postby mrossk » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:44 am

Hey Tom- thanks for the offer, very generous of you. Just yesterday I managed to get them done. I used a regular rear "spindle" type stand, loosened the axle nut before I mounted it, and with a few whacks with a piece of wood and hammer, was able to slide the axle enough to give me plenty of clearance. I was surprised how easy the rear was. Had more difficulty removing the front, but after a little wrestling, managed to get it done as well.

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:28 pm

i tried to do mine today,
had no help, i cannot budge the rear wheel nut.
i clamped front brake and put in gear :(

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:41 pm

whufc0 wrote:i tried to do mine today,
had no help, i cannot budge the rear wheel nut.
i clamped front brake and put in gear :(

I don't know if it can be done with one person. I had my buddy come over and put his foot on the rear parking brake (bike on the ground) while I used a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen it.
2007 950 SE
2014 690 Enduro R (Sumo conversion)
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:48 pm

ive wanted an impact wrench for a while, gives me an excuse to get one,

mntbighker
Minimoto racer

Postby mntbighker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:59 pm

BrandonH wrote:I don't know if it can be done with one person. I had my buddy come over and put his foot on the rear parking brake (bike on the ground) while I used a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen it.

My local shop changed my tyre using an air impact to remove. I didn't see them install. But I doubt it's torqued to spec if they used air gun to install.

Not being able to budge the thing is probably good. I'm betting far too many out there are under torqued. I bought the socket but can't find my damn giant 3/4 drive breaker bar. My torque wrench is good to 220 ft/lbs if I recall. In theory you should be able to just use a breaker bar if you calculate with your weight and where on the breaker to stand to achieve the torque spec. You should be easily close enough to the spec.

Anybody know if there is a safe spot to lock the rear wheel? Like something in the chain? Or a wedge against the tyre?
2016 Super Duke R

mntbighker
Minimoto racer

Postby mntbighker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:06 pm

Sarasota_Steve wrote:Frame being supported by 2x10? (That would scare the crap outta me)

Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

My local shop used a bike lift table and a block of wood to change my rear tyre. I didn't inspect to see what the wood was supporting. I should have, since it's a Ducati shop. But they do have one other 1290 customer who does LOTS of miles.
2016 Super Duke R

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:22 pm

would a 250nm impact wrench undo the Nut, or would u go for something more?

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:55 pm

whufc0 wrote:would a 250nm impact wrench undo the Nut, or would u go for something more?

Yes but dont use it to do the nut back up - use proper torque wrench
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:11 pm

did it today, took me about 2 hours,
went out and bought a 300nm impact wrench, about 5 seconds on highest setting undid both,

used the 120 settting to nip them up, i then set torque wrench to 200nm, then 250 nm,

its a hell lot easier to do them up then to undo them.

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:12 pm

mntbighker wrote:
BrandonH wrote:I don't know if it can be done with one person. I had my buddy come over and put his foot on the rear parking brake (bike on the ground) while I used a 4 foot breaker bar to loosen it.

My local shop changed my tyre using an air impact to remove. I didn't see them install. But I doubt it's torqued to spec if they used air gun to install.

Not being able to budge the thing is probably good. I'm betting far too many out there are under torqued. I bought the socket but can't find my damn giant 3/4 drive breaker bar. My torque wrench is good to 220 ft/lbs if I recall. In theory you should be able to just use a breaker bar if you calculate with your weight and where on the breaker to stand to achieve the torque spec. You should be easily close enough to the spec.

Anybody know if there is a safe spot to lock the rear wheel? Like something in the chain? Or a wedge against the tyre?

I was in the same boat with the torque wrench ordeal. Mine was only good to 150 ft/lbs I went to Auto Zone and "rented" a Torque Wrench that went to 250 Ft/Lbs. They charged 100 bucks when you rent it, but give it right back to you when you return it, so basically its free.
2007 950 SE
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

BrandonH
Two wheeled terror

Postby BrandonH » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:16 pm

whufc0 wrote:did it today, took me about 2 hours,
went out and bought a 300nm impact wrench, about 5 seconds on highest setting undid both,

used the 120 settting to nip them up, i then set torque wrench to 200nm, then 250 nm,

its a hell lot easier to do them up then to undo them.

What did you use to get the rear tyre off the ground? Frame Stand? Did you have to unbolt the axle to access the Bolts on the Rear rotor?
2007 950 SE
2014 1290 SDR (RIP)
2015 1290 SDR

whufc0
Two wheeled terror

Postby whufc0 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:25 pm

ABBA stand, and for front they do a front lift arm aswel.

yea i unbolted axel nut,
u dont have to, but i was scared of rounding the disc bolts using an open ended spanner.

Next

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]