Austinracing GP1 Exhaust

For all 1290 related problems . solutions . product reviews . tips
Ash78
Minimoto racer

Re: Austinracing GP1 Exhaust

Postby Ash78 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:55 am

JMann/Neo,

Thanks for the input. I have seen some of kevtx's posts, impressive stuff and great to see somebody making the effort to share his learnings with all. It would take me days to read through it all though!

I have checked AR's site but can only see a graph for the can without any tuning. I might be being stupid here but that's all I can find???

I guess I was half way hoping somebody on the forum may have a similar set up to the standard headers, PCV, K&N and GP3 V3 can, which takes out the cat. From what I've found so far on the forum, kevtx's testing has all been performed with the cat installed, I'm thinking that removing the cat and tuning accordingly would of course make a difference, particularly if making an effort to install the Rottweiler air box or at least copy Kevs initial mod and remove sections from the air tube inlets?? I haven't yet received these goodies so I'm not completely clear yet on what the inserts options are for the V3, I should have these in hand by next weekend all being well and will take it from there.

Thanks again.

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:57 am

Removing the cat and mapping for the air box will make a massive difference.
The insert has little or no affect on power but not yet tested with any air box mods

Artha
Minimoto racer

Postby Artha » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:55 am

I'd like to say "thanks" to Neo for discount code. Order is already placed. Now I'm waiting for new bike and GP3 Carbon/Ceramic exhaust.

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:01 am

No problem :D

Artha
Minimoto racer

Postby Artha » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:20 am

Last Saturday I was in KTM to collect my bike. Unfortunately I couldn't. The GP3 black carbon/ceramic exhaust looks awesome but the noise level is so high that I'm afraid ride trough the city. Mechanic told me that there is a big chance that first Police patrol will stop me and confiscate bike documents and I won't be able legally ride on it.
Pls help me guys with this issue. I don't want ride with this factory exhaust.

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:36 am

Are you referring to the V3 can?
The V3 is not that loud especially if you use the supplied db killing insert.
Email us direct and we can look at this for you

scamb66

Postby scamb66 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:47 am

Artha wrote:Last Saturday I was in KTM to collect my bike. Unfortunately I couldn't. The GP3 black carbon/ceramic exhaust looks awesome but the noise level is so high that I'm afraid ride trough the city. Mechanic told me that there is a big chance that first Police patrol will stop me and confiscate bike documents and I won't be able legally ride on it.
Pls help me guys with this issue. I don't want ride with this factory exhaust.

Don't be a pussy :D
The best things in life are free........
The second best things are really expensive.

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:59 am

Looking to get to 96db, these countries have crazy laws!

Artha
Minimoto racer

Postby Artha » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:35 am

I agree with you Neo. About been a pussy... I would be fuc..... disappointment situation when from my firs ride I will back home by taxi. :evil:

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:20 am

Nightmare!

we are sending you new inserts :D

Pamuk
Minimoto racer

Postby Pamuk » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:53 pm

NEO!! I just put a deposit on my 2015 SDR. I'm going to get one of your exhausts. I want the GP1 but it's pricey. So maybe the discount code, I'm hoping you will send me, will help with my decision? LOL, Canada definitely needs "hear" more SuperDukes!
2004 625 SMC
2010 990 SM-T (Sold)
2014 300 XC-W
2015 Super Duke R

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:06 pm

:mrgreen:
Email us for your code
sales@austinracing.info
Will send you your code by return first thing tomorrow.

Ash78
Minimoto racer

Postby Ash78 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:39 pm

I now have the AR V3 can, PCV and AR Map installed, and I'm impressed with the difference in torque, throttle response and overall power, good job by AR in my opinion.

I have a k&n air filter which I haven't installed as I'm concerned that the PCV hasn't been mapped for it. Is that a genuine concern? Will it mess with the AFR to the point of being a concern? I understand I won't get the best out of the additional air without remapping but I'm just not sure if it is safe to install the high flow air filter without a map to suit??

Don't suppose anyone has a map for the above set up with a k&n do they?

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:12 pm

I got the full GP3 system with the carbon can, removed the SAS-system almost instantly, because of the excessive popping after installing the Akra-map.
I really love the quality and looks of the pipe, of course without the db-killer, but I have to admit the it was a bit louder, than I hoped for...
Then I heard that it''s not recommended to use the supplied db-killer with the carbon can. I requested the new type of killer from Rich and got it.
And as you know it replaces the existing insert, which is forbidden to remove without remapping...
I installed the new, "tighter" insert today and was very surprised, not only was the noise level acceptable, but also how it made a big difference on how the engine behaved. Especially in lower rpm. Now the bike feels and sounds as it should! :D
I'm going to get the bike dynoed with the different inserts, because I want to see how much, if any, power I lose... And if there is no significant difference, I will surely keep the narrower insert.
1290 Super Duke -14

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes it's surprising how back pressure affects the character of the bike.
It will lose a litt top end power but at a point we rarely use.

DMacL
Stunt rider

Postby DMacL » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Tete wrote:I got the full GP3 system with the carbon can, removed the SAS-system almost instantly, because of the excessive popping after installing the Akra-map.
I really love the quality and looks of the pipe, of course without the db-killer, but I have to admit the it was a bit louder, than I hoped for...
Then I heard that it''s not recommended to use the supplied db-killer with the carbon can. I requested the new type of killer from Rich and got it.
And as you know it replaces the existing insert, which is forbidden to remove without remapping...
I installed the new, "tighter" insert today and was very surprised, not only was the noise level acceptable, but also how it made a big difference on how the engine behaved. Especially in lower rpm. Now the bike feels and sounds as it should! :D
I'm going to get the bike dynoed with the different inserts, because I want to see how much, if any, power I lose... And if there is no significant difference, I will surely keep the narrower insert.

