building a swingarm slider for the 1290

For all 1290 related mods.
abc
Stunt rider

building a swingarm slider for the 1290

Postby abc » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Its been raining here again so I have been figuring out how to mount a slider to my swingarm. I didnt want to drill and tap the swingarm so I have decided to make a fancy mount for the slider.
here is the swingarm all covered in alloy tape and PVA. Has one thin layer of basalt fiber and resin to reproduce the exact shape of the swingarm. The white plastic part is 3D printed and will eventually be a titanium slider.
The exact copy removed, showing the reinforced area for slider mount.
Part removed ready to be covered in bondo. The bondo thickness needs to be accurate and match the layer thickness of the finished carbon part or it wont fit.
There a negative areas on this part and I am going to rely on the flexability of the mating layups to get everything apart - dont know if it will work but will give it a go.
This part when finished will be the plug so everything looks like sh1t now but thats usual at this stage. wish me luck 8)
More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Aphex
Site Admin

Re: building a swingarm slider for the 1290

Postby Aphex » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:11 pm

You better put a disclaimer on this thread unless you want to be asked a million times to build more and sell em hahaha.

I mean it's not a bad thing, high quality CF is good shit and you've done some awesome molds.
08 SD, Mivv Suono, Rottweiler airbox. Current map: One some guy sent me from the internet.

Me so Hoony.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:32 am

Thanks Aphex good point.
so heres a disclaimer - Unfortunately I can't make these for others but I hope you enjoy the instruction I offer and it motivates others to not sit on their hands and have a go for themselves.
I also hope members understand that if I spent all my time making custom carbon parts for them I would not have any time to make stuff for myself.
thanks.
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

murphc13
Stunt rider

Postby murphc13 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Great work man!!
Fair play!!!

Op_Engineer
Minimoto racer

Postby Op_Engineer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:23 pm

ABC, I have some questions... Why make a rectangle slider? Is not the Duke an angular bike? Why not choose a more suitable material for sacrifice to the asphalt God? Like soft aluminium or Delrin plastic... It think Titanium will dent the swingarm on impact.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:17 am

Op_Engineer wrote:ABC, I have some questions... Why make a rectangle slider? Is not the Duke an angular bike? Why not choose a more suitable material for sacrifice to the asphalt God? Like soft aluminium or Delrin plastic... It think Titanium will dent the swingarm on impact.

The shape of the slider was chosen because it suits the radius of the existing large curves on the stock swing arm and the size is chosen to again cover that large curve on the stock arm whilst trying to keep the standoff distance to a minimum. It is also easier to reshape the layer of bondo to something that has square edges. If for example it was round then it is actually harder to blend it to the rest of the shape on the swing arm cover and it will stick out further.

I am open to suggestions on all this stuff as long as it is workable and doesn't add too many hours to an already big job. so please feel free to make any suggestions. What shape slider do you think would be better? Anyone! Please feel free to contribute.

At this early stage I can just CAD another shape and 3D print it as an example and see what it looks like when mounted onto the carbon. But keep in mind that it is impossible to keep everyone happy and build something that suits all tastes. I am sure some people think my bellypan looks like sh1t and there will be others that think it looks ok :?

The slider materials can be whatever and the first version will indeed be 7000 series ally, then I will likely make the final version out of Ti. Because I didn't want the slider to hang out too far I have chosen Ti because it can slide further before destroying the carbon. Even 7000 series ally will wear down reasonably quickly if it ever is in contact with the tarmac :( Unfortunately if it ever gets eroded away it is likely to be a big crash and the bike will be written off anyway :oops:

With regard to damaging the swing arm with the Ti slider - with the slider mount it actually has a small standoff distance to the swing arm face at that point. It is designed like this to hold a plate behind the slider so the slider can be screwed onto the carbon from the outside and removed if ever needed. on the inside face there will be a thin layer of rubber (0.5mm thick) to act as a shock absorber at that point. The rest of the carbon will fit the swing arm shape without any standoff. I will show pics when I get to that point as its difficult to explain in a verbal post.
All these things are taken into account by subtle design changes to the original swing arm shape - it can do your head in sometimes but if it was easy I wouldn't be interested in doing it and would leave it to someone else to play with. These are just a few reasons why it takes so long to finish jobs like these 8)

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 am

Cast from swingarm now becomes the plug for the mold. Here it is covered in bondo. Steel plate is where the slider and backing plate goes.
I have started to do the surface thickness accurately. I have to make the plug thicker by the layer thickness of the carbon fiber or the finished part will not fit :cry:
rough sanding about half way through
More later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lowrance
Trackday hero

Postby Lowrance » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:20 pm

You should think about adding a shark guard to your design....I still cannot believe KTM didn't make provisions for one.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:57 am

Thats a good idea and I will consider a bolt on part after everything is finished because it is way too hard to build it into the current plug. The mold will likely need to be 2 piece and with a shark fin it will need to be 4 piece :shock:
That a bit too much of a pain in the ass so a bolt on unit is the best way to do it. I am not sure if the back mount for the lower chain slider is in the way but I can check this out if I decide to make one.
cheers.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:23 am

