Cruise Control for the Super Duke 1290

For all 1290 related mods.
Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Cruise Control for the Super Duke 1290

Postby Growler48 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:36 am

For anyone who wants a cruise control for touring on the Super Duke or just wants a cruise control, there is one available now from Brandon Distributing, Inc. I just installed one on my bike. I don't have a lot of miles with it yet, but I'm really happy with how it works so far. Here is a link to the webpage: http://www.brandondist.com/motorcycle-c ... trols.html. There's a link there to the Adventure Rider forum if you want to see the history of its development. I posted these pictures there as well. It's a plug and play unit and pretty simple to install. The hardest part is removing the tank and the air box. Everything went pretty smoothly. but it was a little bit different than the Adventure bike installation and the pictures in the manual weren't very clear, so I'm posting a few pictures and tips for fellow Super Duke owners if they decide to install this cruise control on their bike.

I found two connectors for the supplied Throttle Harness to plug into. I called Joe, the owner of Brandon Industries, and we figured out that this is the correct one.

Here is the one you don't want to use.

The harnesses are extra long and there is a lot of excess to deal with.

I bundled up the harnesses and zip tied them to the right side OEM wire bundle. There's not much room here and if you don't bundle these tightly, it will be a challenge to get your air box back on.

You can mount the Trail Tech switch that comes with the bike between the grip and switch gear or between the switch gear and the mirror. I chose the latter. When I mounted it, I didn't pay attention to the direction of the arrow on the Trail Tech switch. It just made sense that the wire should come out of the bottom, so that's how I installed it, with the arrow pointing down. You're supposed to mount it with the arrow pointing up. This is not listed in the instructions.

The correct way to install the switch is with the arrow pointing up.

The kit comes with an LED that tells you whether the cruise control is on (green) or activated (red). Since we don't have a dash or any plastic to mount the LED to, I simply zip-tied mine to some of the wires coming out of the left side switchgear. If someone finds a better place to mount it, let me know!

I mounted the cruise control box under the rear seat. I'm officially out of real estate for any future mods! I could not find anywhere to hard mount the cruise control with the screw holes provided. The rubber strap holds the cruise control box in place pretty nicely.

When I went for a test ride, the bike momentarily accelerated when the cruise control set button was pressed, then kept a steady speed, but it surged quite a bit. I was able to use the adjustment instructions in the manual to stop the acceleration when the set button was pushed, however, the instructions for reducing the surging did not work. Someone on the Adventure Rider forum mentioned doing the Throttle Positioning Programming again, but only use about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle vice full throttle to fix the surging. I did and it went away. I'll probably still tweak it a little to get everything perfect. I doubt the cruise control will work perfectly out of the box for most, so plan to do a little adjusting, as necessary, to get it right.
2014 SuperDuke 1290 R BLACK! 8)

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Re: Cruise Control for the Super Duke 1290

Postby Lowrance » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:25 am

Nice job Growler. Been following the thread on ADV as considering an 1190ADV. Be warned....once you've had cruise you can't go back! Sounds rediculous I know but such a nice feature while slabbing it to/from the twisty bits. Enjoy.

Markey
Two wheeled terror

Postby Markey » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:19 am

Great post again Growler mate fair play :D

Tripped1
Two wheeled terror

Postby Tripped1 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:27 am

Ohhh they got that working? WIN.

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:53 pm

Great write up Growler. Always appreciate it when someone goes to the trouble. Nice work.

Mods, think we should leave this here for a bit and move it to the "How TO" section.

Thoughts?
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:05 am

"I bundled up the harnesses and zip tied them to the right side OEM wire bundle. There's not much room here and if you don't bundle these tightly, it will be a challenge to get your air box back on."
Not if you have a Rotty:)

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:02 am

I do have a Rotty and it was still tight.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:27 pm

Oooopppss:)

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:16 pm

Now that you have had this for a while, what's your feedback? Were you able to get rid of the surging and are you happy with it?