Tete, or Neo for that matter, fancy making a video with this new, tighter insert fitted for us?

roket
Minimoto racer

Postby roket » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:03 am

I've installed the GP2R carbon can (db killer removed) and have been running the stock map... I'm planning to get the akra map loaded within a week or so.
I'm wondering if I will notice any changes (performance, sound, etc...?)once I get the new map installed??? The bike is completely stock except for removing the cat and putting the different pipe on.

Thanks!
.:1290:.

MacaveliMC
Two wheeled terror

Postby MacaveliMC » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:05 am

roket wrote:I've installed the GP2R carbon can (db killer removed) and have been running the stock map... I'm planning to get the akra map loaded within a week or so.
I'm wondering if I will notice any changes (performance, sound, etc...?)once I get the new map installed??? The bike is completely stock except for removing the cat and putting the different pipe on.

Thanks!

I'll just be impressed if you manage to get the akra map loaded....my dealer won't do it still, said they got lucky once and blew a bunch of other ECU's. :x

ktmguy
Site Admin

Postby ktmguy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 am

MacaveliMC wrote:
roket wrote:I've installed the GP2R carbon can (db killer removed) and have been running the stock map... I'm planning to get the akra map loaded within a week or so.

Thanks!

I'll just be impressed if you manage to get the akra map loaded....my dealer won't do it still, said they got lucky once and blew a bunch of other ECU's. :x

As mentioned, I only charge $80 an hour for the how to do it. I'm sure I'm cheaper than KTM techs.
And no, you can't blow up the ECU with the diagnostic tool!
If you don't do anything stupid when young, you have nothing to smile about when old!

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

I can try to make some kind of video during the weekend, I just don't have any good camera to make it with... Guess I'll have to try my Z3..
There seems to be a big difference with the KTM-dealers around the world. My local dealer, Bike World, has been really great so far. When I went there after I got the bike on the road and asked them to upload the Akra-map and update the instruments, they did it without any questions...
The tech who was doing the upload, didn't actually know about the new update for the instruments, but he checked it after I told him the required version number and found it. And I was really surprised that they only charged me 30 euros, for the whole thing... :o
1290 Super Duke -14

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:00 am

I'm planning on ordering the GP3 exhaust with the GP2 carbon can. If I leave the insert (db killer) in I should do fine with the stock map, am I correct?

I have ordered a PCV and will have it dyno tuned once I get the Rotty air box but I would like to be able to run this exhaust before investing on the rest at a future time. Thanks.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

roket
Minimoto racer

Postby roket » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:19 am

Turkishexpress wrote:I'm planning on ordering the GP3 exhaust with the GP2 carbon can. If I leave the insert (db killer) in I should do fine with the stock map, am I correct?

I have ordered a PCV and will have it dyno tuned once I get the Rotty air box but I would like to be able to run this exhaust before investing on the rest at a future time. Thanks.

I've got the gp2 carbon can installed and took the db killer out immediately as Austin Racing mentioned the carbon could fail with the killer in.... So I've been running the stock map with the GP2 can for about a month, all has been fine. But if you let the bike idle for 5 minutes the headers will start to glow red (running lean). As long as I don't let it idle too long and get moving I didn't have any worry. But PCV and dyno tune was too pricey in my opinion.

I just had my dealer load the Akra map today which richens up the air fuel ratio.. First gear doesn't seem as snappy/rough and it seems to idle a little smoother.... If you have any specific questions let me know.
.:1290:.

Turkishexpress
Two wheeled terror

Postby Turkishexpress » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:12 am

roket wrote:
Turkishexpress wrote:I'm planning on ordering the GP3 exhaust with the GP2 carbon can. If I leave the insert (db killer) in I should do fine with the stock map, am I correct?

I've got the gp2 carbon can installed and took the db killer out immediately as Austin Racing mentioned the carbon could fail with the killer in.... So I've been running the stock map with the GP2 can for about a month, all has been fine. But if you let the bike idle for 5 minutes the headers will start to glow red (running lean). As long as I don't let it idle too long and get moving I didn't have any worry. But PCV and dyno tune was too pricey in my opinion.

I just had my dealer load the Akra map today which richens up the air fuel ratio.. First gear doesn't seem as snappy/rough and it seems to idle a little smoother.... If you have any specific questions let me know.

Good deal. I thought the carbon failing was exclusive to the 110mm GP2-R and not the GP2 which is 220mm. Because if that's the case, I don't mind going with the titanium can by itself and keep the db killer in. I always worry about motors running lean.
2015 SuperDuke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 (Track)

NEO
Two wheeled terror

Postby NEO » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:30 am

You can run without the db killer without having the map installed, it's the insert within the link pipe you must leave in unless you remap with the ktm full system map.
We now use a newly designed db killer that you can use with carbon gp2 or gp2r

Tete
Minimoto racer

Postby Tete » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Here is the video I promised... Hopefully it gives you some idea how the bike sounds.. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wl_HGHSRw
1290 Super Duke -14

PreviousNext

Return to Technical [SDR 1290]