This is the original thin skin mold I took of the stock swingarm. Its thickness has been increase by 1.5mm. Shaping finished after heaps of sanding. This is now the plug.
Here is the start of the flanges made out of foam.
Flanges finished and coated in 2 pack to seal and for added strength. The slight step around the edges of the plugs shape is so I know where to cut the carbon final part so it will be able to be installed over the swingarm. This is as big a single piece as you can make it, any bigger and it wont fit.
View shows all the mess that goes together to hold it all together.
Next is to figure out where to split the mold and build more flanges along the split line
more later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:14 am

I fecked up so I have decided to increase the flange width so it makes it easier to seal for vacuum.
Its more work but worth doing now as trying to add flange width later would be even harder. This will now get cut down and glued to a large flat baseplate.
more later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:22 am

Here the 7000 series ally slider, its 5mm thick. It will be the first version with a titanium one being the second and ultimately what I will fit to my swingarm. I just have to be patient and wait to find some Ti material at the right price.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmann

Postby jmann » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 pm

Comrade ABC: I'm in awe as usual. As such, I've just submitted a job application for you with KTM's R&D section. It only pays EU250k but hopefully that might be enough to tempt you ... :D :D :D

Grallesh
Minimoto racer

Postby Grallesh » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:11 pm

great work buddy, absolutely impressed..
its obvious that this is your true passion and you should really consider turning it into your job :)
as jmann said, if you show KTM this stuff, they'd be idiots not to hire you.. ^^

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:56 pm

Thanks guys.
I would probably consider licensing my designs to KTM because they would be more trustworthy than some smaller firms looking for a quick buck at the expense of anyone dealing with them.
If you know anyone in KTMsville please feel free to point them in my direction and let them know I would be interested if they wanted to reproduce my designs under the powerparts brand. In the old days all my work deals were sealed with the shake of hands but alas the world has changed and it sometimes seems like everyone is out to rip everyone else off!
I have been talking with a local manufacturer to make my bellypans but the deal has fallen through because they are too greedy, so if you know of any companies that are trustworthy and geared up to make high quality carbon parts please let me know or point them to my part designs on this forum :)
I would hope that you will not just speculate and say "have you tried these" because that is just wasting my time and I am extremely busy at present. Im sure if its a reputable company and they like what I do then they will get in touch with me.
I have a long way to go to finish this part but as usual it will eventually get done and be a unique 1 off just like the rest of my stuff.
Stay tunes folks.............

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:42 am

Feck up all fixed after another week bites the dust :( This is the new version of the plug with extended flanges. The plug also has been modified so the molds will now be two piece so I can get the final carbon part out without destroying anything. The new split line will be along the bottom of the part so it will be easy to sand out any small flashing from the join. Any small gaps seen here will be filled with clay to reduce flashing. The dividing bridge is bolted to the back of the plug and will be removed in the 2 step mold making process.
This extra work was necessary and hopefully will make things easier as I move forward with the job.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:43 pm

well done mate all I can say is WOW!

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:03 am

new 2 piece molds straight off the original plug. split and bolted back together
Molds split to show how it was done - next is to clean them up and work on ensuring the flash line and finish is acceptable.
there are 5 locating lugs to ensure the parts go back together in exactly the right location.
heaps of work in all this.
more later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:59 am

I set everything up and did the vacuum infusion today. Pic below shows all the BS necessary to make it happen
This pic shows the infusion line and infusion mesh in detail. You can buy all the fancy sh1t but all I use is shadecloth and spiral wrap for electrical cables. They do the same job and you dont need to spend a fortune on all the stuff recommended by the experts. Vac infusion on a budget.
Infusion complete and took about 30 minutes to cover all the materials and layer thickness.
I will know in a few days if all the effort was worth it, then its onto cutting to shape and working on the mounting holes and titanium slider etc.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:04 am

everything came apart ok and 2 piece molds design worked.
first fitting - had lots of problems with the resin thickness. Not the layer thickness but the resin because the vacuum bag didnt stretch well enough into the complex curves even under vacuum :( Had to use my die grinder and profile stones to remove excess resin in a few spots.
This is what your rear end looks like when its dripping with carbon fiber 8)
this was a very difficult job to do without an autoclave and without using prepreg materials.
Not bad for something out of my old shed. now its onto finishing the slider mounts etc.
more later.

Dukem
Minimoto racer

Postby Dukem » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am

Love it! Dedication is everything :D

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Finished part - weight is only 150 grams. part now coated in 2 pack clear and rubbed back with 1000 grit to match up with the finish on the akra carbon parts - time consuming but worth it.
Just waiting on some cheap titanium to upgrade the slider
back view showing slider mount and thin felt to protect original swingarm from scuffing. 2mm rubber will go on back of slider mount to act as damper if ever needed.
Mounting points will be upper chain guard bolt hole, upper chain slider mounting hole and both lower chain slider mounting holes.
final fitting in a couple of days. Part turned out ok in the end.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarasota_Steve

Postby Sarasota_Steve » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:56 pm

Nothing but respect. Keep up the good work.
Ride Hard,
------------------
Sarasota_Steve
08 990 SDR

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:34 am

final fitting and I will call it finished until some cheap titanium turns up
Now its onto the next thing on my list.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc
Stunt rider

Postby abc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 am

some titanium finally arrived at the right price so I machined up the final swingarm slider and processed it so it looks like the color of the akra system. Here is the new one shown against the original alloy one I made. Will be much better if it is ever needed as this stuff is pretty tough and abrasion resistant.
Ill call it finished for now.
Maybe more later.
Last edited by abc on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]