building a swingarm slider for the 1290

For all 1290 related mods.
DribbleDuke
Master of the twisties

Re: building a swingarm slider for the 1290

Postby DribbleDuke » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:02 pm

In looking at the carbon fiber panels in the lest picture it appears that there is a "grain" or a weave pattern. Is it just that the lighting catches them differently?. If you look at all the different pieces the angle of weave pattern seems to hold no apparent angle structure. The piece that seems to follow a angle pattern that is most pleasing to the eye is the swingarm cover, all others seem haphazard. Do you take this into consideration when laying up or do you have to work with whatever comes?
I'm BLUE

abc
Stunt rider

Re: building a swingarm slider for the 1290

Postby abc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:50 pm

Its because some parts are purchased from aftermarket makers and some is done by me. The photo makes it look worse than in real life.
I dont really like the aftermarket stuff but its cheaper to buy than for me to go through all the processes to make my own. If I was rolling in cash I would only buy Akra carbon because of the quality and fit. My experience has been that every time I buy any aftermarket stuff I have always had to modify it to make it fit properly. The problem is always the lazy post processing and not the layup.
Anyway it gives me something to do in my old shed on those rainy days and makes my bike look a little different from all the other 1290s.
If I lived in monsoon country and it rained all the time I would be working on a supercharger for the 1290 but packaging and driving the blower leaves very limited options :roll:
Any modifications you undertake are your sole responsibility, I am not liable for any claims relating to modifications or suggestions posted on this forum. If you undertake any modifications you do so at your own risk.

Previous

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]