Might be in the market in the near future and curious to hear your feedback. Seems some have issues, some don't.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm extremely happy with it and use it all the time. It takes a bit of experimenting to get it dialed in. I had it set up with zero surging whatsoever, but the throttle response was a little laggy, so I played with the settings some more and now have a setup that has good throttle response and a surge so mild that you can't even notice it unless you're on a really smooth road on a calm day. I've hit my happy spot with it. I highly recommend it.

A guy on the ADV forum had one on his 1190 Adventure and rode with it to Alaska and back. He was really happy with it.

MacaveliMC
Two wheeled terror

Postby MacaveliMC » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:30 pm

So has this system been improved? Or does it still take quite a bit of messing to get it to work correctly and smoothly.

Danish-Rider
Minimoto racer

Postby Danish-Rider » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:58 pm

Hi Growler48

I have also installed this cruise control, and i also find it is surging too much out of the box.
I will try your method of setting the throttle.

Can you please tell me precisely what you adjusted as fas as "init" or "gain" and by how much ?

Joe from Brandon dist. told me that you can adjust +-10 positions for both the "init" and "gain"

But you cannot "reset" the thing on your own, he has to do that (and right now i don't know excactly where i am in the "gain" adjustments).
Peter From Denmark

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:11 pm

OK. First thing to say is I'm drunk.

Got that? Drunk.

Soooo, what the fook is cruise control on a motorbike?!!!

I don't get it. I know it's something to do with the US and those vast long roads you have over there. (which is not your fault, just your bad luck) But I just don't understand why anyone would want to ride a motorcycle (especially a bike like the Superduke) and then go out and sit on it with such a lack of involvement that you just want to turn it into an armchair and sit there with some sort of automatic throttle control. What the fook are you doing when you switch this bit of bollox on? Daydreaming? Thinking of Trump and the awful state of your politics? Fantasising about Brittany Spears? What? What are you fooking doing as you are cruising down your long, boring roads?

Get a life.

Go find some roads worth riding on.

Use the bike for what it was meant for.

If you just want to sit on a fooking road with a cruise control and not ride the bike then why don't you just get the train or a Greyhound bus and read a book while you get from A to B?

Explain to me.
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Postby DribbleDuke » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:00 am

Get back to us once you have sobered up. The horn works when you need it to. The blinkers work when you need them to. The hi-beams work when you need them to. The relief from holding a constant throttle out in the middle of nowhere, giving your right hand a bit of a break is a welcome respite, when you need it to. Holding a throttle grip does not afford my brain more or less ability to function. I can still imagine that big beautiful long tall Mexican paid for wall or emptying that fifty round banana clip into a varmint filled hillside sans, or grip in hand. Where life does get more difficult is reaching into the tank bag to grab a handful from my Supersized McDonalds fries container while holding my 104 ounce soda. By the way our politics are in a fine state at the moment, at least till November.

I just sold my Scrambler to a cool hipster in Los Angeles. It was the only bike that I had a throttle lock on and I do miss it. I find myself reaching for it on my new bike and saying "shucks, I need to get something for this bike"
I'm BLUE

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:20 am

Wouldn't knock it till you've tried it bic. Comes standard on my S1000R and the 2015/16 RRs. Everyone that has it raves about it.

State of our politics is shit...no doubt but it aint like you've got room to talk...f#@%ing peanut gallery. :lol:

Have another pint!

Cheers

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 am

Danish-Rider wrote:Hi Growler48

I have also installed this cruise control, and i also find it is surging too much out of the box.
I will try your method of setting the throttle.

Can you please tell me precisely what you adjusted as fas as "init" or "gain" and by how much ?

Joe from Brandon dist. told me that you can adjust +-10 positions for both the "init" and "gain"

But you cannot "reset" the thing on your own, he has to do that (and right now i don't know excactly where i am in the "gain" adjustments).

I can't tell you precisely what position the "init" or "gain" is in. I just experimented with both. The first thing I would try, if you haven't already, is reset the throttle position, but don't open it fully like the instructions say. Try setting it at 1/2 or 1/3 throttle. As you bring this setting down, you'll start to lose some throttle response at some point, but you should also see decreased surging. With some patience, you should either be able to nail it or come to a workable compromise. I don't like the fact that you have to experiment with it so much. This should come perfect right out of the box!

