Motohooligan Instal instructions (More pix)

For all 1290 related mods.
Motohooligan
Stunt rider

Motohooligan Instal instructions (More pix)

Postby Motohooligan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:50 pm

This is going to be pretty short and sweet as the 1290 is much easier to get apart than the 990 so here go's.

I only have a few pics at the moment but will try and make it to the dyno shop to take some more detailed photos of the details. The goon has had it for a month and is yet to get the custom map done. At the bottom is the preliminary back to back run from stock to motobox. I will post up a final graph as soon as I can.

Step 1......... Remove the radiator shrouds.
Step 2......... Remove the tank.
Step 3......... Unplug the crankcase breather tube and remove the factory airbox lid and filter, now is a good time to remove the air temp sensor too.
Step 4......... Pop the ram air snorkels forward thru the rubber grommets and remove the 4 bolts in the velocity stacks. The factory airbox can now be removed.
Step 5......... Remove the rubber grommets for the snorkels and the 2 o-rings that seal to throttle bodies from the factory aorbox.
Step 6......... Put the grommets in the billet ram air support as they came out of the factory box, clamp the support to the front frame rail and pop in the snorkels. Leave the clamp loose at first as this takes a little wiggle to get everything in the proper position.
Step7......... Remove the lid and filter from the Moto box and set it aside. (The filter is per-oiled)
Step 8........ Install the air temp sensor in the bottom of the Moto box and the 2 factory o-rings in the groves.
Step 9........ Install the base using the factory velocity stack hardware and new billet v-stacks, if you only purchased 1 stack it must be used on the rear cylinder, be sure to use the metal spacers that are in the factory V-stacks and use blue locktite on the fasteners. Don't forget to plug in the air temp sensor and be carful and make sure the wire is routed properly between the throttle bodies and not pinched or kinked.
step 10...... Remove the molded tube from the crankcase breather and rout the supplied tube to bung in the bottom of the box. You may need to rotate the bung slightly for a good fit. Cut tube to proper length and affix with supplied hose clamps.
Step 11....... Double check all hardware and make sure everything is hooked up and plugged in.
Step 12....... Install the filter and lid, be carful to make sure the filter is properly seated in the grooves in the base and lid.
Step 13....... Install the tank and fit shrouds.
Step 14....... Take it for rip!!

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... in3olc.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... k5y6dx.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... hgabho.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... 089bhu.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... vsk85n.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... it7npw.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... ikd0kp.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... mwikch.jpg
http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... eeguat.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag4 ... a5ncgw.jpg
Last edited by Motohooligan on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
In the garage now:
08 SDR home at last!!!
96 CBR900RR
05 XR650R motard
76 CB550F
Past loves:82 ATC70, 85 ATC250R, 73 Kawi H2,
76 KZ900, Jawa twin cam speedway bike, KZ1000 newzeland sidehack, 96XR400 05 Superduke

bic_bicknell

Re: Motohooligan Instal instructions (More pix)

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:57 pm

Aaron. You make it sound so easy! No need for a detailed manual this time round then? :D
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Motohooligan
Stunt rider

Postby Motohooligan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 pm

bic_bicknell wrote:Aaron. You make it sound so easy! No need for a detailed manual this time round then? :D

I would love to have you do another full install manual! You instructions are top notch! I am slightly more than mildly retarded when it comes to this stuff. Get yourself a 1290 and I will make it right with you to do another :wink:
In the garage now:
08 SDR home at last!!!
96 CBR900RR
05 XR650R motard
76 CB550F
76 KZ900, Jawa twin cam speedway bike, KZ1000 newzeland sidehack, 96XR400 05 Superduke

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:09 am

Very nice. What is the price on one of these? I might consider replacing my "other" intake.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

Motohooligan
Stunt rider

Postby Motohooligan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Turkishexpress wrote:Very nice. What is the price on one of these? I might consider replacing my "other" intake.

Look here..... http://www.motohooliganperformance.com/ ... duct_id=61

You can configure how you like with or without V-stacks and SAS
In the garage now:
08 SDR home at last!!!
96 CBR900RR
05 XR650R motard
76 CB550F

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:20 am

10hp gain?

