2017 1290 de-cat of OEM box and MHP exhaust

For all 1290 related mods.
Colonel_Klinck

2017 1290 de-cat of OEM box and MHP exhaust

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:27 pm

As my 1290 spends 90% of its time on track I had to come up with a exhuast solution that will pass 102db at 5.5k rpm static. Can't afford to throw £2.2k at the full Akra. I spoke to a mate, Marcus Hill of MHP Racing Exhausts. He said de-cat of the OEM box, new link and one of his Evo cans would keep me under that db and I wouldn't lose torque by losing the resonator box. A mate gave me a 2016 box off his bike as he has the full system.

He opened up the box, stripped out the cat only. All the pipework in there is actually quite good. All the smaller diameter pipes add up to the 60mm exit so gas flow wouldn't be a problem. He then fabricated a new 60mm exit pipe that will take any 60mm can with spring clips. Got it all on the bike and it noise tested exactly 100db with the mesh cover he uses to break up the sound. Looks like a spark arrestor but does a really good job with sound too.

Took the bike to be tuned at Track Electronics on Wednesday and John managed to get 172bhp and 103.4ftlbs :D He normally enjoys tuning bikes but the 1290 fought him all the way. There is a big dip near the top which he says is engine electronics. Couldn't do anything to get rid of it. If he had full access to the ECU like with TuneECU or Woolich he could get even more out of it. Fingers crossed TuneECU get there or Woolich get around the KTM ECU at some point soon.

Off to Snetterton in the morning to test it on track. Should be a load more grunt throughout the range.

The red A/F line on the dyno chart is the map Dynojet said was 2017 stock bike. It is stupidly lean in places even with Akra map installed. When in the PCV it shows as 2014 bike. Nice job Dynojet :roll: :evil:

"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

nampus
Stunt rider

Re: 2017 1290 de-cat of OEM box and MHP exhaust

Postby nampus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:09 pm

Good looking exhaust can Klinck!

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:17 pm

nampus wrote:Good looking exhaust can Klinck!

Cheers! Yeah it is the nicest looking can he makes. Tested it today at Snetterton, 100db static and didn't trigger the driveby even though I went past it full chat in 3rd. Chuffed that it has ticked all the boxes and cost me a mere fraction of the full system for all his work. Because I got mates rates it was £100 cheaper than just the Akra slipon :D
"They lie about marijuana. Tell you pot-smoking makes you unmotivated. Lie! When you're high, you can do everything you normally do, just as well. You just realise that it's not worth the f*cking effort. There is a difference."
The late Bill Hicks

nampus
Stunt rider

Postby nampus » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 pm

Win!
Any chance of a little video for the sound?

Colonel_Klinck

Postby Colonel_Klinck » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:12 am

It is back at the dealers again at the moment with the air in the clutch when spanking it issue. They have already changed the master cylinder, even though I know it isn't that. It is the slave and I'm hoping KTM just take the hit and fit an Oberon as the OEM one isn't fit for purpose. When I get it back I'll do a vid.
The late Bill Hicks

Return to How to do it! [SDR 1290]