Growler48
Two wheeled terror

Postby Growler48 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:08 am

bic_bicknell wrote:OK. First thing to say is I'm drunk.

Got that? Drunk.

Soooo, what the fook is cruise control on a motorbike?!!!

I don't get it. I know it's something to do with the US and those vast long roads you have over there. (which is not your fault, just your bad luck) But I just don't understand why anyone would want to ride a motorcycle (especially a bike like the Superduke) and then go out and sit on it with such a lack of involvement that you just want to turn it into an armchair and sit there with some sort of automatic throttle control. What the fook are you doing when you switch this bit of bollox on? Daydreaming? Thinking of Trump and the awful state of your politics? Fantasising about Brittany Spears? What? What are you fooking doing as you are cruising down your long, boring roads?

Get a life.

Go find some roads worth riding on.

Use the bike for what it was meant for.

If you just want to sit on a fooking road with a cruise control and not ride the bike then why don't you just get the train or a Greyhound bus and read a book while you get from A to B?

Explain to me.

Well, we do have plenty of roads worth riding on in the U.S. In my neck of the woods, though, you have to ride on highways, sometimes for hours, to get to them. If you don't have roads like that where you live, you certainly don't need to waste your money on one of these, but don't knock it if you haven't tried one on a long trip. It's worth its weight in gold!

bic_bicknell

Postby bic_bicknell » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:22 am

Apologies. I can't even remember writing that. :oops:
Past: Honda CB125J, Honda TL125, 1963 Triumph Tiger 90, Yamaha RD250, Kawasaki KH250, Kawasaki 400 S3, Kawasaki KH400, Kawasaki Z400J, Suzuki GS750, Suzuki GS1000, Ducati SS900 Superlight, KTM LC4 Supermoto, Honda VFR 800i, KTM Superduke '07.

Aphex
Site Admin

Postby Aphex » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:08 pm

Oh Bic, don't ever change. :mrgreen:

You almost made me choke on my granola bar.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

Freude am Fahren
Minimoto racer

Postby Freude am Fahren » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:15 am

A bit of a turn here, but any chance we'll see a retrofit for CC from KTM? I highly doubt it, but BMW has done some retrofitting when new features come out on some models (Cornering ABS, for instance).

I did see that the auto canceling indicator thing is available on the power part catalogue, so who knows, right?

I live in south Florida, and I do use the bike to go to work on nice days, so CC would be nice.

This looks like a nice option otherwise, though that box does seem to take up a lot of valuable space!

Does it auto cancel with any brake/clutch input?

DaveNZ
Two wheeled terror

Postby DaveNZ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:13 am

The auto indicator turn off is brilliant on the GT, And here in NZ the Cruise control is barely ever going to be in use, very few straights over a kilometre where i live, but i have tried mine on the GT, it was weird at first, letting go of the throttle, and the bike just keep pulling, a weird feeling. but if i need to adjust something ( or scratch my balls) i can inact the cruise control and use my right hand. pretty cool feature really.
2005 640, full system, 18 litre tank, flatside carb. 2010 Black multistrada 1200 Ohlins-with SCU. 2016 1290 GT, Remus muffler and link pipe, Rottweiler plates, and dongles.

SpeedyR
Two wheeled terror

Postby SpeedyR » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:48 pm

would love having CC on the 1290. IMHO it's like heated grips, you don't know what you are missing till you have it and then don't.

I'll wait a bit and see if it's something that they add to the first gen SD-R via software. I would think that would be easy. A lot of the other features on the 2nd Gen SD-R (2017+) I don't think will transfer but it would seem that CC would be simple.

if not, this might be a good option.
you can't have too much Super in your life, right?
2015 1290 SD-R- full Akra Evo
2007 950 Super Enduro- too much to list..
2007 450XC- tagged dual sport
1997 Road King FLHRi- couch potato
2009 KLX140L
2012 TTR50e

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]