What configuration for exhaust and tune on that bike?

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:40 am

Another work of billet art there Aaron!

May be purchasing an 1190 Adventure in the not too distant future and would be real interested in running your box again rather than the other solutions out there. Should bolt right on.

I seem to remember you offering some sort of filter sock for the dirt crowd...am I remembering this correctly?

Clear anodised please! Wouldn't want to cover up any of that fine machine work.

Cheers

xtremewlr
Minimoto racer

Postby xtremewlr » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:18 pm

Fantastic work. Might want to consider adding a V bracket to attach to the air duct bracket in front of the filter to prevent crap destroying the front of the filter at high speeds. Rottweiler has something similar that they have added to theirs as they found that on the 1190 ADV bikes, dirt was being forced into the front of the element still and destroying the front of the filter, closest to the air intakes.

Oupy
Minimoto racer

Postby Oupy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:20 am

xtremewlr wrote:Fantastic work. Might want to consider adding a V bracket to attach to the air duct bracket in front of the filter to prevent crap destroying the front of the filter at high speeds. Rottweiler has something similar that they have added to theirs as they found that on the 1190 ADV bikes, dirt was being forced into the front of the element still and destroying the front of the filter, closest to the air intakes.

Did they have any info regarding the mileage that this could happen?

I did hear that it may accelerate the drying out of the oil applied to the element, but I was not aware of any damage occurring.

xtremewlr
Minimoto racer

Postby xtremewlr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:31 am

Oupy wrote:
xtremewlr wrote:Fantastic work. Might want to consider adding a V bracket to attach to the air duct bracket in front of the filter to prevent crap destroying the front of the filter at high speeds. Rottweiler has something similar that they have added to theirs as they found that on the 1190 ADV bikes, dirt was being forced into the front of the element still and destroying the front of the filter, closest to the air intakes.

Did they have any info regarding the mileage that this could happen?

I did hear that it may accelerate the drying out of the oil applied to the element, but I was not aware of any damage occurring.

I haven't seen reports of mileage that this tends to happen at. More so it depends on how much dirt/off road use the Adventure bike has seen. I've seen a few pics where the front of the filter is partly chewed up and covered in fine dirt and that dirt has also managed to work it's way thru the filter element and allowed the inside of the airbox to be covered and the fine grit ingested into the intakes.

It would be easy enough to make a V shaped bracket and attach it yourself to prevent this from happening. On a road only bike, the chances are obviously much less that this would be a problem.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:49 am

Moved from the 1290 Technical Section
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Looking forward to receiving mine and giving it the beans..

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Tripped1 wrote:10hp gain?

What configuration for exhaust and tune on that bike?

Tripped,

I see in the Dyno graph 10 Foot pounds gain in torque. That graph does not show HP.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR (For Sale)
18 1290 SDR

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:51 am

Look again at the top two curves and the first set of numbers in the results.

ma1290rky
Two wheeled terror

Postby ma1290rky » Tue May 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Arrived this morning after our lovely customs wanted pieces of silver to release....

Looks good..

2014_SDR
Two wheeled terror

Postby 2014_SDR » Sun May 22, 2016 6:41 am

It’s been a couple of weeks now since I had my Motohooligan airbox and dual velocity stacks fitted and couldn’t be happier with it, well worth the money.

The sound from the airbox is addictive and with the PCV and remap (individual cyclinders) it’s making decent figures on the dyno. The bike already had the Akrapovic slipon and Bodis de-cat, the graph below shows the improvement from before the airbox (blue) and after (red).

Before the Bodis de-cat the bike was producing 153bhp.

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:06 am

Should have charts for a Motohooligan + akra full system with two cylinder tune next friday. I also have stock, just exhaust and tune.

Trying to decide if I want the ignition module now.....its an addiction.

xtremewlr
Minimoto racer

Postby xtremewlr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Tripped1 wrote:Should have charts for a Motohooligan + akra full system with two cylinder tune next friday. I also have stock, just exhaust and tune.

Trying to decide if I want the ignition module now.....its an addiction.

Doesn't your tuner's bike have the Rotty intake and full akra? Be curious to see if there is much difference from similar bikes on the same dyno.

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]